Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
hal

Default Re: Binary propellant and Standard TL 8 guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The G-11 has nothing to go with binary liquid propellant and will not yield you any data relevant to the question.
Unfortunately, the G-11 stats are the only real world stats we have for caseless ammunition. As such, any of the Binary propellant rules are modifiers of the Caseless Ammunition rules elsewhere in GURPS ULTRATECH. As such, the G-11 is all I have to work with without it being "data pulled out of thin air" kind of things.

See next comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You have the data for the bullets that would be used with liquid propellant. They're the same bullets used in cased ammo at equivalent velocities. Liquid propellant would just do away with the gunpowder and the cartridge that holds it.

If you think lwcamp's suggestions for propellant are much too dangerous for practical use that probably means the idea isn't practical.

After digging a bit in a book I didn't think would contain any real data on Caseless Ammunition, THE BLACKHILL MILITARY SMALL ARMS DATA BOOK published 1999, had this to say about the 4.73mm Round (page 275 if it helps anyone who also has a copy of the book!)

Bullet: 4.73 x 33 mm DM1 Caseless:

Bullet weight: 49 grains or 3.1 grams
Round weight: 186 grains or 12.05 grams
Muzzle velocity: 3051 feet per second or 930 meters per second (page 144 for the stats on the gun itself)

Propellant weight assuming round weight less bullet weight: 8.95 grams

Muzzle energy in joules would be 1373, or roughly 1012 foot/pounds per the spreadsheet that I'm working off.

Damage works out to be an average of 17.7 points per Doug's formula. Per his spreadsheet formula, that works out to 5d6, which matches the value given in GURPS CLASSIC MODERN GUNS at 5d6, and misses the newer volume of HIGH TECH's damage of 4d6+2. But, if 4d6 averages to 14 and +2 makes the average damage 16, then the difference between Doug's formula and the New 4e stats on the G11 (as compared against the older 3e version in GURPS MODERN GUNS), is about 1.7 points calculated versus the stuff that Hans says is official.

Since I don't know how Max range is calculated, and Doug's formula doesn't seem to show that value - I'm at a slight loss here. In order to bump up the damage by +1 using my spreadsheet, I have to increase velocity of the same bullet by roughly 4% (from 3051 to 3172 feet per second).

Mind you, this is all in an effort to try to create sci-fi guns that have some semblance based in realism. If the G11 round is anything to go by, then the ratio of bullet weight to propellant weight is roughly 2.89 to 1.

I'm going to have to dig up my other thread to continue discussing thoughts on caseless rounds and GURPS ULTRATECH...
hal is offline   Reply With Quote