Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
PenitentDemon

Default Re: Destiny & Fate

Neihter side does, you Reincarnate if you meet both.

or if you get cynical and self hating enoguh you cease to be.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

If I read canon right, cynicism doesn't really enter into it. The implication in the Corporeal Players Guide seems to be that a soul that has been through the cycle too many times eventually wears out, not emotionally, but literally.

But the other point is correct -- if you meet both Destiny and Fate (as Hemingway did in canon) or neither (as most do in canon), then you're back into the hopper for another try.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
If I read canon right, cynicism doesn't really enter into it. The implication in the Corporeal Players Guide seems to be that a soul that has been through the cycle too many times eventually wears out, not emotionally, but literally.

But the other point is correct -- if you meet both Destiny and Fate (as Hemingway did in canon) or neither (as most do in canon), then you're back into the hopper for another try.
Well, that will thin the hordes going to Heaven and Hell quite a bit. Because how many people actually reach their Destiny or Fate?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Well, that will thin the hordes going to Heaven and Hell quite a bit. Because how many people actually reach their Destiny or Fate?
In a single lifetime? A small percentage, true. Over the course of existence? Eventually, everybody who doesn't "wear out." And canon never establishes how many tries that takes, or if it's something rare that doesn't affect most souls in the mix.

Considering how much time has already passed since the War started, I don't see that it necessarily "thins the hordes" much at all. Especially since some of the Fates/Destinies are small ones.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
PenitentDemon

One problem is some have Fates LIke "Tear up unopened Mail"

and "become a science teacher" is listed in liber servitorium as both a fate and a destiny.

Commiting suicide in public alsoa destiny.

It does say "one mans fate may be anothers destiny

but on things like "tear up unopened mail"

for him to have any hope of avoiding it, a servitor of Yves will have to watch him all his life... and convince him to read all mail he gets, even Spurious credit card offers. GRoNAS
Old 03-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #16
Methariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
but on things like "tear up unopened mail"

for him to have any hope of avoiding it, a servitor of Yves will have to watch him all his life... and convince him to read all mail he gets, even Spurious credit card offers. GRoNAS
Nobody said serving Destiny was easy. I think the opposite is true - and that's exactly one of the causes. It's easy to see why other angels don't understand how difficult serving Destiny sometimes is.

But since I'm not accustomed to the abbreviation: What does GRoNAS mean?

M.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
PenitentDemon

Was a Badly typed Groans.

Get spurious credit card offers all the time.

and if my fate is to tear up unopened mail ive damned myself a thousand times over.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
PenitentDemon

Oh hmmn thing is The Smallest fates and destinys are the hardest to prevent.

and easyiest to cause.

like if someones destiny or fate involves becoming a doctor, or becoming a mad scientist.

Kronos, if its not required for their fate too, will have no hesitation to just sabotage a childs academic performance.

Think Yves would Sanction such a thing in extreme enough cases (I know it probaly depends on what mood you want lol but.)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
Oh hmmn thing is The Smallest fates and destinys are the hardest to prevent.

and easyiest to cause.
I'll contradict on the latter -- demons and angels can't directly cause a Destiny or Fate; the motivating factor has to come from the mortal. The most a celestial can do is set up the conditions and prepare the ground.

The classic example: If a person's Fate is to murder a national leader, you can't just have a Shedite possess the person, take them to the Texas Book Depository and start opening fire at the president's motorcade. It has to be a bit more indirect than that.

Now, possessing the guy's friends and family so that he regularly hears a stream of invective about the president, possessing government officials to harass him on a steady basis, possessing a buddy who takes him out to the shooting range every week to "work off some steam" -- that's all valid and could be used to encourage him toward that fatal step. But the step must be his.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
PenitentDemon

lol I know that.

still, with SMALL destinys, or fates.

Like hmmn if I arrange for someone to be disfigured, so their hideous, think that would screw oever their destiny, of "comfort a lonely child"

Though I think a Desitnean could probaly find a clever way around that, if he notices.

Tags
rules, theories