Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #131
Prince Charon

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulpesFulva View Post
Well, effectively, Magery already has a virtual "power source" disad for Magic.

Changing it to Psi would be a net +0% change
I'm thinking maybe I should add 'Psi, +0%' or 'Meta-Psi, +0%' as a modifier, but then again, it should be spelled out in the text that it's psi-based, so maybe that should only apply to characters using the advantage in non-Five Earths games.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #132
Prince Charon

A bit of seasonalness for you:

December 5: In Inp-Germany, and a few other places, particularly bad children (and, again, some adults) have nightmares about a demon called Krampus. These nightmares are sometimes found to be accompanied by scratches and/or bruises.

Dec. 6: Saint Niklaus fills the shoes of good children with gifts, in the same nations where Krampus gave nightmares (though obviously, not to the same children). This includes some homes that should have been too secure for such to simply appear, though not so many as on the 25th, below.

Dec. 19: In the Dp-USSR, the first KV-VI 'Behemoth' land battleship rolls out of the factory.

Dec. 25: On Inp-Earth, Santa Claus brings gifts to all the good little children of the world, and some nice adults, as well - even those living in very secure homes. A number of particularly bad children (and some adults) receive coal, generally of a cheap and smelly type.

Dec. 26: Many on Dp-Earth and Stp-Earth are deeply amused, or in some cases exasperated, by the panic among Inp-Earth's security agencies, over the gifts that appeared the previous night.

2014 (January 1): Ambrosius Aurelianus Romanorum appoints the new Consuls in Rome: Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo replace Drustanus and Ysolde. In some Orthodox Christian areas on Inp-Earth, Saint Basil leaves gifts for people, which is no-longer so unexpected.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #133
Prince Charon

Found something I did not expect, in relation to Dieselpunk Earth: 'vacuum microelectronics' - microscopic vacuum tubes on a chip.

So, shall we call this TL(6+1) or TL(6+2)? Either way, people on Dp-Earth will hear of it, and start working on what they might well call 'ultra-micro-miniature vacuum tubes' (that's what Doc Smith called them, and they're mentioned in GURPS Lensman).

-- Tacitus

Old 01-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #134
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Found something I did not expect, in relation to Dieselpunk Earth: 'vacuum microelectronics' - microscopic vacuum tubes on a chip.

So, shall we call this TL(6+1) or TL(6+2)? Either way, people on Dp-Earth will hear of it, and start working on what they might well call 'ultra-micro-miniature vacuum tubes' (that's what Doc Smith called them, and they're mentioned in GURPS Lensman).
For a dieselpunk feel, I'd still keep the vacuum tubes at a visible size. True vacuum microelectronics require a differs part of physics than normal vacuum tubes. However, I could believe in tubes a quarter inch in size if they didn't draw much power. The real power tubes should still be large, IMHO.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #135
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
For a dieselpunk feel, I'd still keep the vacuum tubes at a visible size. True vacuum microelectronics require a differs part of physics than normal vacuum tubes. However, I could believe in tubes a quarter inch in size if they didn't draw much power. The real power tubes should still be large, IMHO.
Any advantages these small vacuum tubes (the quarter-inch ones or the dieselpunkish/atomicpunkish ones) will have compared to microchips or transistors, other than being immune to EMP attacks?

Also I have another question: considering the dismissal of Hoover, due to information from Inp-Earth, are there other figures having their reputations ruined thanks to new information coming in from Inp-Earth? For instance has Walter Duranty already had his lies about the famines in the Soviet Union exposed?

What about the Cambridge Five, have they been exposed yet?

Last edited by warellis; 01-11-2014 at 10:08 PM.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #136
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Any advantages these small vacuum tubes (the quarter-inch ones or the dieselpunkish/atomicpunkish ones) will have compared to microchips or transistors, other than being immune to EMP attacks?
I believe that the microchip tubes would have the same vulnerability to EMP as normal electronics. And it is possible that a strong enough EMP will take out normal vacuum tubes also.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #137
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Miniature tubes they already have, along with the 'full circuits in tubes' mentioned in the Dieselpunk Earth description, way back in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Also I have another question: considering the dismissal of Hoover, due to information from Inp-Earth, are there other figures having their reputations ruined thanks to new information coming in from Inp-Earth? For instance has Walter Duranty already had his lies about the famines in the Soviet Union exposed?

What about the Cambridge Five, have they been exposed yet?
Some, yes, including those mentioned - mainly, people in Allied or neutral powers would be fully investigated right away, whereas anything said about someone in an Axis power, or one that has strong reasons to be skeptical of information from Inp-Earth, might be fully investigated, or half-heartedly investigated, or dismissed as Allied propaganda. The fact that the Nazis have not yet betrayed the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact is considered confirmation of this by some in the USSR, despite the fact that changing circumstances would obviously have made that betrayal a less attractive idea to Dp-Germany.

