Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #41
Cowrie

Default Re: Making elves for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
It's almost a variation on Possession, too.
I suppose that it could be if you lump the glamour stuff in with the memory-related stuff. However, assuming the glamour has other uses, I'd peg that as one or more separate advantages.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #42
Astromancer

If you have GURPS: Wildcards, a character in that book had the advantage all worked out. Basically, the dead have no mind shield or will to resist, so telepathy mind probes and telescan covers it all.

Still Racial Memory (Limitation, Only those you have eaten) seens viable.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #43
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
If you have GURPS: Wildcards, a character in that book had the advantage all worked out. Basically, the dead have no mind shield or will to resist, so telepathy mind probes and telescan covers it all.
The dead are also mindless, so there's no mind to probe or scan, any more than there is in a chair or table.

That said, having them with the limitation 'only on the recently dead' and 'only when eating the target's brains' would work represent the effect. However, reading someone's mind doesn't make their memories your own, which would seem to be the goal.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #44
David Johnston2

Quote:

Still Racial Memory (Limitation, Only those you have eaten) seens viable.
It wouldn't really be a limitation since Racial Memory can't normally do that It's just a redefinition of what qualifies as an "ancestor".
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #45
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
The dead are also mindless, so there's no mind to probe or scan, any more than there is in a chair or table.

That said, having them with the limitation 'only on the recently dead' and 'only when eating the target's brains' would work represent the effect. However, reading someone's mind doesn't make their memories your own, which would seem to be the goal.
Add Time Spanning to your Mind Probe and Retains Memory or perhaps some enhancements for Possession applied to Mind Reading and Probe.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #46
AlexanderHowl

Or it could be a Nuisance Effect of Modular Abilities or Psychometry, especially if it came with Temporary Disadvantage, Split Personality.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #47
Astromancer

Does anyone create noble wise elves anymore? Or does that get you in trouble with the Tolkien estate?

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #48
Vaevictis Asmadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It wouldn't really be a limitation since Racial Memory can't normally do that It's just a redefinition of what qualifies as an "ancestor".
I think you're right. In Powers, using Racial Memory for just the personal memories of one very long-lived person, also doesn't affect the point cost.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #49
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Does anyone create noble wise elves anymore? Or does that get you in trouble with the Tolkien estate?
Noble, wise, perfect in nearly every way elves are rather boring and heavily classist. I don't think they appeal to modern audiences, for the most part. They may work as adversaries in a common underprivileged people rising up motif, but that's probably not what you meant.
As to Tolkein, I feel that they were altered a bit for the movies. There they were no wiser as a species than anyone else. But boy did they have the arrogance of stereotypical royalty.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #50
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Noble, wise, perfect in nearly every way elves are rather boring and heavily classist. I don't think they appeal to modern audiences, for the most part. They may work as adversaries in a common underprivileged people rising up motif, but that's probably not what you meant.
As to Tolkein, I feel that they were altered a bit for the movies. There they were no wiser as a species than anyone else. But boy did they have the arrogance of stereotypical royalty.
Of course if you read the Silmarillion or the Hobbit you won't note the elves being markedly noble and wise. The wisdom and nobility of LOTR elves is a trait of the individual elves allowed center stage rather than something innate to the breed.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote