Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
Wayne

Default FAQ Forum (or two?)

Hi,

Now that the Errata phase is winding down it would be nice if there was an FAQ forum (possibly two - one for questions that anyone could use to pose a question and a locked down one for the answers).

Just a thought…

Wayne
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
ecz

Default Re: FAQ Forum (or two?)

I second this request, we really need a place where simple questions have simple answers from a "resident expert" that officially enlights us how some rules should be read. Even a yes/no answer is better than nothing and is perfect in most cases.

Once again (just to make things clear and prevent unnecessary objections) the intent is NOT transform the simple philosophy and style of In The Labirinth in something good for rule lawyers, we want be sure how the existant rules are supposed to work.

Everyone agrees they are well written, brilliant, innovative ( for the late seventies ), but as ANY rules manual of ANY complex game is unavoidable there are here and there ambiguities and points not exactly crystal clear. This is true for new ITL too.
Hence the need of someone that - once for ever - says something definitive, at least in the soft form of suggestion or clarification.

I cannot wait to finally have this place after 35 years.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
Wayne

Default Re: FAQ Forum (or two?)

Quoting myself from a forum that has disintegrated into a personal opinion hell:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Actually like the poor dog in Proverbs 26:11, I really think this needs to be printed in black and white in the rules.

From the ITL manual:
  1. IQ slots no longer count for anything other than creating a new character. There is no mention of IQ Slots in the rules.
  2. Somewhere around a total of 36 or 37 stat points, most players will choose to start learning new abilities instead of buying higher stats. I think this implies that prior to 36 or 37 an extra talent or spell comes with each IQ point added.

I'm not arguing that I'm right and your wrong, what I would like in the printed rules (in the forums doesn't count) is clear statement:

Experience points can be spent in several ways:
• To improve your basic stats: ST, DX, or IQ. This will improve all talents and saving rolls associated with that stat, but it become expensive at high levels. Note that adding an extra IQ point does not automatically entitle the figure to another spell or talent.

OR

Experience points can be spent in several ways:
• To improve your basic stats: ST, DX, or IQ. This will improve all talents and saving rolls associated with that stat, but it become expensive at high levels. Note that adding an extra IQ point does allow the figure to obtain another spell or talent.
OR

Something else?

I have no agenda, I only want clarification please.

Thanks,

Wayne

Last edited by Wayne; 10-04-2018 at 05:45 AM. Reason: clarification requested
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote