Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 07-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #451
juris

Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Yes, they definitely do.

I've always thought the damage for single-shot rockets should be increased by one die, with MnRs doing 1DD. A 4DD HR would really terrorize people (as it should).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post

It is hard to rationalise a single light rocket costing $75 and weighing 25 lb when a single round from the MML which has slightly better performance costs $20 and only weighs 2.5 lb. Single shot rockets get a bum deal in CW ;)
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:29 AM   #452
swordtart

The primary benefit of rocket weapons in the real world is that they carry more punch vs weight than an equivalent artillery version (when the weight of the artillery piece is taken into account). Rockets are effectively recoiless and so the launcher can be made much lighter than a gun.

If you are only having a battery of 2 or three rounds, a missile/rocket is more weight efficient than a gun plus 3 rounds of equivalent ammunition. If you intend firing lots of rounds then the extra weight of say 100 rockets vs 100 rounds of ammunition outweighs the additional weight of the gun.

IRL rockets are not necessarily any less accurate than a conventional weapon. The CRV70 is about as accurate as a chain gun.

For equivalence (and extrapolating from the weapon weight rules for tripod weapons), single shot rockets on cars should have the double the weight of their LAW equivalent - but LAWs are over-priced and should probably cost the same as their vehicle equivalent.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #453
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Yes, they definitely do.

I've always thought the damage for single-shot rockets should be increased by one die, with MnRs doing 1DD. A 4DD HR would really terrorize people (as it should).
Back when the HR first came out, the only other weapon which could match its damage potential cost $8,000.

I have a couple "basic-box" designs based around "how many HRs can one throw at an opponent, including a Van (of all things) with a 2-sp. turret (it doesn't have many volleys available, but it *will* leave a mark up-close).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #454
swordtart

The "Ambuscade" in para 25 of Brothers in Arms (ADQ 6-3) had 3 WGMs in a 3 space turret, each with 3 space rocket magazines, so a similar if more expensive set up.

It just sat parked up in the middle of a crossroads with each lane in all directions seeded with radio mines to create a belligerent road block. At $47,200 and with only 20 points armour on a side (and only 15 on the turret) it seemed a rather inefficient design.

It was also immobilised as it was surrounded by water filled 55 gal containers (to protect against rams I suppose). I believe the idea was that you sat there like a pillbox and engaged the enemy at extreme range and just kept plugging away before they got close enough to hit you (but as your opponent was a rig, that may not have panned out as expected).

I think I swapped it out for a van trailer instead and piled on tons of armour. Since the van couldn't move there seemed little point in wasting valuable weight capacity with a plant and driver, you might as well tow it there and leave it. The armour was probably a better weight per point than the van as well.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #455
kjamma4

I have used a WGM once. Started the duel in Midville at 0 mph and fired the first turn.

My opponent tried to maneuver away from the WGM and lost control, crashing and burning.

He would've taken less damage if he just let the WGM hit.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #456
swordtart

I just checked and the "Vanbuscade" had about 100 more points of armour and Plasticore tires. I also used laser guided HR rockets instead of WGM and it came in at half the price.

By pre-firing the laser you can get +2 sustained before you even start using the HR battery. You can now also afford a HRSWC for another +2. This means you are better off out to 20 (and they will be on you by around the 4th and final volley). With such limited ammo reserves you probably don't want to start firing much further out than that.

Question: Can you add more than 1 Rocket Magazine to a rocket? You have the space and budget to add another set of magazines to feed the turret, I assume this isn't allowed as this would mean a magazine could be more than 3 spaces (there is no space/cost/weight difference between 1 x 3 space magazing and 3 x 1 space magazines and therefore between 2 x 2 space magazines and 1 x 4 space magazine).

EDIT:
Now with added stats for the vehicles (since that is rather the point of the thread)

Vanbuscade: WGM Version
Car Trailer 15' Van, Std Chassis;
4 x Plasticore Tires;
Gunner
3 space Universal turret with 3 x WGM; Link (3 WGM)
3 x 3 spc Rocket Mag (To Turret) each with 3 x WGM
190 Armour (F 36, R 36, L 36, B 36, T 36, U 10)
HR SWC
Cargo 45 lb, 17 Spc
Cost $40,250 Weight 7,200 lb (incl. Cargo)

Vanbuscade: Heavy Rocket Version
Car Trailer 15' Van, XHvy Chassis;
4 x Plasticore Tires;
Gunner;
3 space Universal turret with 3x Laser Guided HR; Tuned Targeting Laser; 4 x Link (Each HR to Laser, 3x HRs);
3 x 3 spc Rocket Mag each with 3 x Laser Guided HR;
260 Armour (F 50, R 50, L 50, B 50, T 50, U 10);
HR SWC;
Cargo 525 lb, 17 Spc.
Cost $25,450, Weight 8,640lb (incl. Cargo)

The HR version has plenty of space to carry the empty water barrels and radio mines (or some support infantry). Alternatively you could beef up the armour and provide CA for the gunner station or if your rules allow add extra magazines for even more sustained firepower.

