Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #11
Der Wanderer

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Things I would like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Let me add that Pyramid article on Elven Martial Arts.
I would like to see more "alien" styles for beeings with more than two arms / with tails / with horns...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

I'd like to see Precognitive Parry: trying to recreate the Jedis' ability to parry blaster bolts is driving me insane!

P.S. For Nine: you cannot parry anything weighting more than your Basic Lift. Unarmed attacks have a "relative weight" of 1/10 the attacker's ST (see B376 for all of that), so Tank Boy simpli needs to be veeeeeery strong!
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther
[*]Fairbairn Close Combat Training from GURPS WWII: Hand of Steel.
If it's got Fairbairn, I hope it also has MCMAP.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer
I would like to see more "alien" styles for beeings with more than two arms / with tails / with horns...
...not to forget more futuristic styles, too: The Path of Zero G; Vacc Suit Kung Fu; Cybernetic-Warrior-Path; The Way of Robotic Harmony...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #15
Der Wanderer

Quote:
...not to forget more futuristic styles, too: The Path of Zero G; Vacc Suit Kung Fu; Cybernetic-Warrior-Path; The Way of Robotic Harmony...
yup, and Gun-Fu...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #16
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
If you think human beings should be able to parry cars, then play it that way.
You’re missing the point, did you not read the bit where I said “What if you’re really strong like Superman?” I don’t think normal human beings should be able to parry cars. I want to know what the largest thing a normal can parry is? And are they at no penalty parry it? Do they go straight from being able to parry without penalties to impossible to parry? How strong would you have to be to parry a car? A ST 10 person can not parry a car, what about a ST300 person? ST200? ST100? ST50? ST30?

Quote:
Do you seriously want a rule which says "No one can parry an attack from a creature which a zillion times his mass, ST and size"? Is this necessary?
You’re missing the point, what if the attack is from a creature that’s 1.5 times his mass, ST and size? 2 times his mass, ST and size? 3 times? 4? 5? 10? 20? 30? 100? Where’s the dividing line? And does it go straight from being able to parry without penalties to impossible to parry?
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #17
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
I'd like to see Precognitive Parry: trying to recreate the Jedis' ability to parry blaster bolts is driving me insane!
Yep, me too.

Quote:
P.S. For Nine: you cannot parry anything weighting more than your Basic Lift. Unarmed attacks have a "relative weight" of 1/10 the attacker's ST (see B376 for all of that), so Tank Boy simpli needs to be veeeeeery strong!
Thanks for pointing this out, I hadn't seen it either. This seems to clear that question up. Actually reading the rules can help understanding them... :)
Old 02-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #18
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
Thanks! That clarifies some issues, however correct me if I’m wrong: ST10 = Impossible to parry ST 200, no penalty to parry ST199.

That doesn’t seem right.

Edit:
Are there any guidelines for attacks that are too fast? You could use the Size and Speed/Range table if there were anyway to work out how fast your punch was.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 02-06-2006 at 10:08 AM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #19
laserdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead
Thanks! That clarifies some issues, however correct me if I’m wrong: ST10 = Impossible to parry ST 200, no penalty to parry ST199.

That doesn’t seem right.
No sillier than the fact that Tank boy (ST 200) is completely unencumbered when carrying 8000. But is suddenly slowed by 20% at 8001?

Again, there's a very distinct seperation between the damage of an attack and it's skill.

If you want Tank's punches to be hard to parry, buy up his skill so he can do deceptive attacks.

Otherwise, he'll continue to get his unwieldly haymakers side-stepped by skilled ST 10 martial artists...

Asking for there to be an official rule that the strength differential between two combantants induces a penalty to defense is, quite frankly, a rule I'm glad doesn't exist, as it would be, in my opinion, an unnecessary mechanic that doesn't add anything to the gameplay.

But that sort of thing definitely sounds appropriate for a campaign-specific house-rule, no doubt.

Last edited by laserdog; 02-06-2006 at 10:22 AM.
laserdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #20
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
A paragraph or 2 on using the art/sport skills for ritualised lethal combat; think Legend of the Five Rings iaijutsu rules. You can’t always do what’s best because it’s against The Rules.
We'll have a section on tournament combat.

Quote:
E.g. when does it become impossible to parry an attack?
Already covered in the Basic Set, which has rules for assigning an effective weapon weight to a fist based on ST, and a maximum weapon weight that you can parry based on your ST.

Quote:
How many levels of Speed, Enhanced Time Sense and Altered time rate do I need to dodge bullets like Neo?
We have specific bullet-time rules.

Quote:
The heart hit location:
That's what the "vitals" location is supposed to be from the front. We're not splitting hairs like that.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote