Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 07-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Triplanetary: Entering Orbit

Finally got a chance to play this over the weekend (yeah, yeah... 3 years; I know). One thing that seems to be missing is a clear discussion about entering orbit from space. The only thing that the "Orbit" section mentions is how moving one hex at a time between gravity hexes "defines" orbit; it does not say how to get into orbit.

After a fair amount of deliberation/experimentation, the main thing we came up with is you have to expend fuel to enter orbit from space (which makes sense thematically/physically).

For example:
If Ship "S" is nearing planet "P" entering "A" at one hex per turn
Code:
 S>A B
 F  P  C
   E D
On the following turn, if you do nothing, it will be influenced by "A" and end up in "C" (with a vector A->C going between the planet and "B", heading out to space.
Code:
   A B
 F  P  CS
   E D   \
          v
This results in a "slingshot" around the planet; definitely not going into orbit. You still have more gravity influence at this point on the next turn, but you are definitely on your way out.

What we figured out is you need to spend one fuel when going between "A" and "B" opposite the direction of gravity at "B".
Code:
      //
   A SB
 F  P  C
   E D
That burn pulls the resultant vector up to A->B instead of sliding between "B" and the planet. At that point, you are in orbit (your next vector points out, but the gravity vector points back to the next gravity hex B->C, then C->D, etc).

This feels like a good example to include in a FAQ or a reprint if that ever happens.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Triplanetary: Entering Orbit

Reading proposed errata here before the next printing.

It feels as though you have overthought it somehow, and I'm not sure how.

If you are in a gravity hex, and move into the next gravity hex, you are in orbit. This will not happen unless you burn fuel.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Triplanetary: Entering Orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Reading proposed errata here before the next printing.

It feels as though you have overthought it somehow, and I'm not sure how.

If you are in a gravity hex, and move into the next gravity hex, you are in orbit. This will not happen unless you burn fuel.
Being accused of overthinking something in the rules doesn't sound like me ;-)

My point is more that it "makes sense" after you've fumbled through it a bit, but it's not immediately obvious when trying to learn. With how often you have to enter orbit, a visual diagram of that as one of the gravity examples would help a lot.