Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Shadekeep

Default Your vote on next supplement book

I have finished the majority of the work on The Book of Unlife and am now implementing improvements from the reviewers and playtesters. I am eager to start work on the next supplement and would like to solicit your input on which of these books most interests you:

The Book of Uncommon Beings

This includes the new subraces from my speciation thread here, plus the titan slimes from another thread, and new animals, plants, and fungi which have not yet been disclosed. The adventure module takes place on an archipelago where several of the new entities can be encountered, and the players will face different challenges on the various islands while working towards a final confrontation that threatens them all.

The Book of Lost Places

This is a gazetteer of remote and isolated places and communities, and the unique peoples and lifeforms that dwell there. New weapons, talents, and spells will likely be introduced from these distant lands as well. The adventure module centers on an isolated desert civilisation torn by internal strife, as a group of freedom fighters wage a guerilla campaign against the ruling priest class, their undead archon, and his horrifying magical automata.

The Book of Demonology

This book idea developed out of discussions in the demon thread and is something I am in the early stages of planning. The book will draw on historic demon lore and iconography to give players a panoply (or rather, a pandemonium) of greater and lesser demons to call up, each with their own natures and abilities. There will also be additional material relating to the demonic underworld, and possibly about those forces arrayed against them. The adventure module hasn't been formulated yet, but as with all these supplements it will draw heavily on the guidebook material.

Thanks for your feedback!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
amenditman

Default Re: Your vote on next supplement book

I like the Uncommon Beings
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
TippetsTX

These all sound great, I'd have to vote for the Book of Uncommon Beings as well.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
Shadekeep

Thank you both for the votes so far. Uncommon Beings is the next in the pipeline at the moment, as I have the most work done on that and the illustrator lined up. If that remains the favourite then it will be the one I work on next.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Skarg

They all sound really good. Uncommon Beings sounds most widely/easily usable by the most GMs, since presumably they could easily pick and choose some none or all to add to their campaigns.

Lost Places sounds most interesting to me, as making and exploring campaign worlds with interesting places that offer diverse challenges and opportunities has always been one of my favorite things about campaign play.

Demonology seems least interesting to me personally, but I think you'd do a great job on it and would still be useful/interesting.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
Shadekeep

Much ta, and yes, Uncommon Beings is the easiest to use a la carte. Lost Places is a bit more cyclopedic, at least with regards to each place, though one could transplant individual elements if desired. Demonology is positively holistic, with everything pretty tightly interwoven, though again a clever GM could tease threads out for individual use.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
JLV

Just to be contrarian, I have to say The Book of Lost Places actually sounds the most interesting to me... Though I'll agree that any of them would be fine.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:34 AM   #8
Shadekeep

Thanks, and Lost Places is definitely on my schedule as well. The only iffy one so far is Demonology, which will depend on whether or not I have a flash of inspiration about how to handle that one.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #9
Todd Roll

All sound good. I would put Uncommon Beings slightly ahead of Lost Places.
Todd Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #10
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Thanks, and Lost Places is definitely on my schedule as well. The only iffy one so far is Demonology, which will depend on whether or not I have a flash of inspiration about how to handle that one.
Well, either you or someone else already mentioned using the Key of Solomon as a basic source for unique demons, and frankly that sounds like an excellent idea. Of course, you might have to spend some time figuring out how Summonings and Pentagrams *really* work... But again, someone mentioned rituals elsewhere and that might be a great paradigm for several of the existing TFT spells which would make the whole idea of summoning Demons and dealing with enchantments a whole lot more intriguing than the existing "I spend X ST and BAM, there's a Pentagon instantaneously there (no chalk, candles or string required)" system currently in use...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote