Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
hal

Default Nanosymbionts and duration

Hello Folks,
BIOTECH has information on Nanosymbionts and gives the cost for Panimmunity level 1 as being $150/$7500

The first value before the slash represents a temporary pannimmunity, while the second number after the slash is permanent.

What I can't find is a duration (time limit) for the first version. Anyone know what the time duration of the $150 shot is supposed to be?

Thanks
Hal
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Nanosymbionts and duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
What I can't find is a duration (time limit) for the first version. Anyone know what the time duration of the $150 shot is supposed to be?
See Temporary Nanosymbionts, p164, first column. The duration is set by the user before the nanosymbionts are administered.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
hal

Default Re: Nanosymbionts and duration

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
See Temporary Nanosymbionts, p164, first column. The duration is set by the user before the nanosymbionts are administered.
Thanks. I was thrown off by the reference to TL 10. A TL 9 version of this would seem to have a max duration of 2 weeks before it shuts down.

I've a player in my Fantasy Grounds campaign who wanted to know about certain Biotech stuff, but he's working off GURPS CLASSIC BIOTECH (well, the book wasn't called that to be sure!). The idea that losing one's appendix offers a +1 HT bonus was bogus in my opinion, and as such, I told him Non-applicable. The other things like bone marrow transplants look viable, but the one that got me the most was the fact that you can get a marrow transplant that offers +8 to Disease resistance. At a cost of $5000, this is far better than the simple +3 bonus at $7,500.

In all, it sort of looks as though many of these "items" are priced without seeing if they make economic sense or not. Of course, if Spleen transplants aren't available, then this isn't a problem. Panimmunity level 1 is also a pill that one can take that doesn't require any surgical processes or down time or what have you.

One does have to wonder however - what happens when you get a Nanosymbiont that was designed for someone else's body?

If the spleen augmentation has to be grown and modified from genetic material taken from the character - it provides for a risk factor that anything implanted in their body - but from someone else's genetic material, could run afoul of genetic rejection issues.

Running a GURPS BIO & CYBER Punk campaign does introduce some inconsistencies at times. :(
hal is offline   Reply With Quote