Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
ryannuss03

Default Discard Pile Rules

My friends and I began playing Munchkin last night, and we ran into one argument late in our second game regarding the way cards go into the discard pile after combat.

Example: Player 1 kicks open a door and fights a monster. Players 3 and 4 use various cards to buff the monster to try and prevent Player 1 from defeating the monster. Player 1 ultimately succeeds and the monster is destroyed. My question is this, what order do the cards go into the discard pile? Does the monster go into the discard pile last as it is the last thing to "resolve" or do the buffing cards go in last because they are the last cards to be played? Why this matters is because if Player 2, who is up next, is a cleric on level 9, he can resurrect the monster and fight it to win the game if the monster is on top of the pile. If the monster is buried under the buffing cards, then there is a strong chance a monster will not be drawn when kicking down the door. Thanks for your help.
ryannuss03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: Discard Pile Rules

The rules say that the player whose turn it is decides the order of the discards. I'm on my phone right now, but I'm sure someone will be along with a proper link. You can find the pdf of the rules on each sets product page.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Grimbriar

Default Re: Discard Pile Rules

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Q. On my turn, we played a bunch of cards into a fight, and the player to my left is a Cleric. He started to put the cards on the discard pile in the order he wanted – is that legal?
A. The player whose turn it is discards everything. If the order is important, he sets that as well.
Also, and this is slightly contradictory

Quote:
Q. When does a card move from play to discard? For example, if I use a one-shot Item during combat, is it in play during the entire combat or does it immediately move to the discards?
A. The one-shot card does not move to the discards until the battle is over. However, you no longer "own" that card, unless someone plays something to reboot the combat and return all cards to their owners, in which case you resume ownership.
Generally, we play whoever's turn it is keeps going until the say done, or "your turn" or something similar, so they discard before passing the turn to the left.

@Grimbriar on the Twitter

The Glimpse on XBL
Grimbriar is offline   Reply With Quote