Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-31-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
floorshow73

Default Playing monster cards in Charity Phase

The rules for the Charity Phase state: "If you have more than five cards in your hand, you must play enough cards to get you to five or below."

Does that mean that I can play monster cards and fight them at this point to get down to five cards in my hand? Or does the rule mean that I can play cards I could otherwise play at this point to get down to five, but can only play cards listed in the "When You May Take Actions" section of the rules?
floorshow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Shredhed

Default Re: Playing monster cards in Charity Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorshow73 View Post
The rules for the Charity Phase state: "If you have more than five cards in your hand, you must play enough cards to get you to five or below."

Does that mean that I can play monster cards and fight them at this point to get down to five cards in my hand? Or does the rule mean that I can play cards I could otherwise play at this point to get down to five, but can only play cards listed in the "When You May Take Actions" section of the rules?
No, you can only play a Monster from your hand to look for trouble after kicking the door and NOT finding a monster, with a wandering monster into a combat, or into a combat without wandering monster if the monster allows it.

You can give monsters as charity. You can play other cards if allowed, prime example is to play a curse on someone so you don't have to charity it or a level up card. You can sidebar items or change equipment now too.
Shredhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Playing monster cards in Charity Phase

Please avoid terms, like "sidebar," which have no game definition, especially in the Munchkin 101 forum. Not everyone knows what those terms mean. I know what it means only because of what the word actually means in modern usage, as I can't think of a card or board game that I've played that uses such a term. Doesn't mean it isn't out there, but it's not used, at all, in the Munchkin rules, so avoid it, especially here.

With respect to the way Munchkin describes things in the rules, you can carry (i.e., have in play) any number of Items, with the key exception that you may carry only one Big Item. You can even carry Items you can't use, for example an Item that requires a Class you don't have, or an extra piece of Headgear when you're already using Headgear. The Items you are not using must be turned sideways to that everyone at the table can see what of your in-play Items are being used.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 01-04-2015 at 07:11 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote