Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default What if... Yves was destroyed?

Another what if scenario. What if Yves was destroyed? I mean now (modern age), although I guess we could speculate on previous time periods.

Would it make a difference if Michael's darkest suspicions turned out to be right, and Yves had nefarious ends (either towards Heaven, or against both sides), and he had to be "put down" like Legion had to be?

What happens to Heaven? How does Hell react?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: What if... Yves was destroyed?

Well, Kronos would have a field day with nobody to oppose him... unless the theories about Yves and Kronos being two facets of the same Being are correct, in which case he goes "poof" as well.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
gjc8

1) The Symphony and/or God provides a new Archangel of Destiny, subtly or not.

2) Kronos and Lucifer win, albeit slowly. Destiny as a concept is lost, humanity is cast adrift from their greatest potential.

3) Destiny becomes tied more closely to God, bypassing the even the Angelic Superiors. Humans who achieve their Destiny go directly to the Higher Heavens. The Angelic side in The War is weakened, but it's not a disruption to the Divine Plan. At least so far as anyone can tell.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
Jason

I have a hard time picturing the "secret nefarious ends" scenario, and an easier time picturing Michael looking sheepish after something really bad happens to Yves. (Or, alternatively, Michael getting all angry, like, "Dammit, old man, this is what all that secrecy got you. We could have HELPED you!")

Destiny is a Really Big Deal, so I wonder if it's a Word that Heaven would refuse to leave vacant. It might feel kind of hollow, though, to just promote any old Servitor into it. I actually think it would be cool to see a human soul promoted into that position. I mean, if Destiny is about humans achieving their utmost potential and being rewarded in Heaven, that's a powerful symbol. Insert your favorite messiah/buddha/saint/leader here, maybe.

Alternatively, I could see Yves's destruction being the event that finally kicks the apocalypse into high gear, and perhaps even one of the eldest angels, like Gabriel or Michael, declaring that their own Words were part of Destiny all along!

This also reminds me of that years-old "heretical" post-apocalyptic setting after the redemption of Lucifer. I could see Lucifer actually going toe-to-toe with Yves, and Yves allowing himself to be destroyed so that Lucifer can see the error of his ways ... and become the new Archangel of Destiny (Actually, maybe I'll save that one for "what Eli's really up to.")
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8 View Post
2) Kronos and Lucifer win, albeit slowly. Destiny as a concept is lost, humanity is cast adrift from their greatest potential.
I don't see this one happening. The Archangels of Love and Fear both Fell to become the Demon Princes of Lust and Nightmares during the Rebellion, but we still have the concepts of love and fear...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I don't see this one happening. The Archangels of Love and Fear both Fell to become the Demon Princes of Lust and Nightmares during the Rebellion, but we still have the concepts of love and fear...
Although the latter has lost a lot of the connotations of "reverence" that it used to have, except among dedicated readers of the King James Bible. Likewise, many people are quite casual in their use of the word "love" but have no difficulty agreeing on a clear meaning for "lust." Perhaps the loss of their patrons still weakened the concepts, or at least their clarity?

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
tHEhERETIC

Being politics minded as I am, I have to note that he's the only major canonical character (I count Nisroc as minor) who can keep communication open between Michael and Dominic, Isn't he described as Dominic's only friend?

Heavenly Inquisition, and the only thing keeping Hell from running amok against their weakened opponent is Kronos' corresponding strength driving everyone to despair.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Being politics minded as I am, I have to note that he's the only major canonical character (I count Nisroc as minor) who can keep communication open between Michael and Dominic, Isn't he described as Dominic's only friend?
Pretty close. Litheroy is mentioned as one of the few who feels completely comfortable in the Judge's presence, and Dominic doesn't have much reason to mistrust Christopher yet. In fact, I've thought of a few plans he might have for the young Archangel once he's had a few more centuries to observe and evaluate. (I know, a rush job, but there is a War on.)

But as far as beings in whom Dominic places complete trust -- yes, Yves is probably about it.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Rocket Man

Another reason that this would be considered ominous -- Kronos only appeared on the scene about 12 centuries ago. What if it's a cycle and Yves is *becoming* Kronos for the next epoch?

Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
Whitelaughter

Yves' dissonance conditions prevent his Servitors from moving anyone towards their Fate - but a lot of creates will have the Fate of "be horribly soul-killed". There must be a huge amount of info that Yves is sitting on: if Yves is killed, but the Library survives, Michael and Laurence will probably get Litheroy to mine it for useful information and then going on a killing spree.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
theories, yves