Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2018, 01:44 AM   #31
Erling

Default Re: Steampunk Tech Without Fossil Fuels

Setting could have an alternative nearly-magical source of energy like brimstone in Deadlands or whale oil in Dishonored, the latter effectively being steampunk in "oilpunk" outfit.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:50 AM   #32
Dalillama

Whale oil can't work for the same reason as charcoal: not enough whales. To have an industrial revolution, you need copious fossil fuels, copious natural fissiles (and a lot of luck*) or copious handwavium.

*and even then only maybe
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:50 AM   #33
Erling

Handwavium and supernatural properties of whale oil, yes. In Dishonored universe whale oil has very high energetic capacity. Just like brimstone (not merely sulfur, but a supernatural mineral) in Deadlands.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:41 AM   #34
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
Handwavium and supernatural properties of whale oil, yes. In Dishonored universe whale oil has very high energetic capacity. Just like brimstone (not merely sulfur, but a supernatural mineral) in Deadlands.
Unless it's as energetic as, amtimatter, you're still gonna run out of whales in the medium term if you try running an industrial base 9ff them.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #35
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
To have an industrial revolution, you need copious fossil fuels, copious natural fissiles (and a lot of luck*) or copious handwavium.
revolution, yes. TL 5-6? maybe. It will take longer than in history, and it won't look quite like a revolution, but I suspect you'll eventually get enough technology, infrastructure, and resources built up to start getting the appropriate technology levels.

I don't know how steam punk that would look though.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #36
AlexanderHowl

You would get a society that was TL5 divergent. With the development of TL5 (+2) optics, you could start developing solar energy, allowing for the development of a hydrogen economy. With the hydrogen economy, you could start to explore space, though you would likely have very different spaceships than our spacecraft.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #37
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
revolution, yes. TL 5-6? maybe. It will take longer than in history, and it won't look quite like a revolution, but I suspect you'll eventually get enough technology, infrastructure, and resources built up to start getting the appropriate technology levels.

I don't know how steam punk that would look though.
I'd expect something like SkyHolm or the Maurai Federation from Orion Shall Rise.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 PM   #38
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Unless it's as energetic as, amtimatter, you're still gonna run out of whales in the medium term if you try running an industrial base 9ff them.
They're not burning it. It somehow magically is used to directly generate electricity.

And no, it doesn't need to have anywhere near the energy yield of antimatter. Whale oil with the energy yield of uranium fuel rods would be plenty to last rather a while. (Of course, Dishonored is pretty dystopian, so the economy being dangerously unsustainable is probably a feature.)
Old 05-31-2018, 04:00 AM   #39
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
You would get a society that was TL5 divergent. With the development of TL5 (+2) optics, you could start developing solar energy, allowing for the development of a hydrogen economy. With the hydrogen economy, you could start to explore space, though you would likely have very different spaceships than our spacecraft.
Also atomic energy, which is totally compatible with steampunk (IIRC, most modern nuclear reactors still provide power by using the reactor's heat to boil water, and have the spine a steam turbine or similar). That likewise can get you to a hydrogen economy...

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #40
Flyndaran
Untagged

I know there was a thread sometime about how low tech nuclear power could be developed. But I don't remember anything more specific.

A problem with that tech is power transmission without electricity and wires. That seems like it would negate the whole steampunk feel.
I suppose one could handwave superscience micro-nuclear generators.