Upgrade the hitch on the Mule (described earlier) and you can haul an almost fully loaded Vanbuscade making a perfect low cost utility combo. You can either tow the Vanbuscade to it's set-up point, and deploy the riders around it, or at a pinch use the combo rolling (you might want to put a couple of riders in the trailer to fire from under armour).

Last edited by swordtart; 07-15-2019 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Added stats for vehicles
Old 07-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #457
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Question: Can you add more than 1 Rocket Magazine to a rocket? You have the space and budget to add another set of magazines to feed the turret, I assume this isn't allowed as this would mean a magazine could be more than 3 spaces (there is no space/cost/weight difference between 1 x 3 space magazing and 3 x 1 space magazines and therefore between 2 x 2 space magazines and 1 x 4 space magazine).
I don't see why REMs can't be stacked "indefinitely" (modulo 1/3-spaces rule) same as regular EMs. Might get a little difficult if one also wants a Rotary Mag for fire-selection. But this gets into the whole "rules editing" issue, which isn't what this thread is for.

As to adventure designs being less-than-optimal... here's what I was able to do with the _Guardian_ from _Midwest Passage_ in _ADQ 4/1_:

Luxury Version:

Lux.; XH chas.; Hv. susp.; Su. PP [2,600 PF]; 4x Sol. tire; Driver, Gunner. 2-sp. Univ. Tu.; VMG [Tu.]; AC [F]; HDSS [B]; IFE; Cargo [usu. 1x Pas.]; LD Radio; 2x TC. Armor [FP]: F, B, L, R, T: 25; U: 10. $29,250; 6,600 lbs. Acc.: 5; TS: 102.5; HC: 3.

Wagon Version:

Wagon; XH chas.; Hv. susp.; Su. PP [2,600 PF]; 4x Sol. tire; Driver. 2-sp. Univ. Tu.; VMG [Tu.]; HDSS [B]; IFE; IRSS; Cargo [usu. 2x Del. Pas.; incl. Sleep. Area]. Armor [FP]: F: 40; L, R, T: 30; B: 25 U: 20. $25,400; 6,600 lbs. Acc.: 5; TS: 102.5; HC: 3.

The Lux isn't much of an improvement over the Van (I think the AC is too much), but the Wagon is decidedly more survivable. I wonder if that's why the scenario designers never used Wagons....

79er

Last edited by 43Supporter; 07-11-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:12 AM   #458
43Supporter

Wow -- just unearthed this blast-from-the-past: A unpublished design from the "ASP-Nebraska War". Since ASP was a straight rip of COBRA, we tried to see how many actual GI JOE designs could be built using _CW_ rules; I managed to cram this together.

ASP _Rattler_

Lg. Airplane; St. PP w/ PC, SC [16,100 PF] ; 3x OR Std. tire; 3x A-P Prop w/ DC [1 ea. Wing F; 1 Body B] [26,450 PF]; Pi., Gn. Ls (Pulse) [F]; 2-sp. Univ. Tu. [T]; 2x LL (L) [Tu.]; 4x SAM (L) [F]; Ret. Land. Gear; 2x Tilt-Rotor [W Props only]; IR/Thermograph; 2x 3-sp. REWP [1 ea. W]; 6x CB15 (2x L: 1 ea. 3) [W REWPs]; 2x 4-sp. REWP [U]; 4x AAM (2x L: 1 ea. 2) [F REWPs]; 2x Ej. Safety Seat; IR Laser Rangefinder [Ls]; Lite Amp.; Tel. Optics; Mil. Acft. Radio; Radar w/ Radar Alt.; OR Susp. Armor: F: 225 pts. LRP [F, T, U: 40; L, R, B: 35]]; Wings: 2x 10-pt. LRP; Pr.: 3x 4-pt. P. $212,155; 16,000 lbs.
Acc.|TS (rg., tilt): 15|347.5, 5|150; SS: 100; HC: 1

(I know OR Susp. isn't supposed to be allowed on units this heavy, nor are Tilt-Rotors supposed to travel faster than 50 MPH; but this is yet another of the things the author of the rules got wrong, despite being told otherwise. Also: Since a 3-prop plane with one prop lost performs normally, I assume in tilt-rotor mode, the B-facing prop is shut down.)

