Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: What if... Yves was destroyed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelaughter View Post
Yves' dissonance conditions prevent his Servitors from moving anyone towards their Fate - but a lot of creates will have the Fate of "be horribly soul-killed".

I don't know that I would agree. Fates and Destinies have to be part of a conscious choice on the part of the character; simply dying in a horrible manner is not a Fate. A suicide can be a Fate, being murdered usually isn't ... although the circumstances that led to that murder may be a Fate!

To use an example that came up in one campaign: if a child is abducted, brutalized and murdered, he or she has clearly met a horrible end. But being abducted and murdered is not a Fate because it's not something the child chose. (Which also avoids the moral problem of a brutalized child going to Hell because of its abuse, by the way; you can't force Heaven or Hell on someone.)

I forget if it's core or in the FAQs, but it's mentioned somewhere that for a demon, the Destiny is always to Redeem and for an angel, the Fate is always to Fall.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
I forget if it's core or in the FAQs, but it's mentioned somewhere that for a demon, the Destiny is always to Redeem and for an angel, the Fate is always to Fall.
For Destiny and Fate above, I believe you should replace the prefaces "the" with "a". ;-)

As in, for demons, they each have a Destiny of "to Redeem" and for angels, they each have a Fate of "to Fall". They can still have additional, more specific (i.e. more personalized individual) Destinies and Fates...

Franklin
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain View Post
For Destiny and Fate above, I believe you should replace the prefaces "the" with "a". ;-)

As in, for demons, they each have a Destiny of "to Redeem" and for angels, they each have a Fate of "to Fall". They can still have additional, more specific (i.e. more personalized individual) Destinies and Fates...

Franklin
I like that, and that makes sense.

Incidentally, is there any celestial in canonical In Nomine that yo-yoed? Meaning, an angel that Fell, Redeemed, and then Fell again, or a demon that Redeemed, Fell, and then Redeemed again?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I like that, and that makes sense.

Incidentally, is there any celestial in canonical In Nomine that yo-yoed? Meaning, an angel that Fell, Redeemed, and then Fell again, or a demon that Redeemed, Fell, and then Redeemed again?
I'm not aware of any.

A Celestial who Redeemed, Fell, and Redeemed again would have a difficult time finding an Archangel to carry out the second Redemption. The only one I can think of who might do it is Novalis.

And a Celestial who Fell, redeemed, and Fell again wouldn't be trusted by any of the Princes - they'd be wondering how much he told Heaven after the last go-round. Lilith might take in such a yo-yo, but it would be very expensive.

None of this applies of the Celestial was ordered to yo-yo, of course ... but that's a rather gray campaign option.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I'm not aware of any.

A Celestial who Redeemed, Fell, and Redeemed again would have a difficult time finding an Archangel to carry out the second Redemption. The only one I can think of who might do it is Novalis.

And a Celestial who Fell, redeemed, and Fell again wouldn't be trusted by any of the Princes - they'd be wondering how much he told Heaven after the last go-round. Lilith might take in such a yo-yo, but it would be very expensive.

None of this applies of the Celestial was ordered to yo-yo, of course ... but that's a rather gray campaign option.
Good point. Incidentally, I could see Blandine also considering it.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
naraht

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I'm not aware of any.

I'm also thinking Janus. The obligatory Impudite of Theft who redeems to the wind and then gets trapped by Vapulan plot-device will shackles...
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
theories, yves