Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Half-Octopus leg problem

I am working on a race right now where the bottom of them ends in octopus arms (upper half humanoid). But, I noticed that costs upwards of [280];

Extra Arm 8 (Extra Flexible +50%, Long 2 +200%) [280]

I then was thinking of ways to just have a larger SM and take ways to make the upper body smaller. Sadly, Short Arms is a little overkill. Anyone have any ideas?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Langy

Default Re: Half-Octopus leg problem

Take Stretching rather than Long; the reason Long is so expensive is the bonus to damage, which Stretching does not have.

Stretching (Arms Only, -20%) should be enough; this is 5/level.

EDIT: Note that Extra Arms 8 is still going to be hella-expensive even without the Long enhancement.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Take Stretching rather than Long; the reason Long is so expensive is the bonus to damage, which Stretching does not have.

Stretching (Arms Only, -20%) should be enough; this is 5/level.

EDIT: Note that Extra Arms 8 is still going to be hella-expensive even without the Long enhancement.
Stretching might work on top of it, which would be cool. The idea of having a higher SM and 'smallering' the rest of the body was because of the bonus damage didn't seem applicable. And I'm assuming you can't have 'Stretching (Always On)'.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

You might go as far as to give tentacles No Attack and/or Weak.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Also consider what you want the legs to be able to do: real octopi should not have "extra arms 6": They can manipulate a lot of things, but tentacles cannot do as much as arms, and its debatable whether they should have extra-flexible: they don't work equally well for any facing.

Also note these are foot manipulators most likely, and probably effect the move speed.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Also consider what you want the legs to be able to do: real octopi should not have "extra arms 6": They can manipulate a lot of things, but tentacles cannot do as much as arms, and its debatable whether they should have extra-flexible: they don't work equally well for any facing.

Also note these are foot manipulators most likely, and probably effect the move speed.
Removing the Extra-Flexible and adding Foot Manipulator results in: Extra Arms 8 (Long 2, +200%; Foot Manipulator, -30%) [216]. Not much of a price difference but includes the limitation that if you're using even one of them as a manipulator ... you can't use your ground move again until you stop. ("Foot Manipulator, -30%" is a re-titled "Temporary Disadvantage (Lame (Legless)), -30%" as the limitation description notes.) Its' important to note that this isn't how an octopus's tentacles work. They crawl along just fine even if they are holding something in one of their tentacles.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Removing the Extra-Flexible and adding Foot Manipulator results in: Extra Arms 8 (Long 2, +200%; Foot Manipulator, -30%) [216]. Not much of a price difference...
It's that darn Long that messes up the price. All I want out of Long is easier to hit them and further reach. Considering Born Biter, I've used that for larger hands, and I almost wonder how much Long is worth without the damage bonus.
Quote:
They crawl along just fine even if they are holding something in one of their tentacles.
I had already decided that No Legs (Slithers) was appropriate. Nice to know someone else does too.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Get Stretching, really.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
It's that darn Long that messes up the price. All I want out of Long is easier to hit them and further reach. Considering Born Biter, I've used that for larger hands, and I almost wonder how much Long is worth without the damage bonus.

I had already decided that No Legs (Slithers) was appropriate. Nice to know someone else does too.
Temporary Disadvantage (No Legs (Slithers)), -0%. Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Get Stretching, really.
Extra Arms 8 [40]
Stretching 2 (Reduced Time 2, +40%; Extra Arms Only, -20%) [15]
... sub-total: [55]
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Get Stretching, really.
Quote:
Extra Arms 8 [40]
Stretching 2 (Reduced Time 2, +40%; Extra Arms Only, -20%) [15]
... sub-total: [55]
Extra Arms would actually be [80]. Stretching does seem really nice, with a weird effect that the arms are actually smaller and larger. I might go with Reflexive. I also still think that I want them to be some amount of flexible, even if Extra-Flexible is the wrong way to do it. Would Double Jointed (Extra Arms Only -20%) work? What would I lose with that limitation?
Quote:
Temporary Disadvantage (No Legs (Slithers)), -0%. Heh.
I kinda want to take this, if it weren't for the fact that I should instead take Extra Legs and then remove them for it to make sense.

Tags
extra arms, stretching