Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
CarrionPeacock

Default [Basic] Catfall, Very Fit and Peripheral Vision Cost

Has anybody created some houserule to reduce the cost of Catfall, Very Fit and Peripheral Vision? These traits seems highly overpriced and plenty of comments that would agree with me can be found on older threads.
As a player I don't think I'd ever pay more than [5] for Catfall and Peripheral Vision, or [10] for Very Fit (maybe 360º Vision as well).
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Catfall, Very Fit and Peripheral Vision Cost

I've included catfall and vision advantages in "racial bundles", where I charge a lower amount for all of the advantages a racial template includes. These bundles never include any attribute or subattribute other than ST. I started doing it for science fiction games where some advantages underwhelming compared to tech. I don't mind using it for all but games where combat happens a lot and the influence of tech (including some magic systems) is minimal.

I've never stuck very fit in that category though. I really see fit taken in the first place, so it doesn't strike me as odd that very fit is never taken.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
CarrionPeacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I've included catfall and vision advantages in "racial bundles", where I charge a lower amount for all of the advantages a racial template includes. These bundles never include any attribute or subattribute other than ST. I started doing it for science fiction games where some advantages underwhelming compared to tech. I don't mind using it for all but games where combat happens a lot and the influence of tech (including some magic systems) is minimal.

I've never stuck very fit in that category though. I really see fit taken in the first place, so it doesn't strike me as odd that very fit is never taken.
Racial templates is the reason I made the thread. Some races in DF seems to get the short end of the stick because of overpriced traits.
Fit is fine, it's comparable to HT minus basic speed but instead of FP you get better FP regen. Very Fit might have been justifiable if the bonus came in reverse order, Fit halves FP spent on prolonged physical exertion while Very Fit doubles FP recovery.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Rolando

I can see peripheral vision as very situational.

But Cat Fall is a sold advanntage. 5 yards is a lot and with acrobatics you can drop from some 10 yards of height unscathed.

If the player don't make use of the advantage it's a player problem. Also a GM should create situations that allow for the use of the advantages. So if one of my players chose Cat Fall I will include some interesting architecture in the adventures so the advantage see the light, not just flat tunnels.

Very Healthy needs the use of some serious fatigue tracking, otherwise it is not as impressive. As I don't like tracking fatigue outside spell casting, and that only for the fantasy adventures, I don't recommend Very Fit to my players as some of its features are irrelevant.

Again, if one of my payers like Peripheral Vision, and really want it for their character concept, I'll make some situations that the advantage see some use.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
CarrionPeacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
But Cat Fall is a sold advanntage. 5 yards is a lot and with acrobatics you can drop from some 10 yards of height unscathed.
Catfall already includes a successful Acrobatics roll, so you can only fall 5 yards unscathed. Characters that would take this advantages are likely to be the numble type with an already high acrobatics skill, so the advantage is even less beneficial to them.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
JulianLW

Very Fit really ought to give a small bonus to Sex Appeal.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
I can see peripheral vision as very situational.

It isn't cumulative with acrobatics, but in any case, my experience is that falling is just not at all a common threat. I don't recall it happening ever in GURPS, though that's obviously campaign dependent (it has happened in other game systems -- but most commonly the cause included being stunned, where you wouldn't expect catfall to work in the first place, though as written I think it does).
Old 11-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Peripheral Vision is a quite cheap advantage for what it does. It removes the rear hex, so you can never suffer from a surprise attack due to positioning.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #9
Rolando

You are right, I may be having the house rule for cinematic fantasy games.

Still, 5 yards is a lot, a player should make use of it or it is easier to just have acrobatics.

Acrobatics suffer penalties for bad footing, darkness and other conditions. Cat Fall is an automatic success.

I still believe it is a solid advantage if the GM create the opportunities for it to shine and the player uses it.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Peripheral Vision is a quite cheap advantage for what it does. It removes the rear hex, so you can never suffer from a surprise attack due to positioning.
That's another of those things that rarely come up. Aside from ambushes, where danger sense is usually a better investment, it's not that easy to pull off back attacks -- you can't get one on a runaround attack (gotta start your turn behind them), so usually your attempt is either foiled by them moving, or foiled by someone stabbing you in the back before you get a chance to take advantage of your position.

Tags
advantage, catfall, house rule, peripheral vision, very fit