Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2016, 03:19 AM   #21
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Independent Innate Attack

The simplest I see is to take Extra Attack (as you did) and 'Extra Defense' but add Long to make the 'arm' as far as the attack (Long is much cheaper in my houserules, so it might seem too expensive to you). Adding Sacrificial Defense would just ice the cake.

Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure how you actually parry an attack with a normal IA, but Melee Capable with some house-ruled enhancement (or maybe just Reflexive) would let you parry with the attack (it would defined as a melee attack for parry purposes).

3e GURPS had a 50% on Surfing (I think? it was a 'type' of Flight) that lets it work while unconscious. Any defense power seems fair to me at that price (it protects you on it's own).

Lastly, I don't know if any of that actually gives you a second chance to defend yourself. ATR (All Out Defense only -40?%) would do that.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #22
Tinman

Shaun is actually one of the players in my DF campaign.
The situation is that he's trying to do a 'power defense'* using the halo/innate attack power. While I'm OK with the concept of a 'point defense system' the 11 point extra arm build (on page 1) seams too cheap for what he is getting.

* If you are unfamiliar with power defense see either Powers or Psionic Powers, it's explained there.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #23
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
If you bought the Reflexive enhancement for an active defense I think that it would active on top of normal combat (meaning that it would still work if doing an all-out attack, or that you would get 2 defenses if attacking normally, or 3 defenses if doing all-out defense) similar to how Passive Defense worked in 3e.

Just like Passive Defense, Reflexive makes it work even if you're not awake. Unlike passive defense though, I don't think Reflexive necessarily works if you're unconscious.
Does Reflexive mean that it would parry the first legal 'target' (attack) that it can, or would I be able to hold it back in case I miss a shield block or parry with my weapon?
That way, as mentioned in a later post, if I want to use the skill as an attack later in the same round, I don't need to get multi-strike, or a rate of fire of more than 1 (depending on who you ask). Unless the use as a defense doesn't count against the use as an attack. It's not unbalanced, after all.
Still, the question stands... Does it need to be used against the first possible attack because it's 'reflexive', or can I hold it back for another attack?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #24
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Does Reflexive mean that it would parry the first legal 'target' (attack) that it can, or would I be able to hold it back in case I miss a shield block or parry with my weapon?
That way, as mentioned in a later post, if I want to use the skill as an attack later in the same round, I don't need to get multi-strike, or a rate of fire of more than 1 (depending on who you ask). Unless the use as a defense doesn't count against the use as an attack. It's not unbalanced, after all.
Still, the question stands... Does it need to be used against the first possible attack because it's 'reflexive', or can I hold it back for another attack?
I wouldn't charge more than an extra 10% to make it always wait until you've attempted another active defense roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Shaun is actually one of the players in my DF campaign.
The situation is that he's trying to do a 'power defense'* using the halo/innate attack power. While I'm OK with the concept of a 'point defense system' the 11 point extra arm build (on page 1) seams too cheap for what he is getting.

* If you are unfamiliar with power defense see either Powers or Psionic Powers, it's explained there.
That build would still be based on his Parry skill, and take the same penalties as multiple parries normally would. He'll also need to put points into Missile Parry if he wants to stop ranged attacks.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #25
Shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
I wouldn't charge more than an extra 10% to make it always wait until you've attempted another active defense roll.

That build would still be based on his Parry skill, and take the same penalties as multiple parries normally would. He'll also need to put points into Missile Parry if he wants to stop ranged attacks.
Does a power parry occupy the same defensive 'slot' as a physical parry? Ie. parry, block, dodge...
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #26
Tinman

Quote:
Does a power parry occupy the same defensive 'slot' as a physical parry? Ie. parry, block, dodge...
IDHMBWM so I can't quote page #'s but according to both Powers & Psionic Powers, it does count as a parry (or a block for power block & dodge for power dodge).
Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #27
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
IDHMBWM so I can't quote page #'s but according to both Powers & Psionic Powers, it does count as a parry.
Powers appears to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers 167
Power defenses aren’t mundane defenses, though. A hero can attempt a Power Block and a mundane block on the same turn, has no penalty on future parries if he tries a Power Parry, and can attempt a Power Parry during a Move and Attack. No one may use more than one power defense per turn, however.
These rules don’t apply to abilities with the Active Defense limitation. Such abilities use the rules under Active Defense (p. 112) instead.
I see only a few references to "parry" in Psi Powers, mostly adding the No Parry Limitation to some Innate attacks, along with a discussion of parrying for the Astral Sword ability, and a mention of the Strong Blade perk for PK to treat a regular weapon as fine. No hits for "power parry" at all in that book.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #28
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
What's that distinction actually do? There's no cumulative penalty for multiple parries, there's a penalty for multiple parries with the same limb. (Block doesn't expressly say it works that way, but I'd certainly rule it did.) Dodges don't have a penalty at all unless one is added, though if it is there might only be one 'line' of them.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #29
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Powers appears to disagree.

I see only a few references to "parry" in Psi Powers, mostly adding the No Parry Limitation to some Innate attacks, along with a discussion of parrying for the Astral Sword ability, and a mention of the Strong Blade perk for PK to treat a regular weapon as fine. No hits for "power parry" at all in that book.
Oops! I've been doing it wrong then. Thank you Anaraxes.

As for Psionic Powers: It's on page 8. under 'power defenses'.
Apparently it is it's own thing there.

Tags
attack, gurps, independent, innate, powers