Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Needing GM advice for Improvising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
The funny thing is that I actually am a quick conversationalist. I just have a hard time getting into character and talking like them, on the spot.
This seems consistent with what I've learned.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Propjock

I'm not great at it, but good enough for my friends. I don't really try and do voices (especially women), but I do have a good idea of what they would say given that I write my own adventures. If you know your adventure you stand a better chance.

One thing to consider is to listen to RPG play session podcasts for how other GMs approach it. Here's one I enjoy: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/
Propjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This seems consistent with what I've learned.
There is a spurious "not" in point #2, and a missing verb in the first sentence of point #9.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
There is a spurious "not" in point #2, and a missing verb in the first sentence of point #9.
Improv comics aren't necessarily good writers? I'm sure that you can find those same 10 principles in a better format, they are the same exact ones that every single improv class I have ever had uses...

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-13-2014 at 11:40 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #15
whswhs

For me, the secret of being able to improvise is massive advance preparation. Not working out dialogue, but thinking about the NPCs: What sort of people are they, what are their motives, what skills do they have? If I have a clear picture of the person I'm more likely to think of something they would say.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #16
Dwarf99

Quote:
did you find any sort of exercise or mode of practice that improved your improvising skills?
Saying 'yes, but...' works for me. Build on what the player is doing, or what the player intends. Add complications, Make the action worthwhile instead of just giving it to him. Ask for players to be specific. I ran a whole campaign once based on checking orc corpses for identifying marks.

Quote:
I'd be willing to put in the time, but don't know the best way to approach it. Should I try to plan as many responses are reasonable, therefore reducing how often I have to improvise, or should I sharpen my ability to think on the spot.
I'd suggest the reverse actually. Think about what the player is asking, make leading responses, and don't be afraid to throw away anything you've already planned if some other impulse the player caused strikes you as an amusing avenue to explore.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:38 AM   #17
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
For me, the secret of being able to improvise is massive advance preparation. Not working out dialogue, but thinking about the NPCs: What sort of people are they, what are their motives, what skills do they have? If I have a clear picture of the person I'm more likely to think of something they would say.
I agree with wshwsh. Play the NPC just like you would a PC. If you know what their objective is, their motive, their capabilities, and what equipment they have on them, you'll be ready to react with conviction to anything that comes up.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:20 AM   #18
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm sure that you can find those same 10 principles in a better format, they are the same exact ones that every single improv class I have ever had uses...
They seem to concentrate a lot on improv collaboration. Do you know of any similarly useful advice for solo parts? Traditional improv storytelling, perhaps?

I have one thing to add that is relevant to RPGs but not I think to improv drama or comedy for an audience. When you are in an improv troupe putting on a bit of commedia or whatever, or working on a scene while rehearsing with actors, everyone who has to take part know that they have to improvise and collaborate. It's not so obvious in RP. When it doesn't go without saying you have to establish a shared understanding with the other players that improv collaboration of a story in a setting and genre is what is asked of them. It took me years to work it out on my own.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:27 AM   #19
Agemegos

And another thing: especially at the beginning when everyone is finding their feet, it helps to pick a familiar genre with a lot of variety and a rich fund of well-known tropes. Give the players (and your self) lots of examples in books and stories and movies and TV shows of the sorts of things that a character can do and the sorts of things that happen.

I often recommend Westerns, pulp adventure and cliffhangers, and cinematic spy adventures as being full of plot and tropes and varied characters who make significant choices. I learned to wing it running 1930s pulp adventure.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:31 AM   #20
Sword-dancer

Quote:
I recently started a supers campaign, and just finished the first session. I turned out 'okay', but I was a bit disappointed with my GMing. I think some of it has to do with the fact I still don't know a good chunk of the rules by heart. It's very difficult, because I learn mostly through play, and we can only afford to play once every month or two. Also, I never learned from another GM, as there were never any available in my area.
my 0.02 Cent

1st
think not, the PCs īve done this or that, what can i do now.
Think, how can i best use

2nd
donīt believe youīve force yourself to perfection, a somewhat workable is often enough good enough especially when itīs fast enough.
If not, itīs a good time to take a break in the game

3rd
donīt plan the structure of the adventure to fine, but know how the Core NPCs tick, values, goals, strategies, tactics, their personalities.
Sword-dancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm advice, gming, improvising