Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #41
Mailanka

Default Re: other potential ATE, DF, MH OR Action series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Follow the link in his Sig for his webpage, then the GURPS Link and then the Space Opera Link.
You'll find Space Opera template (a la Action); as well as Military Templates, Lenses and Loadouts.
They're an excellent resource, they seem to cover the basics pretty well. They don't cover everything - but they never could (look at how many additional DF templates have been released in later volumes, Pyramid, and personal webpages!)
That's really more for G-verse, which is a very different beast. I actually have four different space operas that I'm juggling. G-verse is your "GURPS Action IN SPAAAAAAACE" setting with deep politics, espionage, military sci-fi and feels like a cross between Aliens and Mass Effect and Revelation Space. Resplendent Star Empire is being folded into Protocols of the Dark Engine, and is your really epic space opera. It's vast ships and galactic politics and light-saber duels: Star Wars meets Dune meets Warhamer 40k meets every shonen anime ever.

Then there's this project which, as I've mentioned, is more FTL meets Masters of Orion 2 meets Star Trek meets Farscape.

I just haven't had time to finish any of these because of work and school and moving and divorces and other GURPS campaigns (Cherry Blossom Rain! Which numerous people have also asked for the notes on, but I've been unable to produce them).

Like I said, today is my last day with school and the rest has settled down, so I'd like this to be the Summer of Writing GURPS **** Down. I might even produce a Pyramid article or two.

Last edited by Mailanka; 07-03-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #42
b-dog

I would love to see a Cabal series with the PCs playing vampires, werewolves, wizards, ghosts and faerie just like the World of Darkness. Maybe also throw in some Cthulhu stuff there as well.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #43
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I would love to see a Cabal series with the PCs playing vampires, werewolves, wizards, ghosts and faerie just like the World of Darkness. Maybe also throw in some Cthulhu stuff there as well.
Seconded! As the Cabal is part of the Infinate World's setting, a Cabal setting with details on the Cabal viewpoint and how they see the multiverse, would be both grand in and of itself and good for the IW line. (And the IW line needs developement too).

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #44
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post

Like I said, today is my last day with school and the rest has settled down, so I'd like this to be the Summer of Writing GURPS **** Down. I might even produce a Pyramid article or two.
Well the Pyramid Space issue was one of the two that did not get pulled so may still be accepting submissions. I have a submission there that would work for any of the Space stuff and was even used in a TL 3? game.

Your science problem could be resolved using BAD with a list of modifiers for various terms. Tat helps with the mechanics and a stuck player but really the solution is creative players. If another player then the Science guy is the creative type there is precedent for that too. Farscapes guy made suggestions that others made work. Eureka is an even funner example, he typically came up with the idea but someone else had to build it.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:54 AM   #45
lachimba

Im interested by the idea of a Space Opera type version of DF, Action, MH. I make no claim on it being viable enough as an actual book or not, but its worth even doing some unofficial work.

My thoughts in terms of outline 3 books

Book 1 Characters

My thoughts are that templates in a space opera arent so much occupations as roles. So Han Solo, Mal and any of the star trek captains all have a captain lens, but Han and Mal are scoundrels with the captain lens and the captains of star trek have little in common with them.

Equally all the vulcans in star trek are distinctly alien, whether or not they are a captain, science officer or whatever their character concept is defined by their race.

So we end up with something like

Lens: captain, security, pilot, engineer, etc

Templates, Alien (including robots), scoundrel, soldier, gadgeteer/techo, mystic, rookie etc

A treatment of equipment from space/ultratech type books that gives some ground on having tl range from 10-12

Finally a guide to plugging into GURPS Spaceships giving some guide on cooperatively designing the PC spaceship and crew

Book 2

Basically the same as all the other #2 books, but focussing on dealing with things like gravity, pressure in a more cinematic way than Basic Set.

Book 3

Aliens and alien worlds

Not all space opera has aliens or even other cultures, so we are already getting into the more optional books here.

I would kind of treat this as the adversary book of the series, but with a touch of something like treasure tables.

It needs to have a guide on cooking up aliens and planets to visit either for the weekly episode or more long term.

Im thinking a section covering non sentinent aliens with no point cost, but appropriate trait list so you can move through a page or two to get your giant spider with wings on a 'light' gravity world with 'heavy' atmosphere.

Along with tables and guides for NPC/PC races on the fly.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:59 AM   #46
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I look at this as more of *a* (potentially large) book like Madness Dosier than something that merits the #1-3/4 series. Its more of a suplement/ update to GURPS Horror/Cabal
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dungeon fantasy, monster hunters