79er

Last edited by 43Supporter; 07-17-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #459
swordtart

Silver Bullet by Swordtart:
Mid-Sized; Streamlining; Extra Heavy chassis; Heavy suspension; Sport PP w/PCs, SCs, HDHTMs, Overdrive;
4 PR Radial tires, HD Shocks, HD Brakes, ABS;.
Driver with 10 pts plastic CA;
Vehicular Shotgun and 10 shots (R);
40 pts. Sloped LR Metal and 110 pts. Sloped Plastic (F: 8/25 R: 8/20 L: 8/20 B: 8/25 T: 8/10 U: 0/10);
2x1 pt. LR Metal Hubs F, 2x1 pt. LR Metal Guards B; Cargo 50lb, 1 spaces
Cost: $23,882, Wgt: 5,760lb (inc. Cargo),
HC: 4, Top Speed: 147.5 (97.5, 167.5), Accel: 10 (20, 5).

One of the fastest vehicles on the road, the Silver Bullet was initially designed as a light combat racer. The unusual choice of Vehicular Shotgun presumes a rear attack. About as easy to aim as a hosepipe it's low damage is offset by the speed a closing target would need to achieve. At race speeds even a minor hit can cause terminal control loss.

The highly polished metal outer armour explains the name and unusually for a design of this type the protection is credible (other than the vulnerable under body). It has extended resilience against the usual weapons mounted by vehicles able to keep pace with it, but it's real protection is its speed.

The design has a small surplus capacity, ideal for a light courier cargo. There has been some speculation whether some secret advantage was removed from the race variant prior to general release as the expectation would be that every ounce of capacity would have been utilised. In reality the capacity was simple to accommodate the forward and rear facing cameras mandated by the network.

In more conventional road use the VS is often stripped out and replaced or at least moved. Alternate load outs witnessed have been Gas Streamers (as these are even easier to aim), defensive gas weapons or even passenger capacity.

Other than the VS, this doesn't seem a bad choice for a fast courier on patrolled roads. Clearly anyone going that fast on un-patrolled roads would need some pretty keen vision to avoid getting into trouble quicker than they could get out of it. Dropped weapons or just debris could badly mess up your day. At least the HD shocks mean you need a hefty shove to start to erode your frankly exceptional HC.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:22 AM   #460
swordtart

Cobra by Swordtart:
Mid-Sized; CA Frame; Extra Heavy chassis; Heavy suspension;
Super PP w/PCs, SCs, HDHTMs, Overdrive;
4 Solid Radial tires, HD Shocks, HD Brakes, ABS; 2x10 pt. Plastic Guards F; 2x10 pt. Plastic Guards B.
Driver; Gunner;
2x linked Heavy Machine Gun w/40xHD (F); Paint Spray w/25xPaint (B).
245 pts. Plastic (F: 55 R: 50 L: 50 B: 55 T: 20 U: 15);
Cargo: 5lb, No Space; Cost: $34,880, Wgt: 5,755;
HC: 3, Top Speed: 122.5 (80, 142.5), Accel: 10 (20, 5).

Adder by Swordtart:
4 Solid Radial tires, HD Shocks, HD Brakes, ABS; 2x10 pt. Plastic Guards F; 2x10 pt. Plastic Guards B.
Driver; Gunner.
2s Turret with 2 x Linked Heavy Machine Gun w/40xStandard; Paint Spray w/25xPaint (B).
Bumper Spikes F, Bumper Spikes B.
7 pts. LR Metal and 205 pts. Plastic (F: 0/45 R: 0/40 L: 0/40 B: 0/45 T: 7/20 U: 0/15);
Cargo 45lb, No Space;
Cost: $34,048, Wgt: 5,715;
HC: 3, Top Speed: 122.5 (80, 142.5), Accel: 10 (20, 5).

Sidewinder by Swordtart:
Driver; Gunner.
1s Sponson R with Heavy Machine Gun w/20xStandard; 1s Sponson L with Heavy Machine Gun w/20xStandard; Paint Spray w/25xPaint (B).
245 pts. Plastic (F: 55 R: 50 L: 50 B: 55 T: 20 U: 15);
Cargo: 55lb , No Space;
Cost: $34,330, Wgt: 5,705;
HC: 3, Top Speed: 122.5 (82.5, 142.5), Accel: 10 (20, 5).

The Serpens series. Fast, agile and with a vicious bite, the new range provides options to suit your style. Whether it is the Cobra with it's conventional gunfighter configuration and heavy firepower, the Adder with its all round firepower and heavily armoured turret or the Sidewinder with flexible sponsons. All feature optimised agility, resilience and extra capacity for personal equipment or lightweight after market modification. With a dedicated gunner position so you can concentrate on driving.

A few different variations on a theme. This assumes the stats for the HMG in UACFH. It will take skill to use the sponsons effectively, but they may benefit from a smart-link. The Cobras HMGs can be moved to rear or side for stern defence or wall hugging as appropriate. The base design will benefit from targeting computers and possibly smart-links, but which you need will depend heavily on how you intend to use them and these are cost only modifications.