Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
ArchonShiva

Default Timing of Levitation

When you cast Levitation orApportation, , whether on your or another target, does movement occur on the turn of casting or only starts next turn?

My reading is that on the turn you cast a spell, it has the listed spell's effect, much like Smoke creates smoke.

For apportation, the listed effect is "The subject floats horizontally or vertically at Move 1[...]", so that's what happens when you cast it, but I can see the alternative argument.

Couldn't find rulings on this either for this game or the other game, but it's a pretty big deal regarding combat use of the spell.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Tom H.

Default Re: Timing of Levitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
. . . does movement occur on the turn of casting or only starts next turn?
I believe that movement should NOT occur during the same turn in which the spell is cast.

However, I believe that during the same turn as the successful cast, the subject would immediately become "weightless."

Discussion:

It would be my preference anyway that this be the case as I am always hesitant to crowd more activities into a one-second turn.

Furthermore, upon reviewing the text of the Apportation spell, the caster must concentrate (a maneuver) in order to effect the movement. That should take the entirety of separate turn. I would not merge that concentration with the same one required for the ritual and spell casting.

The immediate levitation (weightlessness) could become important in combat if the floor disappeared or the subject was knocked over a cliff before his next turn.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Furthermore, upon reviewing the text of the Apportation spell, the caster must concentrate (a maneuver) in order to effect the movement. That should take the entirety of separate turn. I would not merge that concentration with the same one required for the ritual and spell casting.
I concur. If you don't have a way of taking multiple Concentrate maneuvers per turn (and haven't taken all of your maneuvers yet) then you can't take another concentrate to make them move until your next turn.

But if you have something like Great Haste, and use your first maneuver to cast the spell, you could spend your second on Concentrating to move the target.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
ArchonShiva

Interesting. I always took for granted that whatever the spell describes as the effect ("the subject floats horizontally or vertically at move 1") happened on the turn of casting.

You both agree with my GM, thanks.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

I've always run it that the Wizard (if the subject) get's the Move immediately (doesn't require Concentration), but if Moving another that then requires additional Concentration.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
Interesting. I always took for granted that whatever the spell describes as the effect ("the subject floats horizontally or vertically at move 1") happened on the turn of casting.

You both agree with my GM, thanks.
This is an excellent question. My initial inclination would have been that on the turn you cast the spell, you take the Concentrate maneuver, and that’s all you do. On subsequent turns you take a Concentrate maneuvers to do whatever.

However, “whatever the spell describes as the effect … happened on the turn of casting” seems to generally be the case for most spells, does it not? So why should these spells in particular be nerfed?

Last edited by Captain Joy; 10-18-2018 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added last sentence
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote