Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default Wolverine claws

Wolverine claws are superfine, but I would bet that they are not vibroblades. What do you think?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Wolverine claws

If you're talking the Marvel characters of that name (there's three of them: Logan, his son Daken, and his genetic daughter Laura), then I would say Yes. In fact, I might go as far as say that their adamantium-laced claws are Hyperdense rather than Superfine.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
Celjabba

If you describe them as gear.
Superfine at the strict minimum, you can argue for hyperdense.
Vibroblade as written in UT is not a good match, as it need to be activated.

I would use either Strikers or an IA, myself.

If you do an advanced search on the forums, you will get half a dozen or so wolverine builds, suitable for all budgets :)

It also depend on the wolverine statted (early comics, later comics, video games, animes, movies, ... )
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Phantasm

I went with Modified ST-Based Damage 2d-1 (Accessibility: Only With Claws, -10%; Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Switchable, +10%) [27] + Striker (Cutting; Claws) (Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Link (Modified ST-Based Damage), +10%; Switchable, +10%; Alternative Attack, ×1/5) [6] + Striker (Impaling; Claws) (Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Switchable, +10%) [33]. Grand total: 66 points.

Switchable because the claws can retract.

Not sure why I used Link on one Striker but not the other....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 02-01-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
naloth

I've based it off Talons (almost exactly like above) as well as IA. Here's an alternative using Innate Attack

IA 4d cutting (AP/10 +200%; Melee: Range C, Dual, -20%; Thrusting Blade* +15%) [83]

I don't believe you need switchable because Innate Attacks are only usual visible while being used. You can also add Destructive Parry for +10% if you want it to automatically damage anything it parries or anything used to parry these claws.

This does 2d impaling and 4d cutting dividing armor by 10. It should come out similar to the above, but this attack won't be dependent on your ST for either cost or damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
An argument can be made for AD (Infinite).
AD/100 was also suggested for +250%.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #6
Bruno

Quote:
These shouldn't have Link at all. Link removes the necessity to spend an action to activate a power. Like any Always On advantage, Strikers do not need an action to activate. Instead, make your most expensive striker Switchable, and the secondary advantages should have Accessability: Only when using (other Advantage).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
naloth

Quote:
I went with Modified ST-Based Damage 2d-1 (Accessibility: Only With Claws, -10%; Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Switchable, +10%) [27] + Striker (Cutting; Claws) (Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Link (Modified ST-Based Damage), +10%; Switchable, +10%; Alternative Attack, ×1/5) [6] + Striker (Impaling; Claws) (Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%; Switchable, +10%) [33]. Grand total: 66 points.
...and that is why I used IA instead. Shorter, easier to read, and probably similar cost after you match the damage and armor piercing/ignoring abilities.

You went with striker for the better parrying ability? Unlike "claws", a striker would only be one... You couldn't DWA with this.

Quote:
Yes, nothing should need link here.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Hide

Hey there,

If you want Wolverine's claws, there's natural weapons on Pyramid #3-65: Alternate GURPS; this issue even quotes the Wolverine. It provides some examples, you could start with "Ultra sharp claws" from page 26 (for 44 CP).

This is a “cost-effective” suggestion of mine (27 CP, instead of 44 CP):

Impaling +8, Increased damage 2 (+1 thr) +60%, Armor divisor (2) (+50%), Unbreakable (+40%), Extra damage type (cutting) (+20%), Extra reach (C, 1) (+50%), Switchable (+10%) [27]

And well, these “natural weapons” work via Brawling; you could even make them work with your boxing or karate skills (featuring dual weapon attack). The ST depends on your character and you do not need any extra modifiers to make it work whenever you require it. If you check the book you could add even more modifiers such as enhanced parry, destructive parry, swing damage, etc.

Last edited by Hide; 02-01-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
Humabout

Were Wolverine's claws ever unable to cut anything that wasn't adamantium? They might just be Cosmic (300%), with adamantium having Cosmic DR.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #10
Plane

He tried and failed to cut Hyperion, but that guy would probably have Cosmic DR like Adamantium too, given he's a Superman parody.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote