Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #161
isf

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Other Energy Weapons

<snip>

Thoughts?

I like the Vulcan ones a lot. DO the other races here have common psionic powers like the Vulcans have telepathy? (Like Tellarites and biokenesis). If so, are there other types of psi-tech that are characteristic of particular races? Are there any types that are unique (or nearly so) for specific races?
Old 11-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #162
isf

Quote:
OK, two for 'pretty much canon,' one for 'modified canon (identities are known).'

I'm leaving the vote open until at least Wednesday, and possibly longer, depending on whether other stuff distracts me.

While the Vulcan/Romulan reveal was great in the original series and they have gotten some mileage out of it through the franchise: it isn't a surprise any more. I'd want the romulans to have some mystery about them.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #163
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
I like the Vulcan ones a lot. DO the other races here have common psionic powers like the Vulcans have telepathy? (Like Tellarites and biokenesis).
Some probably do, though apart from those that have them in the source material, I'm undecided as to which.

Quote:
If so, are there other types of psi-tech that are characteristic of particular races?
Still undecided, but as you may have guessed, the Tellarites are very good at medical psi-tech.

Quote:
Are there any types that are unique (or nearly so) for specific races?
Possibly, but currently undecided.

Quote:
While the Vulcan/Romulan reveal was great in the original series and they have gotten some mileage out of it through the franchise: it isn't a surprise any more. I'd want the romulans to have some mystery about them.
OK, I can see that, but I'm not sure what you're voting for (though that may just be me being tired). Could you clarify, please?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:00 AM   #164
TGLS

I'll take whichever option leaves the Romulans entirely mysterious, so I can slot in a race on demand (i.e. Vicious snake people, Outcast humans, Romulan Classic, Tentacled telepaths, Green Andorians, whatever).
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #165
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll take whichever option leaves the Romulans entirely mysterious, so I can slot in a race on demand (i.e. Vicious snake people, Outcast humans, Romulan Classic, Tentacled telepaths, Green Andorians, whatever).
OK, so two clear votes for 'pretty much canon,' one clear vote for 'less mysterious' (in the sense that their identities would be already known), and two votes for 'more mysterious' (yours and isf's).

I was going to close the vote, but there's no clear winner, so it remains open far another day or two, I guess. Anyone else want to speak up? Otherwise, I'll use my vote as a tiebreaker.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #166
isf

Quote:
OK, I can see that, but I'm not sure what you're voting for (though that may just be me being tired). Could you clarify, please?

I'd vote for the Romulans to still be a mystery. For example in my st game, the romulan star empire is a multi-species polity known to be ruled by a senate drawn from eligible patricians who have romanesque naming patterns. The unknown part is that elevation to the patrician class is being joined with a trill-like symbiont (the names reflect the symbiont's experience and lineage). The symbiont's existence is unknown outside of the empire and mostly secret within it. The first romulans seen by the feds may well have been a vulcan descended crew.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #167
Phantasm

I'd also vote for "still a mystery", too.

I'd also vote that, for Psi-Trek, the war has yet to actually start in earnest.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:26 AM   #168
Prince Charon

OK, it occurred to me after I got some sleep that I could have just declared the vote closed and started the new one on which specific form of 'modified canon' is preferred (which so far seems to be 'mysterious Romulans'). Unfortunately, if I never posted while tired, I would only post maybe a tenth as often, I think.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I'll close this vote tomorrow (meaning 11/16/2019) if nothing stops me from posting, and if the current trend remains unchanged, start another one just to make sure of which form of modified canon the consensus finds acceptable (as there were already votes for something other than 'more mysterious Romulans,' and the people who preferred 'pretty much canon' and 'less mysterious Romulans' deserve to have a say in what sort of modified canon we end up with, as do those who haven't voted, but still might).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I'd also vote for "still a mystery", too.

I'd also vote that, for Psi-Trek, the war has yet to actually start in earnest.
That's more a matter of when you're setting your game, I think. If I run a game in this setting, I'd probably be planning to run it somewhere around a century after the Romulan War, but running it before the war is certainly an option, and one that I could also have fun with (and there are sure to be players out there who want a game set during the Romulan War).

-- Tacitus

Old 11-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #169
Prince Charon

Romulan War - modified canon specifics

OK, since we're going with Modified canon (with Romulans), now is the time to vote on what sort of modifications we're going to have:

1: Less mysterious Romulans, such as their identities already being known during the Romulan War.

2: Less isolationist Romulans, as in they communicate and trade after the war, rather than cutting themselves off as they did in canon. Goes hand-in-hand with '1,' as being mysterious would be rather difficult when they're trading and having diplomatic relations with people.

3: More mysterious Romulans, so they aren't known, yet, and might not be a Vulcanian offshoot.

4: More alien Romulans, meaning that they're either not a Vulcanian offshoot at all, or they're a shoot that's much further off.

5: Something else. Please specify what.

Please include the number of your preferred vote (or votes, if you want to combine a couple of the compatible ones).

EDIT: Option 3 is the winning vote.

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 11-23-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #170
TGLS

Again, I'll take 3, so 4 is possible.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionics, space, star trek, world building