Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2020, 01:53 AM   #11
kirbwarrior

Default Re: [Powers] Cheap powers for low-level supers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
If you want a character that feels like a superhero, you'll want at least 250 points and probably more like 400. But you can certainly do people with powers at a low level.
I feel it's more extreme. You can make a character with powers at even 0pts feel like a nonmundane character, but to feel like a 'superhero' with all the capabilities that come with the minimum level supers you'd need at least 600 if not vastly more. I'm still trying to figure out a good minimum for that, 400pts and invulnerable to bullets still wasn't enough.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #12
dcarson

I'd generally consider a supers game to have PCs at least at the 300 point level, probably higher. A pulp mystery man with Doc Savage, The Shadow style characters might be a bit lower. There are always exceptions of course, a Inferior Five style game could have characters under a hundred. But you are purposely going against normal for comedic effect.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #13
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I'd generally consider a supers game to have PCs at least at the 300 point level, probably higher.
I tried it once at 300pts, still didn't quite feel close enough to being 'supers' as opposed to just 'people with powers'. Even Mystery Men seem to be built on higher totals.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:42 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

I have had a few low powered campaigns at 250 CP, though I do agree that a proper supers campaign needs a minimum of 500 CP. At that point, you can have highly competent supernaturals as well as superhumans.

One interesting caveat that I have noticed is that superhumans without any mental defenses tend to get really screwed over by even low powered mentalists. A lot of players tend to assume that Will 12 is sufficient to protect their PCs, and they tend to especially loathe any character that can use mind control. For example, a 250 CP mentalist with IQ 12 [40], Will 20 [40], Telepathy Talent 4 [20], and Mind Control (Based on Will, +20%; No Memory, +10%; Reliable, +10, +50%; Super, -10%) [85] can really mess up a superhero, especially if they are glass cannons.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:35 AM   #15
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I have had a few low powered campaigns at 250 CP, though I do agree that a proper supers campaign needs a minimum of 500 CP. At that point, you can have highly competent supernaturals as well as superhumans.

One interesting caveat that I have noticed is that superhumans without any mental defenses tend to get really screwed over by even low powered mentalists. A lot of players tend to assume that Will 12 is sufficient to protect their PCs, and they tend to especially loathe any character that can use mind control. For example, a 250 CP mentalist with IQ 12 [40], Will 20 [40], Telepathy Talent 4 [20], and Mind Control (Based on Will, +20%; No Memory, +10%; Reliable, +10, +50%; Super, -10%) [85] can really mess up a superhero, especially if they are glass cannons.
With all due respect, what does this have to do with the topic of this thread at all?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:36 AM   #16
awesomenessofme1

Separately, here's another 20-point ability I built. I call it "Fist Barrage".

Crushing Attack 1d+1 (Double Knockback, +20%; Rapid Fire (RoF 30, Selective Fire, Very Rapid Fire), +170%; Increased 1/2D x15, +15%, Reduced Range x1/10, -30%; Inaccurate 3, -15%; Super, -10%) [20]

This is the best way I could think of to cheaply and fairly accurately represent a rapid series of punches. There are a few issues (Can't reduce a ranged attack to range C, for one, and it ignores the rules for punching armor), but it's an OK representation in my opinion. If you don't care as much about pentaphilia, toss in Variable. For accuracy's sake, it should be there, but it doesn't matter as much for such a weak attack.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:26 AM   #17
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post

That's not cheap, though. Did you mean to post in another thread? Sticking a power limitation on Will and fleshing the character out a bit more might get you a character that fits in the 'Power-heavy builds' thread, but not this one.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:46 AM   #18
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post

Crushing Attack 1d+1 (Double Knockback, +20%; Rapid Fire (RoF 30, Selective Fire, Very Rapid Fire), +170%; Increased 1/2D x15, +15%, Reduced Range x1/10, -30%; Inaccurate 3, -15%; Super, -10%) [20]

This is the best way I could think of to cheaply and fairly accurately represent a rapid series of punches. There are a few issues (Can't reduce a ranged attack to range C, for one, and it ignores the rules for punching armor), but it's an OK representation in my opinion. If you don't care as much about pentaphilia, toss in Variable. For accuracy's sake, it should be there, but it doesn't matter as much for such a weak attack.
Considering you already have Inaccurate, you can add a Nuisance Effect: Can't gain Aim bonuses to make up for Variable. You can also take a lower base damage and add ST-Based, even ST10 helps.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:15 AM   #19
GnomesofZurich

Quote:

Pyramid #3/61 has Hundred-Handed Strike with similar mechanics, and handles it by adding Cosmic, Rapid Fire on melee attack, +100%.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:58 AM   #20
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
With all due respect, what does this have to do with the topic of this thread at all?
Just discussing the fact that low-level supers can occasionally feel super. When it comes to cheap powers, there is a legitimate question concerning their utility compared to more expensive powers (is it really better to have 85 CP spread across five abilities or 85 CP invested in a single ability). For example, Digital Mind [5] protects against normal Mind Control (though it is vulnerable to Cybernetic Mind Control), but it does not do much to protect against being turned into a grease smear by a mind controlled Brick.

A relatively cheap form of group protection may be in the form of the following ability:

LAN: Digital Mind (Affects Others, 5 people, +250%; Area Effect, 8 yards, +150%; Selective Area, +20%) [26].

While it is not quite cheap, it is much cheaper than the ability that it counters, though possesses a really dangerous weakness. While under your influence, your targets are vulnerable to Cybernetic attacks and can be taken offline and stored as data. They also return to 'normal' when they leave your area of effect, meaning that a patient opponent can turn your friends against you.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers