Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2014, 04:32 AM   #11
Daigoro

Default Re: [ACTION] Gangsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I seriously doubt that a crew would require an assassin (gangs beat people up and shoot them in the face; they rarely use garrotes, poisons, and rooftop snipers), a hacker (totally different and unrelated kind of crime)
Sons of Anarchy could almost be the template for this kind of game, and they had an assassin/enforcer, Trig, their Sergeant-at-Arms, and a hacker, Juice, although that aspect of his character fell by the way later on. They may not be up to the level of a GURPS template, but they filled those roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
One of the reasons that gangsters classically own restaurants, pizza places etc is they do a lot of cash business. This lets you turn illegal cash into legal cash via fake customers. So thats another thing they'll want to aquire as they get bigger, ways to launder money.
And tattoo parlours- "Yeah, I did a $7000 tattoo last night, nudge nudge."

ETA: Re-reading Kromm's post, I guess Trig is probably a shooter.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 02-25-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: [ACTION] Gangsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post

[...] a hacker, Juice, although that aspect of his character fell by the way later on.
That level of "hacker" is more like an investigator whose skill picks include Accounting, Administration, Computer Operation, Cryptography, Current Affairs (Science and Technology), Electronics Operation (Surveillance), Research, and Speed-Reading. You can do that with the vanilla investigator template. The hacker template is for the cinematic geek god who can devise a military-grade cipher in 10 minutes and build a computer from chips and solder in an hour; these are standard features of the vanilla hacker template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post

Re-reading Kromm's post, I guess Trig is probably a shooter.
Most gang "assassins" are. The assassin is modeled on someone akin to Léon from the movie of the same name, who's basically a ninja with a sniper rifle.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, campaign types