Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Conversions

One of the common difficulties that I have had comes from converting the unique aspects of the rules for a setting made for a specific RPG to the GURPS system. Two examples that are particularly difficult are Exalted and Shadowrun.

In the first case, the Exalted are demigods whose primary capabilities are Artifacts, Charms, and Spells, all of which are much cheaper in the Exalted universe than they would be in GURPS. For example, a level 5 artifact (which is around the same cost as a beginning Charm or Spell), grants the equivalent in GURPS of +10 to an Attribute.

In the second case, the functionality of beginning characters in Shadowrun, a dark and grim future, can vary between 400 CP (for a nonaugmented and nonsupernatural human) to 800 CP (for a Troll combat mage or a Troll street samurai). Since augmentations cost money and Essence rather than CP, it is quite possible to create beginning characters who can punch harder than a sniper rifle. While the characters preserve the feeling of the setting using Shadowrun rules, they become superheroes when converted to GURPS.

What other conversions have you had difficulty with?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Conversions

I don't think I've ever converted anything from another game to GURPS. I've converted quite a few works of fiction, but nothing with game stats. The only game stats conversion I remember was from World of Darkness to DC Heroes, and that went really smoothly.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Likewise, I've never tried to convert another RPG to GURPS. The way an RPG plays has a lot to do with its rules, and while it's possible to implement almost any set of rules within GURPS, it may well not be worth the trouble.

I have run quite a lot of Call of Cthulhu scenarios under GURPS, finding that I could adapt them on the fly with satisfactory results.

I've played Dark Conspiracy and TORG under GURPS, but I don't know the original game systems, so I don't know how close the adaptations were. TORG stopped because the GM became dissatisfied with the scenario material; I don't quite remember why Dark Conspiracy went on hiatus.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #4
Arcanjo7Sagi

Sometime ago I ran Werewolf the Forsaken (the 1E) in GURPS. And the werewolf template alone was 500 pts (more or less), and without the Gifts.

With everything a beginning character can have, the cost can easily be above 700 or even 800 pts. With veteran NPCs (with plenty of 5 in Attributes and Skills in Storytelling system), this cost was way beyond 1000 or even 2000 pts. Not just because of high skill or attribute levels, mas because all the Gifts and their power. Some level 4 or 5 gifts are very powerful and affect several miles radius.

Some conversions requires a lot of work and won't be fair with everybody. In the example above, if some player want to play a human in a Werewolf campaing where de starting werewolfs has 750 pts, the game probably will not work if this human PC starts with the same 750 pts. He will probably better than Batman. So, in this case, he will probably start with 250 pts (with is the same of the others PCs if they didn't have the template).

And for this work, you will need the collaboration of your players.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
Rising

I have used the Dark Sun campaign setting with GURPS and that went really well. Probarbly because we found it more important to capture the mood of the setting than convert the rules. The same goes for the two "World of Darkness/Vampire meets GURPS Cyberpunk" campaigns I played in.

I played in an Ars Magica campaign where the GM used a GURPS/Ars Magica-hybrid of his own and that work really well. That was before we had RPM. Had those rules been out there when the campaign began we would probarbly have used those instead.

So I dont think I have ever had any real problems converting campaign settings to GURPS.
Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post

I have run quite a lot of Call of Cthulhu scenarios under GURPS, finding that I could adapt them on the fly with satisfactory results.
That's the way the World of D'y'r't ran. I converted (on the fly) from adventures made for various editions of D&D (2e 3.5, Hackmaster) and my players were enthusiastic.

The closest I came to converting elements of the system was when I converted magic items. I was still coinverting those items effects rather than the original game mechanics though. don't convert mechanics. It's almost always a mistake.

As an example, I have reached in my head the decision that if Iever do run Shadowrun in Gurps I would just use Gurps Magic and Path/Book magic. I admired the Shadowrun magic system greatly when it was new but it was actually pretty hard to run in the orignal system. I certainly wouldn't try and convert SR gun combat much less its' almost non-existent melee combat system.

If I was feeling bold I might use Path/Book only with Ritual Adept allowing soem casting on the fly.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Phantasm

My conversions so far: Rifts, Star Wars, and Marvel Comics. Of these, handling the Force in Star Wars, specifically the Dark Side, was the hardest part - and to be fair it wasn't all that hard once I got my hands on Power-Ups 4: Impulse Buys.

Marvel took some doing early on to get the right magic system for it. With Thaumatology's release, though, the system became easier. (I've basically been told "no, use RPM or Sorcery instead of Realm." I'm not changing it at this point. Ask me again in another ten years.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
Kax

I know of two GURPS Shadowrun games. Neither was a direct conversion of the templates and rules; costing Essence in CP to then use that CP for cyberware was too fiddly.

Both used GURPS rules and GURPS cyberware and magic systems but with Shadowrun setting and terminology.

For Exalted you could use the rules that were developed for Amber; 1,000+ CP characters, all skills are Wildcards, stats start at 15, couple of other things. Again, don't convert the system, convert the setting. Ie, in GURPS terms that item won't give a +10 but a +4.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
Whome?

I converted Dark Conspiarcy to GURPs. It was hard but the game was a blast to play when we were done.

Dark Conspiracy first edition is a beautifully published game and GURPS is the perfect game to play it with. The setting is amazing and once you get the character templates done pretty easy to run after that.

Of course, they really easy way is to have the players generate FBI agents and play X Files with it.
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #10
mr beer

I almost always run games set in Greyhawk using GURPS - previously 3e and now 4e. My conversion work is pretty much limited to statting out monsters and I go with converting the flavour of the monster rather than trying for a 1:1 match.

I don't try to emulate D&D's (horrible IMO) magic system, I use GURPS because it's better. I don't try to emulate level systems, I use GURPS because it's better.

The DF series was a huge boon to me and I ripped it off to make character templates which really help with niche protection and balance.

Next campaign I run will be Warhammer Fantasy which someone already converted to GURPS anyway. I'm going to write my own character templates though (I really liked the dozens of careers of WFRP v1.0), change the racial templates and play around with the magic system to make it more blaster-friendly and less safe.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote