Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
equals

Default Best way to learn GURPS

What is the best way to learn how to play GURPS? Would playing the Dungeon Fantasy box set be a good way? I have the Basic set books. I just want to learn how to play to get a better idea before making a huge campaign.
equals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Best way to learn GURPS

Best way, would be to join a group with an experienced GURPS GM.

After that, would be to create some simple games. Don't use too many of the rules at first. As you play, add more rules.

Make some 100 point gun-monkeys and run them through a shopping mall shooting at each other. Learn the ranged combat rules. Don't let them use any melee rules.

Next time, make some 100 point melee-monkeys and have them beat the snot out of each other in a McDoogals. Learn the melee rules. Don't let them throw stuff, stick to melee.

Then, create some 100 point characters, let them have different skills, and have them fight zombies (everyone loves zombies). Try different combat techniques and let the party see how they work together.

Get the combat rules down and everything else will fall into place fairly easily.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

There's also How to be a GURPS GM, which will help somewhat.

I thought it was in Warehouse 23, but GURPS for Dummies doesn't appear to be there. But, it's another tool to utilize.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by equals View Post
Would playing the Dungeon Fantasy box set be a good way?
Sure.

But seriously, find a group that already plays and join them. Even if it's just an online game every couple of weeks.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

If you have questions, please ask. We're happy to answer them, and help you out.

Welcome to the jungle.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
RyanW

Learning to play GURPS is just like learning to swim, except it isn't done in water, isn't athletic in any way, and is a less useful skill if your sailboat is sinking.

Seriously, though. I would say start small. The conventional first step is probably creating a few characters and having them beat the crap out of each other. The Mook's combat examples (found here) are a good place to see the rules in use (Mook is also the author of How to be a GURPS GM). Ask about any details you are having trouble with here.

More than anything, the key is to approach GURPS as a toolkit, and you need to not only know how to use each tool, but also when to use each tool. Each option you add in is a potential pitfall, and you shouldn't add it unless you know why you are adding it.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:21 AM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I thought it was in Warehouse 23, but GURPS for Dummies doesn't appear to be there. But, it's another tool to utilize.
It's available in print or eBook through the For Dummies store. Also available (for cheaper) in print or Kindle on Amazon.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:16 AM   #8
SteamBub

Trapped in the Living Tomb is a neat article that plays like a choose your own adventure book while teaching you how to play. Also there is GURPS Simple Fantasy, haven't played with it myself, but looks to be a good way to get introduced to GURPS.
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:55 AM   #9
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by equals View Post
What is the best way to learn how to play GURPS? Would playing the Dungeon Fantasy box set be a good way? I have the Basic set books. I just want to learn how to play to get a better idea before making a huge campaign.
The very first step is, without contest, GURPS Lite. It gives all the fundamental rules, without the detail that often confuse newcomers ...

It is a 32 pages booklet which allows to learn the game quickly. And it is still a complete game, fully compatible with the whole game: after playing it during a while, you can take your GURPS Lite characters and go on playing with the Basic Set without having the least change to make. You can then add more optional rules, step by step, as you need them to make the game more fun and crunchy.

There are three pages which explain in detail how to start with GURPS. You can read them to have longer advice.
  • Welcome to GURPS. That one is written by Eric B. Smith. It's the best one to know all what you have to know about GURPS rapidly and confidently.
  • Series: New to GURPS Welcome. That one is written by Warren "Mook" Wilson (the author of How to Be a GURPS GM!). It is the best one to discover GURPS step by step.
  • Starting with GURPS. That one is written by me. If you see any problem with it (including language problem - English is not my other tongue), don't hesitate to say it.
Welcome in the outstanding world of GURPS (you made the best choice) and have a lot of fun!

Last edited by Gollum; 05-26-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:40 PM   #10
InfinitePudding

I own both How to be a GURPS GM and GURPS for Dummies, I also own GURPS Adaptations. I endorse all three :)
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introduction, introductions to gurps