Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Apollonian

Default Infinite Worlds... of the Cabal!

Has anyone run an Infinite Worlds campaign centering on a Cabalist group of PCs? I'm thinking of porting my current (on hiatus) Cabal campaign into the Infinite Worlds, and wondering if what other players' experiences were like.

Right now, I'm looking at most of the conflict being between competing cross-time lodges, with a healthy dose of vile Nazis, technocratic Interworld agents, and alternately idealistic and perfidious Infinity Patrolmen. Haven't settled on any particular cross-time travel mechanic for the PCs, though... or a core activity for them to latch on to. Ideas?

(Also, if we could just leave any discussion of Infinity Unlimited's morality at the door, that'd be great. I want to keep all the dead horses in this game in my PC necromancer's hands...)
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Infinite Worlds... of the Cabal!

I have been doing this for nearly eight years. I didn't want to run a game where the characters developed into evil masterminds competing with, and backstabbing, each other. So I came up with a Cabal lodge based in a world where it's currently the early 1720s, based in the Royal Society of London, of which Isaac Newton is the Grand Master. This version of Newton's occult researches were substantially more successful than on Homeline, so when the Cabal showed up the Royal Society became a lodge.

The PCs started as a group formed by the Society to explore the Infinite Worlds and learn how they worked. Their basic means of interworld travel is opening a gate to the Astral Plane, walking across it to a new world, and gating down into it. Of the five PCs, two can do this with spells, one with an artifact that has plot implications, one via psionics, and one via a complex magical device that he built himself.

Their adventures have been too numerous to summarise, but have mostly been exploring and diplomacy, with a limited amount of combat. The campaign log, which is written by one of the players in character is here.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
Astromancer

To do it right you'd need to think about how the Cabalists think of and order their multiverse. Quantums would be out. Affinities would be more likely.

Example: Take "Iron" as a metaphor. A world with an "Iron Affinity" could be high-tech or militaristic, since Iron is associated with Mars, energy and athleticism are also suggested.

Given what we know of the Cabal, I assume they'd describe their affinities in terms of decans. These are fully described in the Cabal book and touched on in Thaumotology.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Their manipulations of time lines could be to alter such affinities. They could appear to be causing horrible havoc for no reason, but really just be trying to avert a major death or other "negative" aspect-ing. Or weirdly the reverse for the PCs' adversaries.