Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
Appletoe

Default Re: Blinding Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Then you don't fail the resistance roll, so nothing happens.
OK, but isn't the effect permanent, so it doesn't need any modifiers to duration?
Appletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #12
Clockwork_Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Maybe I'm missing something... but why not just drop the "Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%" part of the Aura build. It's never felt 'integral' (being that's it's a separate limiter).
To my understanding, the "Melee Attack, Reach C" limitation is used to set the the location of the ability-holder as the origin point of the Area of Effect.
Quote:
Or for that matter why not some form of Area Effect + Emanation without the Aura? The light is only blinding out so far.
You need "Aura" to keep it constantly on; an Emanation is more like a burst. Though it's interesting to note that Aura + Melee Attack, Reach C + Dissipation + Always On + Area Effect achieves the same effect as Emanation + Always On + Area Effect, and is worth the same in limitations.

As for why I didn't use Emanation or Dissipation: more levels of Affliction are needed to compensate for the resistance bonus. I went with the Affliction + Obscure build to keep the ability economical.

It might be appropriate to stick an Area Effect and Dissipation onto Obscure, however, if the latter is allowed.
Clockwork_Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #13
Appletoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post
To my understanding, the "Melee Attack, Reach C" limitation is used to set the the location of the ability-holder as the origin point of the Area of Effect.

You need "Aura" to keep it constantly on; an Emanation is more like a burst. Though it's interesting to note that Aura + Melee Attack, Reach C + Dissipation + Always On + Area Effect achieves the same effect as Emanation + Always On + Area Effect, and is worth the same in limitations.

As for why I didn't use Emanation or Dissipation: more levels of Affliction are needed to compensate for the resistance bonus. I went with the Affliction + Obscure build to keep the ability economical.

It might be appropriate to stick an Area Effect and Dissipation onto Obscure, however, if the latter is allowed.

I think with emanation you're meant to use persistent and extended duration (permanent) in place of always on.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
Clockwork_Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletoe View Post
I think with emanation you're meant to use persistent and extended duration (permanent) in place of always on.
That would require the ability-user to activate the power, rather than it being a passive, constant thing. And it would leave the Area of Effect centered on the location where the ability-user activated it, rather than moving with them.
Clockwork_Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post
Ahhh. That explains it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
Anders

So what happens if I take Line of Sight for the Affliction and combines it with Always on?
Old 10-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #17
Appletoe

This isn't in response to the question above this post, but have you considered obscure, OP? It seems like that advantage was specifically made for abilities like this.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #18
Anders

That makes it difficult to see the person, but the effect I want is that if anyone looks at the person, they find it difficult to see anything.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So what happens if I take Line of Sight for the Affliction and combines it with Always on?
Always on is a disadvantage, not an advantage. It doesn't let you keep the ability on at all times. Being able to do that is a prerequisite of always on. Always on prevents you from ever turning the ability off.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #20
Anders

I PMed Kromm, he suggests:

Quote:
I would use Affliction modified with:
  • Always On, -20% (more than socially inconvenient, but not physically dangerous to you like setting the world on fire would be)
  • Area Effect, +50%/level (as much as you need to get the range you want)
  • Disadvantage, Blindness, +50% (obviously!)
  • Emanation, -20% (because it radiates from your body)
  • Reduced Duration, 1/60, -35% (to get the usual minute per point of failure down to a second)
  • Vision-Based, +150% (affects those who look at you and bypasses DR)
That's +125%, +50% per level of Area Effect. So it's 23 points, +5 points/level for Area Effect.

Tags
affliction, afflictions