Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Wizard question

Wizard rulebook page 4: "The number of spells a wizard knows is equal to his IQ."

And on page 22 it is possible to add to basic IQ. When a wizard adds a point of IQ does he automatically gain a new spell? (One assumes that the Aid spell doesn't grant new spells, I guess?)

I note that the Confusion spell in the WSRB page one specially blocks rather that removes spells so I suspect that Aid doesn't add any.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Wizard question

A good question; I would say in Wizard 'yes', in ITL, 'no'.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Terquem

I suppose it could all hing on how you interpret "knowledge of spells"

Do wizards know spells because they learn them, studied, had an apprentice period where they carried buckets of water for days until they were told the secret handshake?

Or, do wizards know spells because some "other worldly power" grants them the knowledge of the spell's mysteries.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
hcobb

The related question for ITL is if I wore a +4 IQ amulet for nine months could I learn the Spellsniffer spell? If I took the amulet off afterwards I would still know the spell, just be unable to cast it unless my IQ was Aided back up or something.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
amenditman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The related question for ITL is if I wore a +4 IQ amulet for nine months could I learn the Spellsniffer spell? If I took the amulet off afterwards I would still know the spell, just be unable to cast it unless my IQ was Aided back up or something.
Great idea. Boost IQ to learn stuff before hand.
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Skarg

I like the old Advanced Wizard rules for learning spells (i.e. that it requires a source to learn the spell from, and the specific source & method (as well as your IQ and the spell's IQ requirement) affects the time required to learn it). And I like the nice new spell familiarity penalty as well. As GM I'll keep using such rules. In that context, even if you don't have an Increase IQ item (which tend not to be available much if at all in my campaigns), I would tend to allow at least some amount of study of spells even if you don't have the IQ for them, even if you won't be able to actually master the spell until/unless you do.

In the new RAW system, I suspect the answer would simply be "no", but as it's not specified, the answer might be yes, but it'd still require the 500 XP per learning point, for a spell you won't be able to use without that item or an Aid spell.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
And I like the nice new spell familiarity penalty as well.
To what does this refer?
Old 11-18-2018, 11:12 PM   #8
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
To what does this refer?
Oh, it's an old rule from Advanced Wizard, for spells new to a wizard that has learned the spell from an apprenticeship or from studying a book (as opposed to getting instruction, where for a month after you learn the spell, you have a -2 DX familiarity penalty with the new spell.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #9
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Oh, it's an old rule from Advanced Wizard, for spells new to a wizard that has learned the spell from an apprenticeship or from studying a book (as opposed to getting instruction, where for a month after you learn the spell, you have a -2 DX familiarity penalty with the new spell.
Oh. I see why I was confused. Thanks.