-- Tacitus

Old 01-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #138
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon, post: 12843233, member: 6882
So people are aware, I did have a reply to DangerousThing, even if it wasn't a particularly deep or significant reply:

On another note, I'm making some progress on a couple of non-timeline posts, including one about FTL drives and communications, one about the various Lantern Corps, and one labeled 'Races and technology in the Dp-Earth Sol System', which among other things, answers a question that, if it wasn't asked in this thread, probably should have been:
Quote:
Miniature tubes they already have, along with the 'full circuits in tubes' mentioned in the Dieselpunk Earth description, way back in the thread.
Probably needs editing, and I'm wondering if I should drop the clarification - and yes, Mongo has a culture that Inp-Earth and Fa-Earth (mostly Fa-Earth, who wouldn't really get what all the fuss is about, including the fuss from Inp-Earth) would get along with somewhat better than the other three, including the one they share a universe with.
Quote:
Beyond the heliopause, outside the 'boundary' of the Sol System, is the brown dwarf star called Nemesis, whose faint (for a star) light warms and illuminates a few close planets and planetoids, including the infamous world of Mongo.

Roughly the size of Earth, Mongo is ruled by Emperor Flash I, and his wives, the Empresses Dale and Aura (Flash would have been happy with just Dale, but was tricked into it for mostly-political reasons; Dale would have been happy with just Aura (something she can barely admit to herself, much less anyone else), though she doesn't actually hate being with Flash, and in fact does love him; Aura is quite happy with the situation as it stands - she wouldn't mind a few more men and women in her harem, but doesn't really need them, and isn't willing to pressure Flash or Dale on that issue, as she knows that they are psycho-sexually crippled by their barbaric upbringing in that obviously-repressive place called 'America'; to clarify, Flash is a 0, or at most a 1, on the Kinsey scale, Dale is a 5, and Aura is a 3, which is close to average for a Mongoan human).
In case anyone ask wants to ask, no, I am not going to reset Dale's sexuality back to what Dp-Earth considers 'normal'. They have the same percentages of alternative sexualities that our 1940s Earth had, and treat them just as badly, hence poor Dale's psychological problems.
Charon I already wrote this in Spacebattles, but I'll post it here as well:

Was there any indication Dale was homosexual in any of the Flash Gordon media?

Also since you mention she's a 5 on the Kinsey Scale, she's essentially lesbian except for Flash right?

EDIT: Actually looking at Fa-Earth, the culture there might not be friendly to Mongo's culture either. For instance IIRC, the typical homosexuality that was considered socially acceptable was pederasty where the man had a male partner that was essentially a young boy. Homosexuality between two grown men was looked down upon from what I remember. And considering women were considered social inferiors well I don't think lesbians were thought of in a good light in the ancient world. There's an article about it on Wikipedia, yes I know it's Wikipedia, and pretty much it appears that the ancient Greeks didn't even mention lesbianism, and the Romans may have been actively hostile against it due to it going against Roman male culture/values.

Just because the ancient world was/may have been more tolerant of homosexuality really doesn't always mean tolerance in the same way we think of. It may have been only really tolerant of a narrow definition of homosexuality/bisexuality.

Last edited by warellis; 01-14-2014 at 02:02 AM.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #139
Prince Charon

Answered on SB.com, but it's lagging, so I can't copy it to here, and don't want to rewrite the post. You're very right about the Fa-Earth sexuality thing (in fact, a lot of the Mongoans would find the pederasty anywhere from eccentric to creepy to horrifying). I guess Inp-Earth is the only one that won't have too big a problem with Mongoan sexuality (unless I'm totally off-base about Clp-Earth cultures, as well), and even we have a lot of people who'd whine loudly about it, and quite a few who'd have even nastier reactions.

-- Tacitus

Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #140
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Answered on SB.com, but it's lagging, so I can't copy it to here, and don't want to rewrite the post. You're very right about the Fa-Earth sexuality thing (in fact, a lot of the Mongoans would find the pederasty anywhere from eccentric to creepy to horrifying). I guess Inp-Earth is the only one that won't have too big a problem with Mongoan sexuality (unless I'm totally off-base about Clp-Earth cultures, as well), and even we have a lot of people who'd whine loudly about it, and quite a few who'd have even nastier reactions.
A lot of that will vary from culture to culture, on each world. I think most East Asian cultures have been more tolerant about that sort of thing than those burdened with the sexual mores of the Abrahamic religions, especially if discretion is exercised.

A (very) narrow (mostly regional) majority in the United States will have no problems with Mongo's sexual culture. Heck, some might apply to emigrate, only to discover that a "planetary romance" world is just a little too exciting.

Aussies, Canadians, Europeans and Japanese will have the fewest issues, of all the developed space-faring nations of Inp-Earth, while Orthodox Jews, Muslims, and Christian Fundies on both Inp-Earth and Dp-Earth will pitch screaming tantrums. The pope on Clp-Earth will likely issue a writ condemning it, and the pope on Dp-Earth may do the same. I'd bet Inp-Earth's pope will likely restrict himself to sternly-worded lectures about morality, while quietly enquiring about when it might be possible for Catholic missionary priests to hitch a ride to Mongo on an ESA spacecraft.

Muslims might not care about Emperor Flash's harem, until they learn the two empresses exercise very real political power, and don't hesitate to lay the smackdown on mouthy critics.

For his part, Emperor Flash I, has to keep the peace on a world with a history of insurgency and a violently-fractional political culture. Besides that, Dale has stuck by him through a brutal (and successful) coup that brought him to power, and he may trust her a bit more than he does his other wife. There's no way he throws her under a bus to please reactionaries on other planets.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 earths in a row, alternative earths, infinite worlds