Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
ParadoxGames

Default Re: What simple accessories I'd like for TFT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Or the presence of pirates or poison. ;)

I can deal with the skull-and-crossbones design, but every single TFT newcomer I've played with has been utterly confused--even those with ample tabletop RPG experience; they've thought each was a literal pile of bones. I've printed up a bunch of cadaver counters from one of the Cardboard Heroes sets, which work fine, but they lack the convenience of just flipping the counter.
I have a custom-made set of 2-sided "position" counters, which are placed wit a character counter to identify their current state: standing, picking up, kneeling, prone, unconscious or dead. Dead is just a plain skull iconographic. You can see the fronts of the three position counters here, below the XP counters and above "talents and spells on the character card. I keep all the $, XP, and HP counters in a poly bag with the character card, and no bookkeeping/writing & erasing is required.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/506924583132069888/556879192734564363/TFT_-_Assets_640.JPG

Also, of course, we need nuisance creature counters... this photo was taken during a game before the errata rule limiting rats to 2 per hex.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...05801738/3.png

Last edited by ParadoxGames; 12-14-2019 at 10:24 AM.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #12
Skarg

The thing about a motionless body on the ground, is that characters can almost never tell in combat which ones are actually dead, versus unconscious, faking it, asleep, etc. Showing skull & crossbones implies dead rather strongly.

Or skeletons or piles of bones... which are also pretty common literal dungeon features, so there's that kind of confusion too.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
Nils_Lindeberg

Civilians, kids, animals, carts (with or without horses/oxen) if you only want things that move as counters.

If you want everything as counters we need tents, fences, shrubberies, trees, street dressings in general, fireplaces, chimneys and roof windows, bridges, walkways, walls, climbable walls, different broken ground markers, etc. Maybe higher ground markers of some sort or slope and stairs counters.

Characters without drawn weapons, since they can depict more than one fighter/PC type. Easier for a player to relate to a more generic character and not skip it because the weapon was slightly off. You can even combine a character with the appropriate weapon counter on top.

Monster silhouettes, they don't need to have exact features, just be generally humanoid, four legged, furry, winged or slithering. If the monster or counter is too specific, you tend to make the encounter fit the counter, instead of finding a fitting counter for the encounter you had already come up with. :-)

Houses or squares (or just corners with different length of straight wall sections) that can be put down to represent anything from a barn to fenced in goat. Maybe a few doors and window markers to put on top of the wall counters.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote