Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #1
Malfi

Default Idea about str, damage, dr scaling

Hey just had a thought:
Str, innate attack and damage resistance cost equals base cost multiplied by 12 divided by the root of your point cost.
Normal costs below 150 points.
No super strength, damage reduction or godlike extra effort.
To deal with superior innate attack damage allow power blow to scale beyond trippling damage (increase multiplier for every -10).

This way points also represent a benchmark for your dr, hp and damage stats. So same point pc's can play more or less on the same levels of these stats.
One of the problems I see is you can't build super strong pc's with less than 2000 points.

What do you think?
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Idea about str, damage, dr scaling

Which root do you mean? Square root, cube root, or something else?

And I'm not sure what "your point cost" means here. Is that the point cost of some specific trait, or the total point cost of the character, or something else?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
Anaraxes

I was puzzled as well. I think the idea was to have DR and IA and ST all increase by the same about of damage for the same character point cost. That is, ST gives you 1D of swing damage for +4, at 40 CP, while you can get 1D of damage with an Innate Attack for 5, and stopping that with 3.5 points of DR costs 17.5.

Of course, that ignores all the other features and effects of those traits.

If it were going down that road, I'd probably just build a separate list of a different kind of point for a "Combat Rating", rather than try to make the CP do double duty. That can only work out if the game is about nothing but winning in combat, so "interesting / influential in game events" is exactly the same thing as "combat power".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Bruno

Mentioning 150 points strongly suggests to me that "your point cost" is "your net point value". IE a 150 point campaign with a -40 point disad limit is still "150" .
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
Rolando

ST gives you +1d damage with just Striking ST, so 20 points for +1d, not 40.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
ST gives you +1d damage with just Striking ST, so 20 points for +1d, not 40.
Sure -- if you were trying to isolate just the damage aspects. But the OP just cites "Str". I'm not even sure of what Malfi's purpose was; just a guess.

There were a couple of other posters on the forum that were working on a combat-oriented "Challenge Rating"-esque system. I don't remember having seen any posts lately, but Malfi might be interested in digging up the old ones and seeing how they're doing.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Which root do you mean? Square root, cube root, or something else?

And I'm not sure what "your point cost" means here. Is that the point cost of some specific trait, or the total point cost of the character, or something else?
Ah sorry, I meant square root. Square root of 150 (which I took as the base of a gurps campaign) is 12. That's why I used 12 as a number.

Wow I made such a sloppy post, by point cost I meant the point total of the character.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfi View Post
Ah sorry, I meant square root. Square root of 150 (which I took as the base of a gurps campaign) is 12. That's why I used 12 as a number.

Wow I made such a sloppy post, by point cost I meant the point total of the character.
So in a campaign with a point base of 1600 (like my test campaign for my version of GURPS Supers), the multiplier would be 12/SQRT(1600) = 0.3; and for example +1 ST would cost 3 points, and +1 DR would cost 1.5 points?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I was puzzled as well. I think the idea was to have DR and IA and ST all increase by the same about of damage for the same character point cost. That is, ST gives you 1D of swing damage for +4, at 40 CP, while you can get 1D of damage with an Innate Attack for 5, and stopping that with 3.5 points of DR costs 17.5.

Of course, that ignores all the other features and effects of those traits.

If it were going down that road, I'd probably just build a separate list of a different kind of point for a "Combat Rating", rather than try to make the CP do double duty. That can only work out if the game is about nothing but winning in combat, so "interesting / influential in game events" is exactly the same thing as "combat power".
Understandably since my first post was so badly written you misinterpreted what I actually aimed for. What I wanted was to create a kind of logarithmic progression for these specific stats (str, hp, damage and dr) where they become cheaper the higher your cp total is. I did this mainly because I felt these stats weren't worth it without the introduction of special rules like godlike extra effort, damage reduction and super strength, at least after a certain point total, where you can through lots of point in other advantages. I also wanted a more unified treatment of these stats, including a way to get high damage resistance without resorting to cosmic damage reduction.
Maybe its that I am interested in a campaign where you begin with latent or basic powers and slowly you become a complete meta human. Basically a super hero setting where training can overcome the limits of your super powers.
Not that the normal suggestions in gurps super aren't workable mind you.

The combat rating concept is interesting, I 'll check it out, though I am not sure its what I am going for.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #10
Malfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
So in a campaign with a point base of 1600 (like my test campaign for my version of GURPS Supers), the multiplier would be 12/SQRT(1600) = 0.3; and for example +1 ST would cost 3 points, and +1 DR would cost 1.5 points?
Yes that's the idea.
I guess I am also asking what weird consequences will it have?