Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Onkl

Default [RPM] Fortune Potion

Hi guys

In Pyramid 3/43 Thaumathology III on page 16 there is a RPM Ritual called Fortune which gives the subject 5 Destiny Points (See MH1 for uses).

I love Destiny Points and have introduced them to all the games I run at the moment. In my Sword and Sorcery game I introduced RPM along with several rituals from Pyramid issues.

The Fortune ritual I mentioned above presents a problem for me. As the player of the wizard pointed out to me, he could buff himself with fortune then use a high damage ritual with innate attack to auto-critical hit any foe for 3 destiny points.

Since he is using his destiny points on an innate attack (a DX skill) I don't think the "you can't use magic to get better at magic" rule applies.

Is this an intended use for this ritual? My problem with it is that a wizard can replenish these points every hour with relative easy. Of course he needs a skill of 26 to reliably cast the ritual but still, this seems overpowered to me. Have you allowed this ritual in your campaign and what was the effect?

Cheers

Onkl

Last edited by Onkl; 07-09-2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: page # and name of ritual added
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Kalzazz

Default Re: [RPM] Fortune Potion

You can cast a 300 energy spell fairly often at skill 26 . . . a 350pt one even (unless I have really screwed up my RPM dice roller)

So skill 26 to pull off 120 energy seems very high
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Since he is using his destiny points on an innate attack (a DX skill) I don't think the "you can't use magic to get better at magic" rule applies.

Is this an intended use for this ritual?
That's actually the GM's call. Personally, I'd say that throwing a spell accurately counts as being "better at magic" and wouldn't allow it. But there's enough wiggle room that if a GM felt otherwise it'd be reasonable to rule that way.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
You can cast a 300 energy spell fairly often at skill 26 . . . a 350pt one even (unless I have really screwed up my RPM dice roller)

So skill 26 to pull off 120 energy seems very high
I've just looked up the skill level on the Quick and Dirty charm table from MH4. 15 or less, for me, is "reliable". But you are right, for a mere +1 you could make it a 250 Energy ;) So, we would first have to really define what reliable is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
That's actually the GM's call. Personally, I'd say that throwing a spell accurately counts as being "better at magic" and wouldn't allow it. But there's enough wiggle room that if a GM felt otherwise it'd be reasonable to rule that way.
Thanks for your answer. I am having a really hard time when to make the cut with the "getting better at magic" thing. Eg, I've created a blocking spell (à la phase) which also buffs the Body Sense roll you'll have to make afterwards. I think according to what you feel is "getting better at magic" that wouldn't be allowed either.

Well, I think I'll have to use your ruling in this case because allowing the caster to auto-hit any enemy is really just overpowered.

Cheers!

Onkl
Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Hi guys

In Pyramid 3/43 Thaumathology III on page 16 there is a RPM Ritual called Fortune which gives the subject 5 Destiny Points (See MH1 for uses).

I love Destiny Points and have introduced them to all the games I run at the moment. In my Sword and Sorcery game I introduced RPM along with several rituals from Pyramid issues.

The Fortune ritual I mentioned above presents a problem for me. As the player of the wizard pointed out to me, he could buff himself with fortune then use a high damage ritual with innate attack to auto-critical hit any foe for 3 destiny points.

Is this an intended use for this ritual? My problem with it is that a wizard can replenish these points every hour with relative easy. Of course he needs a skill of 26 to reliably cast the ritual but still, this seems overpowered to me. Have you allowed this ritual in your campaign and what was the effect?

Cheers

Onkl
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Yeah, what PK said. That just smacks of "I'll wish for more wishes." That dog don't hunt.

Also, if Destiny Points acquired this way start causing issues - limit it to 3 or even whatever level of Destiny you have or 1 (whichever is better).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Tinman

Quote:
Please not that if you finish reading the paragraph about buying success, You can not buy crit success in combat. This actualy became a big problem in one of my campaigns when one of my players only read the first half of the paragraph. (He has a habit of not reading thing to the end & it drives me bonkers.)

PS: It's page 31 in MH 1

Last edited by Tinman; 07-10-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Please not that if you finish reading the paragraph about buying success, You ca not buy crit success in combat. This actualy became a big problem in one of my campaigns when one of my players only read the first half of the paragraph. (He has a habit of not reading thing to the end & it drives me bonkers.)

That bit is specific to MH. Power-Ups 5 and the Basic Set put no such restrictions on Buying Success.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
That bit is specific to MH. Power-Ups 5 and the Basic Set put no such restrictions on Buying Success.
Oh! I did not know that. It's a pity as with-out that it seems really broken.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Oh! I did not know that. It's a pity as with-out that it seems really broken.
Nah. That schtuff gets expensive. I had one player spend 10 CP in a single combat. He was awesome for that scene but missed out on buying stuff later.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Onkl

Quote:
Please not that if you finish reading the paragraph about buying success, You can not buy crit success in combat. This actualy became a big problem in one of my campaigns when one of my players only read the first half of the paragraph. (He has a habit of not reading thing to the end & it drives me bonkers.)

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes a lot of sense to put a limitation to the uses of Destiny points.

I guess in my campaign I would have to use 2 rulesets; One for Destiny points earned in play and one for magical destiny points... it's not elegant, that's why I would love to avoid that possibility. Hrm, I'll think about it... but thanks again for pointing to that. Didn't remember! :)

Cheers

Onkl

Tags
destiny points, fortune, fortune ritual, ritual, rpm