Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-25-2016, 03:15 AM   #1
Crystalline_Entity

Default Warp and Mana Sensitive

I've tried to search for the answer to this according to RAW, but haven't managed to come up with anything.

If I add the "Magical" limitation to Warp, that means that the ability won't work in no-mana areas (and gets a penalty in low-mana). But what does this mean for abilities which cross long distances like Warp? I'm assuming that you need mana at the place you invoke the Warp power (your original location), but do you also need mana to be present at your destination? Do you also need mana in the region between the two points?

I can't remember seeing a RAW ruling about this, am I missing something or is this more of a worldbuilding decision for the GM based on how teleportation works in that particular world?

Thanks!
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:47 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Warp and Mana Sensitive

Far as I know you treat your current location for ambient energy like no mana - so you can teleport into a dead zone...but not out. This is how it works in Banestorm which is a "quantum sargasso" - you can get in, but not out.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:01 AM   #3
Celjabba

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=83296

I don't have my books with me but if this is 4e, the quote seem to imply that by default you can teleport in a NMZ but not from.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:36 AM   #4
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Far as I know you treat your current location for ambient energy like no mana - so you can teleport into a dead zone...but not out. This is how it works in Banestorm which is a "quantum sargasso" - you can get in, but not out.
I don't like this interpretation because it means you can't hide from a wizard in a no-mana zone. As long as he's outside it, he can still telecast spells at you.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Crystalline_Entity

Thanks everyone, it didn't occur to me to check the spell descriptions in Magic!

I think the ability to teleport yourself to somewhere you can't teleport out of roughly balances the fact that you can't protect yourself from teleporting assassins by hiding in a no-mana zone.

Thanks!
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
I don't like this interpretation because it means you can't hide from a wizard in a no-mana zone. As long as he's outside it, he can still telecast spells at you.
Nope, spells fizzle when trying to affect things in an NMZ. Warp is cast at the mage's current location, and basically throws them through the aether to another location. The look on their face would be priceless when they realize they just dropped themselves into an NMZ.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
...how would he find you? Apart from that, the spells still would stop working when they entered the NMZ. It's just that for Teleport, "stopping working" still leaves you there.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

I think missile spells may still work as they're physical objects lobbed at a target. So they could affect someone in a No Mana zone, but only if the mage could throw that far from their mana present location.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I think missile spells may still work as they're physical objects lobbed at a target. So they could affect someone in a No Mana zone, but only if the mage could throw that far from their mana present location.
Yes, they still work because the spell created and propelled something that was not in itself magical.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Yes, they still work because the spell created and propelled something that was not in itself magical.
Even though a fireball that impacts and burns a person yet is not someTHING on fire is still kinda magical.

Tags
warp