Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 08-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Blue Ghost

Default New SP campaign?

Is there any chance of new single player campaigns being published?
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #2
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: New SP campaign?

I hope so...

I think they are prioritizing getting the game fully functioning without any issues/bugs before adding any new Campaign Scenarios.

If they could make the Scenario Creator capable of creating Campaign Scenarios, that would be incredibly awesome, but the answer from AUROCH sounded like that is not really possible unfortunately.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:56 AM   #3
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Is there any chance of new single player campaigns being published?
It's not planned at the moment, but good to know that the demand is there! :)

Thanks for letting us know.
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
It's not planned at the moment, but good to know that the demand is there! :)

Thanks for letting us know.
The demand isn't just there, it's going to be necessary for continued interest. You can replay the current scenario only so many times before it gets old. I'd also like to reiterate a variation on this:

Make the campaign scenarios playable by two human players.

These are some really decent scenarios and they would be perfect for multiplayer opportunities that would keep them fresh and replayable.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
offsides

1) Additional SP campaigns are definitely necessary. The existing one can be given more longevity by adding in some random placement of the defenders and/or AI difficulty levels, but it only helps so much.

2) If nothing else, you need to add the extra conventional units (GEV-PCs, LGEVs, hovertrucks and trucks) to the game. That opens up a lot of things, especially scenarios like Operation Newspaper which would be perfect for implementing as a single-player scenario that's easily randomized for at least some replayability.

Note: I haven't had a chance to play since the GEV maps and scenarios came out, so I don't know what has and hasn't been implemented with them. But obviously more of that would be good too :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Note: I haven't had a chance to play since the GEV maps and scenarios came out, so I don't know what has and hasn't been implemented with them. But obviously more of that would be good too :)
Only a small subset, unfortunately. :-(
  • Breakthrough
  • The Train
  • Ceasefire Collapse
  • Last Train Out

There's still a ton of potential material that can be added for Scenarios. Unfortunately, there are limitations in the scenario creator that make it impossible to fan-create the missing stuff.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The demand isn't just there, it's going to be necessary for continued interest.

There's still a ton of potential material that can be added for Scenarios. Unfortunately, there are limitations in the scenario creator that make it impossible to fan-create the missing stuff.
But what are those limits? If, indeed the current Scenario Creator cannot support OGRE Scenarios in a way that truly moves the game forward and allows Fan-Made Scenarios, which does seem to be the case, something clearly needs to be done to remedy this deficiency...because it's stifling the games potential by making a great yet very limited start and then failing to move any further.

With the addition of the Map Printer feature, the potential for the games forward momentum becomes exponentially more so...but this has to be firing on all pistons, and we need enough pistons in the engine to move the game forward if it is to ever be able to be at its full potential.

We now have that potential due to technology not available before to truly make OGRE digital with all that brings forth. The Scenario Creator is the key to this objective. OGRE moving forward springs from that Scenario Creator. Players can make their own maps and Scenarios, Campaigns?, then these can be played in the digital game OR the maps could be printed to play on the tabletop at home or at Conventions.

I suggest, in view of the fact the current Scenario Creator cannot meet this requirement, that a new and separate and completely capable game engine be used and the Scenario Creator is started from scratch, built from the ground up while being in complete control and knowledge of what is wanted from the final version. Otherwise the game has been hamstrung by the limitations of the current game engine.

I'll go so far as to say start the whole thing over from scratch using a new and completely capable engine. The Devs can learn from the limitations of the first version and use that to their advantage when choosing and using the new engine.
Everyone who already owns the game can be given a free version of the new game when it launches. It's OK to admit OGRE is much more of a game than most software can handle and it was underestimated. In fact I'd use that as a reboot selling point. Say the original launch was a unintentional Beta version after discovering too late that OGRE demands a more robust platform and engine to completely allow it to roll on all it's tread units. Otherwise it will languish and grind to a halt under its own weight with limited power. Make no mistake about this...OGRE is fully capable of rolling on all of it's tread units, and it can do this, but only if it is given the proper engine to do so...will you? You have OGRE fans out here trying to work with and work around issues using what is available to create new OGRE content to keep the game moving. We and OGRE need more to achieve this for the game...it's worth it to us to buy the game and put the time in, our compensation being new playable content that inspires others which will grow the game...is it worth it to you?

OGRE on STEAM is currently suffering a Disable effect and there is no chance for a successful Disable roll to return it to full operational status unless we have a total reboot using a completely capable game engine...do we?...and will you?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Mack_JB

In the end, while I'm a fan of Ogre -- the main thrust should be as a game system using maps, counters, minis, and tactile play. While the video game is good, if it costs money to further develop it, I say "so long" and use that money to develop stuff for the actual game.

SJG has noted belt-tightening (especially here), and spending assets to prop up the video game seems like a bad decision in the long run.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The demand isn't just there, it's going to be necessary for continued interest. You can replay the current scenario only so many times before it gets old. I'd also like to reiterate a variation on this:

Make the campaign scenarios playable by two human players.

These are some really decent scenarios and they would be perfect for multiplayer opportunities that would keep them fresh and replayable.
Much of what I like about all of the old 80s and late 70s games, is just the scope of imagination, and sheer variety of settings. But, one of the minor issues I have is a lack of ability to continue campaigns, or to start new ones when there's no one around to play with.

Like the other guy stated, a campaign that allows multiplayer would be fantastic. Or like a lot of modern RTS games; several human players against AI, or some mix of that, would be pretty fun.

Right now I just want a new campaign, or perhaps a campaign structure that allows dedicated gamers to meet, game, save the campaign, then meet up again to continue it.

Just some ideas. I'm glad people have responded positively.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote