Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #171
Emerald Cat

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Romulan War - modified canon specifics question

OK, since we're going with Modified canon (with Romulans), now is the time to vote on what sort of modifications we're going to have

[...]

Please include the number of your preferred vote (or votes, if you want to combine a couple of the compatible ones).
3 has my vote. 4 is a compatible option, but I'd rather the Romulans be Vulcans with an alien culture rather than a different morphology due to being a distant offshoot.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #172
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I like option 2. Though 1-4 are all good.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #173
Prince Charon

OK, three votes total is kind of small, so I'm leaving this vote open until at least Friday (11/22/2019).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #174
isf

Quote:
Romulan War - modified canon specifics question
3: More mysterious Romulans, so they aren't known, yet, and might not be a Vulcanian offshoot.

4: More alien Romulans, meaning that they're either not a Vulcanian offshoot at all, or they're a shoot that's much further off.

I would prefer either of these
Old 11-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #175
Prince Charon

Alright, I guess there aren't going to be any more votes, so option three wins. I'll probably put up another question tomorrow, or not long thereafter, I just want to review them when I'm less tired than I am now.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #176
Prince Charon

The Federation, or something else?

What sort of polity are our heroes from. Note that the ones not selected are still viable for a 'Mirror, Mirror' type of session or campaign arc. Please include the number when you vote.

1: United Federation of Planets
Something pretty close to the canon Federation of Kirk's era, but possibly fleshed out more. Won't necessarily have exactly the same Star Fleet, but it could be quite similar.

2: United Space Authority
A defensive pact similar to NATO, but with trade agreements, some degree of technology-sharing and such, and extradition and other mutual agreements to smooth over law enforcement in their combined territory. So, less of a political union, but still an organization that exercises authority over a volume of space. Has some form of unified Star Fleet/Space Force/Space Patrol, but most likely not exactly the same one as canon (though if we keep the name I gave it, spacecraft names could still have the USS prefix, and it'll make more sense than the UFP using it). My preferred option.

3: Terran Empire
Not necessarily evil, and not necessarily ruled by an emperor, but Terran humanity is the dominant partner in this polity, to the point that de facto, it is their empire. It might not even be the result of conquest, as if they both recovered well from the Genetics Wars and had really good luck, they could have managed to economically dominate their neighbors, and parley that into political dominance. It does require more justification than the others, though. Whether it's evil or not, and how or what sort of evil, can be determined by the individual GMs and player groups.

4: Another Metropole
The dominant polity in the region is primarily ruled by a single race, but that race is not Terran humanity. The Solar Cooperative is a member-state in someone else's empire (or hegemony, or co-prosperity sphere, or whichever). This will most likely require other votes afterward, to determine who is running things, and how the SC happened to become part of this empire.

5: No 'Federation' or equivalent
The Solar Cooperative, Interplanetary Confederacy of Vulcan, Pachekki Solidarity, and so on have various trade and defence treaties, but no over-arching, permanent alliance, and thus no singular Star Fleet (though there may be exchange personnel on each others' vessels sometimes, which is useful to players, and sometimes to GMs). This is probably the case for games set during or prior to the Romulan War.

6: Other
Something else; please describe your preference. This will probably also require another vote, unless everyone who responds likes the same 'something else.'

EDIT: The winner seems to be '2: United Space Authority.'

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 11-30-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #177
TGLS

I would take 1, for maximum Trek feel: Space America going about and exploring new worlds. On the other hand, 3 leads to interesting worldbuilding questions, and 5 could lead to interesting diplomatic situations trying to build case 1 (or maybe 2 as a stepping stone). Leaving it to the dice: 3.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #178
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I would take 1, for maximum Trek feel: Space America going about and exploring new worlds. On the other hand, 3 leads to interesting worldbuilding questions, and 5 could lead to interesting diplomatic situations trying to build case 1 (or maybe 2 as a stepping stone). Leaving it to the dice: 3.
... should I assume that 3 is your intended answer, then? It looks like it is, but I'd prefer to be certain of it.

-- Tacitus

Old 11-25-2019, 05:52 AM   #179
TGLS

Quote:
... should I assume that 3 is your intended answer, then? It looks like it is, but I'd prefer to be certain of it.
Yes, I couldn't decide so I rolled.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #180
Phantasm

My vote is 2 with a movement to forming a 1.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionics, space, star trek, world building