Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
scc

Default Can Animals Be Taught Martial Arts?

OK, I'm working on a HellBeast template and one thing I'm wondering is if domesticated ones could be taught skills like Karate if trained as attack dogs and the like
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
mr beer

Default Re: Can Animals Be Taught Martial Arts?

I think Brawling and a Technique or two is about what's reasonable for a trained fighting animal.

You could certainly train a dog to attack particular locations (Neck and Groin spring to mind) so points in Targeted Attack are not silly IMO.

This depends somewhat on the animal's IQ I think, are HellBeasts as smart as dogs, chimps, people? You could train a dim person in Karate I imagine.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Dalillama

I saw a news story a while back about a fellow who taught some monkeys kung fu for a street show. He treated them badly and wound up getting beaten up by a band of kung fu monkeys. That said, most animals are going to be looking at Brawling, because 1) Brawiling covers natural weapons by default, unlike Karate, and 2) they haven't got the body layout to use Karate anyway. It would certainly be plausible for sapient quadrupeds to develop an equivalent scientific fighting style(s), (Bun Fu, anyone?) but I don't know that humans could do it on their behalf.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I saw a news story a while back about a fellow who taught some monkeys kung fu for a street show. He treated them badly and wound up getting beaten up by a band of kung fu monkeys.
I should be working but now I'm laughing at my desk. I'm imagining the monkeys beating him while wearing those little monkey fez hats, set to Yakkety Sax.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
doulos05

Quote:
I saw a news story a while back about a fellow who taught some monkeys kung fu for a street show. He treated them badly and wound up getting beaten up by a band of kung fu monkeys.
Thank you, that just became the best query in my Google search results to date. The only bummer is that there's no video, only a picture. But the picture is pretty awesome.

Quote:
That said, most animals are going to be looking at Brawling, because 1) Brawiling covers natural weapons by default, unlike Karate, and 2) they haven't got the body layout to use Karate anyway. It would certainly be plausible for sapient quadrupeds to develop an equivalent scientific fighting style(s), (Bun Fu, anyone?) but I don't know that humans could do it on their behalf.
I think this makes sense. Wasn't there something in a Pyramid about fighting styles for aliens with different limb configurations than humans?
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
whswhs

In Transhuman Mysteries I wrote up a martial art for uplifted dogs. But THS uplifted dogs have IQ something like 6-8. I wouldn't figure you could teach such a thing to a nonsapient being.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
chandley

Arguably, Police dogs get either Sumo Wrestling or Wrestling. And even use one or both of Sweep or Takedown. They are definitely trained to do it better than raw ST or a straight DX roll might suggest, anyway. And I dont think you can use either with Brawling.

Striking skills though, might need some sapience.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
Culture20

Quote:
they haven't got the body layout to use Karate anyway. It would certainly be plausible for sapient quadrupeds to develop an equivalent scientific fighting style(s), (Bun Fu, anyone?) but I don't know that humans could do it on their behalf.
GURPS Karate is a generic skill that just means more effective fighting than Brawling. If a dog learns how to apply its body weight and biting grip to flip an opponent, then it might know GURPS Judo, but not actual judo.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
I think Brawling and a Technique or two is about what's reasonable for a trained fighting animal.

You could certainly train a dog to attack particular locations (Neck and Groin spring to mind) so points in Targeted Attack are not silly IMO.

This depends somewhat on the animal's IQ I think, are HellBeasts as smart as dogs, chimps, people? You could train a dim person in Karate I imagine.
Hellbeast is an Infectious Meta-Trait

EDIT: Sorry, let me elaborate on that,it's a template applied to a normal animal to make them into a demonic version
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #10
Kalzazz

I would think if you have domestic Hellbeasts I wouldn't blink at teaching them Karate
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote