Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Making metal transparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
If aluminum can be transparent, then control metal can make something transparent.
Calling Aluminum Oxynitrite "transparent aluminum" was a marketing stunt. It isn't transparent elemental metallic aluminum anymore than gorilla glass is "transparent potassium". It's a compound of aluminum and two non-metals.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #32
starslayer

Quote:
If aluminum can be transparent, then control metal can make something transparent.
Aluminum cannot be transparent.

Aluminum based ceramics can be transparent, but they are notably radically different from aluminum;
Super high melting point
Fragile
Can't be reshaped or reformed

Control (ceramic) would be required to work with it, not control metal.

Further even IF aluminum can be transparent does not mean all metal can. That would be like arguing that because cesium reacts violently with water that control metal let's you turn lead into a bomb.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #33
GodBeastX

Well, if it's a super science TL then does that change if metal can be transparent?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #34
Anthony

Quote:
Well, if it's a super science TL then does that change if metal can be transparent?
If it's transparent, it's not metal. Superscience might come up with a material with many of the properties of metal that was also transparent, but it will be a ceramic or a plastic, not a metal.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #35
GodBeastX

So is an oxide metal no longer a metal by the standards?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

Is it a literal defining characteristic of metal to be opaque? Basic definitions I can find just say they're usually shiny.

Superscience can of course alter all sorts of things but making a triangle with four sides, for example, can't be one and have human players not go cross-eyed in confusion.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #37
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Is it a literal defining characteristic of metal to be opaque? Basic definitions I can find just say they're usually shiny.

Superscience can of course alter all sorts of things but making a triangle with four sides, for example, can't be one and have human players not go cross-eyed in confusion.
Yeah, that's what I'm curious about. I'm not trying to bait with questions. We have transparent oxide metals, I just don't know if those would count.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #38
starslayer

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm curious about. I'm not trying to bait with questions. We have transparent oxide metals, I just don't know if those would count.
I don't think we have any directly transparent metal oxides, generally the oxide is then mixed with other things to turn it into a crystal of some variety, and that crystal is transparent.

Metals generally meet the following requirements:
Lustrous (shiny)
Hard
High density (are heavy for their size)
High tensile strength (resist being stretched)
High melting and boiling points
Good conductors of heat and electricity
High tolerance for deformation and the ability to be reformed when broken (ductility)

I think it would ultimately come down to a GM call if some sort of super-science meta-material that meets those properties and is also transparent is actually a metal. It will almost certainly NOT be a metal as per metaloids on the periodic table- but we consider steel a metal and it contains a lot of carbon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...talsrev1.shtml
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #39
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Defining property is a bunch of electrons that are not associated with specific atoms. This means it has no bandwidth gaps that light can get through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I don't think we have any directly transparent metal oxides
Al2O3 is transparent in crystalline form (corundum; with dopants, forms ruby or sapphire), though in powder form it's white. Same for cubic zirconia.

Last edited by Anthony; 02-13-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #40
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Defining property is a bunch of electrons that are not associated with specific atoms. This means it has no bandwidth gaps that light can get through.

Al2O3 is transparent in crystalline form (corundum; with dopants, forms ruby or sapphire), though in powder form it's white. Same for cubic zirconia.
Okay, so literally by definition impossible for an elemental metal to be transparent. Not that superscience could just create a new metal without royally screwing over even high school science with the periodic table.
But interesting to learn anyway. Thanks.