Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Super Battle Suit attempt

Sorry, I meant "Mechanical" not "Technological"

Periodic Recharge up to 24 hours is -5% (Supers p.33)

Again, keep in mind that Semi Ablative is only a valid limitation on the Damage Resistance Advantage, so you cannot use it in a "General Armor" Modifier to save more points on Super Jump etc.

Not being able to touch things through your gadget is normal, and not a limitation. Unless your body suffers from the full effects of the Numb disadvantage, it's not valid as a Temporary Disadvantage.

Instead of TD:Noisy, use Nuisance Effect: Cannot use Stealth, -5%
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:18 AM   #12
smurf
Banned

Yeah slowly getting it now. I was in the process of maxing out and then some big number crunching.

I will do a strong suit, armoured suit and a speed sui.

however, if the hero can only use one suit at a time would it benefit from the 1/5 power reduction for the 2 other cheaper suits?
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:37 AM   #13
Nereidalbel

No, as taking the 1/5 for AA means that if somebody rips your speed suit apart, you can't wear the power or armor suits until you get a new speed one.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #14
Wavefunction

You could however potentially buy them as Alternate Forms, and use that pricing strategy to save a few points. Alternatively, you could have a basic suit template and then use a modified Modular Abilities (Chip Slots) to swap in and out certain abilities, like electro-muscles for mega-plating or veloci-boosters.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
however, if the hero can only use one suit at a time would it benefit from the 1/5 power reduction for the 2 other cheaper suits?
I'd allow it. As I understand it, Limitations on one part of an Alternate Ability set don't have any impact on the other Alternate Abilities - a Gadget gun with multiple firing modes doesn't lose the ability to fire normal shots after using up its Limited Use (Once Daily) nuke. So, you have three different suits, and the one you're wearing dictates what powers you have. It has advantages and disadvantages compared to a single suit doing all three sets as Alternate Abilities - theft or destruction of one suit doesn't invalidate the others, but it's much less convenient to swap out ability sets.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
the_matrix_walker

Alternative Abilities are not just "stuff you can't use at the same time." It represents different settings for the same ability. With that in mind, I don't see how it could be an Alternative Ability. Alternative Attacks are a little more fast an loose... so you could have alternative attacks as different setting for your armaments on a suit, but not for whole suits. Your GM may allow it, but I don't feel it matches a RAW interpretation.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #17
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Alternative Abilities are not just "stuff you can't use at the same time." It represents different settings for the same ability. With that in mind, I don't see how it could be an Alternative Ability. Alternative Attacks are a little more fast an loose... so you could have alternative attacks as different setting for your armaments on a suit, but not for whole suits. Your GM may allow it, but I don't feel it matches a RAW interpretation.
The character has an ability - he becomes Awesome when he puts on his battlesuit. He becomes different degrees and types of Awesome depending on which suit he's wearing at the time.

Personally, I don't think "Your fluff isn't perfectly in line with RAW" should be a reason to deny a given build. Alternative Abilities are special abilities that share a common theme and cannot be used concurrently. I think having an assortment of powered armors qualifies there. At the very least, the character shouldn't be paying as much for, say, three mutually-exclusive suits (one emphasizing strength and DR, one emphasizing speed and special movement modes, and a final one emphasizing stealth) as he would for a single suit that did everything those three did. As I see one suit with those three modes (Alternate Abilities) as being roughly equivalent to having the three suits, Alternate Abilities seems appropriate.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #18
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The character has an ability - he becomes Awesome when he puts on his battlesuit. He becomes different degrees and types of Awesome depending on which suit he's wearing at the time.

Personally, I don't think "Your fluff isn't perfectly in line with RAW" should be a reason to deny a given build. Alternative Abilities are special abilities that share a common theme and cannot be used concurrently. I think having an assortment of powered armors qualifies there. At the very least, the character shouldn't be paying as much for, say, three mutually-exclusive suits (one emphasizing strength and DR, one emphasizing speed and special movement modes, and a final one emphasizing stealth) as he would for a single suit that did everything those three did. As I see one suit with those three modes (Alternate Abilities) as being roughly equivalent to having the three suits, Alternate Abilities seems appropriate.
Well I'm ready to post my first idea. Not sure if modular would be better. Or Morph, it can be tweaked over an hour or so to change the requirement.

I had a basic model. Combat ST, Speed, Stealth and the Defence mode.

IMO it is the same cradle to pilot them just in different shells. May need more number crunching lol.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #19
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Well I'm ready to post my first idea. Not sure if modular would be better. Or Morph, it can be tweaked over an hour or so to change the requirement.

I had a basic model. Combat ST, Speed, Stealth and the Defence mode.

IMO it is the same cradle to pilot them just in different shells. May need more number crunching lol.
Go with Alternative Form and Takes Extra Time, to represent taking a while to swap out suits. This way, you only pay 90% of the cost of the most expensive suit, and each suit after that only costs 15 points, minus the discount for Takes Extra Time.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #20
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Go with Alternative Form and Takes Extra Time, to represent taking a while to swap out suits. This way, you only pay 90% of the cost of the most expensive suit, and each suit after that only costs 15 points, minus the discount for Takes Extra Time.
He'll need Non-Reciprocal Damage as well, but dedicated to the suit, not his body.

Tags
breakable