Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-07-2022, 06:14 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Thrown Weapons vs Quick-Draw

Here's my take:

ITL 37: "Thrown Weapons ... He can also throw any weapon on the same turn he readies it."

I.e. By either paying 3 MA during movement (ITL 104) or by using that 3/DX roll by moving through the hex and in either case must be disengaged. Then taking an option that allows an attack from ITL 102, such as (b) or (j).
Taking any other option to ready a weapon would then not be ready until the next turn and as they haven't taken an attack option (ITL 107) so can't throw on the same turn.

ITL 36: "Quick-Draw ... at the start of your action phase"

I.e. Quick-Draw overcomes the movement requirement to enable ready and throw on the same turn, even while engaged.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:24 AM   #2
tomc

Default Re: Thrown Weapons vs Quick-Draw

I've always played it that readying the weapon includes the opportunity to throw it so you don't need a separate attack option.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #3
phiwum

tomc, I had never thought of it that way.

There are two ways to read the Thrown Weapons benefit.

(1) As Henry says, whenever one chooses to attack, the attack can be preceded by readying a weapon.

(2) As Tom says, whenever one chooses to ready a weapon, he may also throw that weapon.

The big difference is that (1) allows a half-move while (2) allows a shift if engaged or a two-hex move if not. Moreover, if we use (2), it seems to follow that an unengaged figure could stow a shield or any weapon in addition to drawing a weapon and throwing it -- since that's how Ready Weapon works for unengaged figures.

I guess I'm still leaning a little more to (1) than to (2).

Oh, I suppose there's also one more option, which is to quite permissively combine the two possibilities.

(3) Whenever one chooses to attack, he can ready a weapon prior to attack AND whenever one chooses to ready a weapon, he may also throw it after readying. Thus, it's legal to make a half-move, ready and throw and it's also legal, when unengaged, to move up to two hexes, put away any currently readied weapon, shield or whatever, draw a weapon and throw it.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:36 PM   #4
timm meyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Here's my take:

ITL 37: "Thrown Weapons ... He can also throw any weapon on the same turn he readies it."

I.e. By either paying 3 MA during movement (ITL 104) or by using that 3/DX roll by moving through the hex and in either case must be disengaged. Then taking an option that allows an attack from ITL 102, such as (b) or (j).
Taking any other option to ready a weapon would then not be ready until the next turn and as they haven't taken an attack option (ITL 107) so can't throw on the same turn.

ITL 36: "Quick-Draw ... at the start of your action phase"

I.e. Quick-Draw overcomes the movement requirement to enable ready and throw on the same turn, even while engaged.
The rules on p.104 regarding spending 3 MA to "scoop up a dropped weapon or other object...during movement" is in the paragraph that ends with this sentence. "A weapon picked up this way is ready next turn".
Pretty clear to me that you cannot use MA (or the Dex roll) to pick up a weapon and then attack with it in the same turn.

If I am reading your post correctly your interpretation basically voids the "ready new weapon" option and breaks or drastically degrades talents like quickdraw and thrown weapons.

The intent of the paragraph seems to be addressing the plausible high drama situation of dashing across a room, scooping up the prize/needed weapon and continuing to a position where you are safe to either continue fleeing (prize in hand) or stand your ground (armed and ready) on the "next" turn.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:13 AM   #5
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
The rules on p.104 regarding spending 3 MA to "scoop up a dropped weapon or other object...during movement" is in the paragraph that ends with this sentence. "A weapon picked up this way is ready next turn".
And then Thrown Weapons overrides this general restriction with "He can also throw any weapon on the same turn he readies it." ITL, p. 37 (See also Melee p. 22)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:28 AM   #6
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
Pretty clear to me that you cannot use MA (or the Dex roll) to pick up a weapon and then attack with it in the same turn.
It's better if the paragraph ends this way, but in my PDF it ends:

Quote:
A weapon picked up either way is ready immediately.
This was discussed in a previous thread.

Last edited by phiwum; 12-09-2022 at 10:40 AM.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote