Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: Converting GURPS characters to TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Like I said a few posts back about how involved doing an accurate conversion would be in lieu of just going for *fudgey*: "Do what you like".

If you are really interested - and I would be surprised if you were - in what the actual multiplicative conversion factors are in the field of mathematics on the subject of values as units-of-measure and conversion; you might enjoy reading this.

But unless you are a mathematician, you might enjoy a root-canal more. ;-D

Otherwise, my best suggestion is what I also said in my earlier post: simply make your best estimate by feel and make a fudgey analog, and get out there and "Fight On!"
I understand unit conversion factors, but that only works for a one-dimensional conversion. ST in TFT & GURPS (& 1e-3e and 4e) each have a variety of effects that are all on different scales, each of which may also follow a curve. And personally, even if that weren't ridiculous numeric overkill of a choice of only one of many potential targets I'm not particularly interested in killing (which it is), I'd still be much more interested in creating a character that feels about like an appropriate analogue that makes sense for the other system. I was able to do that to my satisfaction since circa 1987, so while it would be interesting to see some math for single dimensions such as the encumbrance curve per ST compared between systems, I doubt I'd choose it over my experience of what feels about right, even if I also had graphs for damage for different weapons, jumping distance, unarmed damage, ability to break down doors, minST of weapons, throwing distance, etc etc..
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #22
JLV

Nomograms! We need moar nomograms! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #23
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Nomograms! We need moar nomograms! ;-)
"Cowbell... I got to have more cowbell!! ;-D

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:54 AM   #24
JLV

I like the cut of your jib, sir!
Old 06-16-2018, 04:28 AM   #25
RobW

Thanks all, this is exactly what I was looking for. JLV, just knowing that the someone has had reasonable success translating attributes directly is great, and Skarg the extra detail looks really useful for special/important encounters.

I wonder, it might be the proposed changes re unlimited talents will make the conversions just a little easier.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #26
JLV

Actually, RobW, I think they probably will. You'll no longer have to agonize over giving the Wizard a full range of Spells, but having to up his IQ into the stratosphere, or keeping his IQ at a reasonable level and then having to radically cut his available spells.

All in all, I like the new system, and I think it will work well; and I also think it will make it a LOT easier to pull GURPS Splat Books and translate them into TFT terms for my campaigns.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #27
tbeard1999

I gotta say, I never thought I’d ever see a serious discussion titled “converting GURPS characters to TFT”.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #28
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Actually, RobW, I think they probably will. You'll no longer have to agonize over giving the Wizard a full range of Spells, but having to up his IQ into the stratosphere, or keeping his IQ at a reasonable level and then having to radically cut his available spells. ...
Hi all, JLV.
Remember that in GURPS, you often have to get a bunch of pretty dull, weak spells before you hit the useful ones. One of the nice things in TFT was pretty much every spell was usefully strong and you can take them in any order.

So you certainly don't need to find a parallel for every GURPS spell, just the stronger ones.

That said, GURPS has a LOT more spells than TFT. Hopefully we will get additional books that give more talents and spells.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #29
JLV

Right, Rick. If I'm are converting from GURPS, I tend to ignore Spells that don't have a TFT analogue. I believe I mentioned that earlier -- if the spells exist in TFT, I give them to the character, but if they don't, I generally ignore them...

The issue previously was what that did to the character's IQ when I converted them (they had to have enough IQ to handle the Spells). Under the new system, that won't be a problem any more.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #30
Infornific

I took a stab at converting some pre-existing GURPS characters, with a formula of TFT Attribute points = GURPS Character Points/10 + 21. I used GURPS attributes as ballpark for TFT. I wound up boosting IQ for a lot of them to get enough skills and I'm wondering if the formula should be GURPS Character Points/10 + 24.

Here's what I got:

36 point (GURPS 150 point equivalent)

Corwin Bearclaw (Hero)

ST: 12 DX: 12 (9) IQ: 12

Talents: Alertness (2), Crossbow (1), Naturalist (2), Shield (1), Silent Movement (2), Sword (2), Tracking (1), Woodsman (1)

Chainmail, Small Shield (stops 4 hits), Broadsword

Dai Blackthorn (Hero)

ST: 9 DX: 15 (14) IQ: 12

Talents: Alertness (2), Detect Traps (1), Master Thief (2), Remove Traps (1), Silent Movement (2), Sword (2), Thief (2)

Cloth armor (stops 1 hit), Knife, Rapier

I gave Dai Alertness to simulate his Danger Sense.

Katrina (Hero)

ST: 11 DX: 13 (11) IQ: 12

Talents: Armourer (2), Bow (2), Courtly Graces (1), Literacy (1), Silent Movement (2), Sword (2), Tactics (1), Tracking (1)

Leather armor (stops 2 hits), Knife, Shortsword, Longbow

Rowan of the Woods (Hero)

ST: 10 DX: 14 (13) IQ: 12

Talents: Alertness (1), Business Sense (2), Recognize Value (1), Silent Movement (2), Sword (2), Thief (2), Thrown Weapons (2)

Arguably, Master Thief would be more appropriate but I wanted her to be a bit different from Dai.

Cloth armor (stops 1 hit), Throwing Knives, Cutlass

46 point (GURPS 250 point equivalent) Taken from DFRPG.

Masha Deathfoot (Hero)

ST: 14 DX: 17 (16) IQ: 15

Talents: Silent Movement (2), Unarmed Combat I (2), Unarmed Combat II (2), Unarmed Combat III (2), Unarmed Combat IV (2), Unarmed Combat V (3), Warrior (2)

Cloth armor (stops 1 hit)

Miao Miao (Hero)

ST: 13 DX: 20 (18) IQ: 13

Talents: Acrobatics (3), Fencing (3), Shield (1), Silent Movement (2), Sword (2), Unarmed Combat I (2)

Leather armor & Small Shield (stops 1 hit), Bastard sword, Knives

Note: If TFT had a Cloak skill, I would use that instead. Alternately, replace Shield with Two Weapons and raise IQ to 15 and drop DX to 18.

Have to admit, these are much simpler character sheets.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote