Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
loosscru

Default Interesting end, created quite a stir, define combat

It was an interesting ending and created some debate on when combat ends.

3 players, I am at level 9, and player 1 is a thief who was at level two at the time. The thief kicked down the door, drew a wizard, and switched to wizard. Then he looked for trouble with a Balrog or some other high treasure monster. He mated the monster and then used an Aladdin lamp on one and charmed the other. Nice moves to get 10 treasure to get back in the game. Before he claimed victory, Player 2 jumped in with a wandering monster and brought in a floating nose (lvl 10).

I then used a transferal potion to jump into combat, kill the nose and win as the mated monsters are charmed/lamped, and I took on the remaining lvl 10.

I think we played it by the rules, but it opened up a lot of debate.

The Question is, when is combat over? After the lamp and charm were effective, could Player 3 play the wandering monster? could I transferal? I think yes either is possible, or both, in any order. Maybe a more interesting question is whether or not the charm is still effective after the transferal, again, i vote yes, the charm once cast (and the hand is discarded), cannot be undone.

edit to clear up what happened
Old 01-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
StaticHamster

Default Re: Interesting end, created quite a stir, define combat

Sounds like you played it legally to me.

A good win.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
majikfreak

last night I set my self up with tons of items. when the time came and I was around level 7-8 and I knew every one was played out of pump. I make my move... selling enough stuff to make lvl 9... then kicking down the door and getting a good little monster to kill. I always keep a little guy on my hand for an easy kill when looking for trouble...
Old 01-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Blu

I almost never get that to work for me. There always seems to be some out that somebody has that stops me from winning. One time, I had a high combat strength, and Level 1 for Looking for Trouble, and two GUAL's in my hand I held till the start of my turn when I was level 7. Many of the pumps were used previously...still didn't win.

Jherek pulled that off on Thursday though...mumble mumble mumble...
Old 01-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Please bear in mind, adding a new Monster with Wandering Monster was perfectly acceptable, but trying to modify Monsters that were already defeated with things like Magic Lamp and the Wizard's charm spell would not be. In other words, you couldn't add a Monster Enhancer on a Monster after it's been charmed away in order to add more Treasure to it, nor could you play Mate on a Monster that was sent away by Pollymorph Potion. Also, some cards do actually end combat with no ability to add on, but they say as much on them.
MiB #1029
Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
whassumattuh

Default Transferral Potion

Just for clarification. If Player 1 defeated two monsters(one with Wizard's charm spell and one with a Magic Lamp) and Player 2 proceeds to Wander in an additional monster, then what would happen if Player 3 decided to use the Transferral Potion to fight the monster himself and was able to kill the Wandering Monster? Would Player 3, who killed the Wandering Monster, get the treasures of the other two monsters that were banished by Player 1?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'm going to step in here and say that this is such a weird edge case that it's no good trying to argue it out; Erik and I (well, not so much I, since I'm about to be without net access for a week) will run the question by Steve and the Brain Trust. We'll report back once we've reached consensus.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

We've actually covered this within the Braintrust, back in January of 2010. SJ said that his vote was for the winner of the transferred combat to get the Treasure from the previously defeated Monsters and to laugh hysterically. We usually give him weighted votes or veto power, so we kinda stuck with that philosophy. If it hasn't been done here previously, I'm certainly declaring that the official answer here and now.
MiB #1029
Closed Thread