Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #461
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: Another 2000 Things I Am No Longer Allowed To Do In An RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
288. I am not allowed to create a zero-point Female ally with Appearance (+15), Double-Jointed (+5), Lecherous (-15), Complusive Behavior (Kinky Sex) (-15), and all skill points in Sex Appeal.
I don't think that there's a version of Appearance that costs 15 points or one that gives a +15 to reaction rolls, Double-Jointed for a +5 bonus costs 15 points, and Lecherous and Compulsive Behavior both lack self-control numbers. Is this a 3e build?

Personally, I'd say the Lecherous and this Compulsive Behavior are redundant (like Truthfulness and Odious Personal Habit: Tactless or negative Wealth with Vow: Poverty). Even if not, the GM is supposed to build the Ally and as a GM I would question why you asked for Double-Jointed but left the Erotic Art at default.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #462
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans
Personally, I'd say the Lecherous and this Compulsive Behavior are redundant (like Truthfulness and Odious Personal Habit: Tactless or negative Wealth with Vow: Poverty).
I probably would see it like that, except that I'd ask if he really wanted double social penalties from basically everyone she interacted with. Plus being hit on and forced to accept advances from people other than him. Then I'd derail the game until it started getting on the player's nerves. "Oh your ally went on another orgy again. You're going to have to go pick her up if you want to make actual use of her. And since she's at an orgy, you need to present a compelling reason for her to leave."

I've got no problems humoring players who make really stupid decisions about this kind of thing. If saying "Yes but" makes me an Adversarial GM, so be it. Yes, you have an ally. Yes, all she ever wants is sex, but unless you're Adonis, she's getting quite a lot of it elsewhere. I wouldn't even flub the appearance rolls. You succeeded, she's available, but you have to come to her. Congratulations on your ally that does nothing but "fade to black". Because let's be honest: Most games aren't as explicit as what would fully be required to have this ally. But at the end of the day, I'd still allow it (provided the bit regarding appearance was a CP Cost typo).

Quote:
Even if not, the GM is supposed to build the Ally and as a GM I would question why you asked for Double-Jointed but left the Erotic Art at default.
Maybe, but since I've done that before too, I'd be inclined to listen to his response.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #463
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
I probably would see it like that, except that I'd ask if he really wanted double social penalties from basically everyone she interacted with. Plus being hit on and forced to accept advances from people other than him. Then I'd derail the game until it started getting on the player's nerves. "Oh your ally went on another orgy again. You're going to have to go pick her up if you want to make actual use of her. And since she's at an orgy, you need to present a compelling reason for her to leave."

I've got no problems humoring players who make really stupid decisions about this kind of thing. If saying "Yes but" makes me an Adversarial GM, so be it. Yes, you have an ally. Yes, all she ever wants is sex, but unless you're Adonis, she's getting quite a lot of it elsewhere. I wouldn't even flub the appearance rolls. You succeeded, she's available, but you have to come to her. Congratulations on your ally that does nothing but "fade to black". Because let's be honest: Most games aren't as explicit as what would fully be required to have this ally. But at the end of the day, I'd still allow it (provided the bit regarding appearance was a CP Cost typo).

Hm so in other words it would end up being a waste of points, and the way you said how you;d play it sounds more like dependent of some sort. Like you kind of have to go pick her up at the orgy, her having sex with a bunch of people could put her in bad situations you'd might have to get involved in, and at that point you can then punish the character with the ally with stds however you represent them in gurps.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #464
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
Hm so in other words it would end up being a waste of points,
Yep, but strictly speaking, a permissible one.

Quote:
and the way you said how you;d play it sounds more like dependent of some sort. Like you kind of have to go pick her up at the orgy, her having sex with a bunch of people could put her in bad situations you'd might have to get involved in, and at that point you can then punish the character with the ally with stds however you represent them in gurps.
You can have Ally concurrent with Dependant I believe. I would accept that. The problem here is with your stats as written. If it were toned down a bit, she would get some use as just an ally, as long as you were reasonably frequent in your fade to blacks. Daily at minimum I'd suggest.

And in any case, if you want, you can always tack on some things that are actually useful. Depends on your level of ally.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #465
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Yep, but strictly speaking, a permissible one.

You can have Ally concurrent with Dependant I believe. I would accept that. The problem here is with your stats as written. If it were toned down a bit, she would get some use as just an ally, as long as you were reasonably frequent in your fade to blacks. Daily at minimum I'd suggest.

And in any case, if you want, you can always tack on some things that are actually useful. Depends on your level of ally.
or all those random people could come in handy. You get in a tough spot and need a bit of extra muscle... well there was this biker that has fond memories of her from last night, maybe he'd help you out. You need some dirt on a politician... maybe she's just his type... ect
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #466
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
or all those random people could come in handy. You get in a tough spot and need a bit of extra muscle... well there was this biker that has fond memories of her from last night, maybe he'd help you out. You need some dirt on a politician... maybe she's just his type... ect
Yeah, but the original build was Ally, not Ally Group. If it were Ally Group, I'd let that one pass too.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:36 AM   #467
Hemlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
I don't think that there's a version of Appearance that costs 15 points or one that gives a +15 to reaction rolls, Double-Jointed for a +5 bonus costs 15 points, and Lecherous and Compulsive Behavior both lack self-control numbers. Is this a 3e build?

Personally, I'd say the Lecherous and this Compulsive Behavior are redundant (like Truthfulness and Odious Personal Habit: Tactless or negative Wealth with Vow: Poverty). Even if not, the GM is supposed to build the Ally and as a GM I would question why you asked for Double-Jointed but left the Erotic Art at default.
IIRC, +15 points in appearance gets you a +2 reaction from members of your own sex, and +4 reaction from members of the opposite sex.

And Ally Group doesn't apply until 9 months after she gets pregnant with twins ... and even then, its more of a dependent group. Unless, they are GURPS Supers Babies and have telepathic/ telekinetic powers ... in which case, watch the F*** out.

And the Omission of 'Erotic Arts' as a skill was an oversight. I was working from memory ...

Last edited by Hemlock; 01-09-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:43 AM   #468
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
IIRC, +15 points in appearance gets you a +2 reaction from members of your own sex, and +4 reaction from members of the opposite sex.
That's [12]. [16] gets you +2/+6. There is no [15].
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #469
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

How's this build?

Honeypot (0 points)
ST 9[-10], DX 10, IQ 10, HT 11[10]

Very Beautiful Appearance (+2/+6) [16]
Voice [10]
Double-Jointed [15]

Compulsive Behavior: Kinky Sex (9)[-22]
Lecherous (6)[-30]

Sex-Appeal(HT+9)[20]-20, roll at +4 on most heterosexual men
Erotic Art(DX+3)[1]-13
Old 01-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #470
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
That's [12]. [16] gets you +2/+6. There is no [15].
[12] + Universal gets you [15], but that uses a different reaction modifier.