Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
RobW

Default Re: Snow White and the ever diminishing dwarves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ITL p.26 "This staff is immune to Drop Weapon and Break Weapon spells and critical failures."

You can't get the staff out of Grumpy's greedy hands with magic?
Agree.

It would be quite scary if Grumpy could manage to roll/shimmy or somehow come up with a way to move 1 hex a turn even while ROPE'd. The staff of power would slowly but surely approach, waving around furiously as Grumpy flops and thrashes, fish-like, towards you.

RUN!

RUN!!!
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #12
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Agree.

It would be quite scary if Grumpy could manage to roll/shimmy or somehow come up with a way to move 1 hex a turn even while ROPE'd. The staff of power would slowly but surely approach, waving around furiously as Grumpy flops and thrashes, fish-like, towards you.

RUN!

RUN!!!
Grumpy's adjDX without the rope is 0. The turn the Rope hits him, it drops to -2. He's not going anywhere. GM ruled that with adjDX that low he's not even allowed to roll...

(When I ran the combat with Grumpy vs. "#1 the fighter with bow and spear" I miscalculated the moves once, and Grumpy made it to 2 hexes from #1. I ruled that #1 took the 1d damage from the occult blast. So I was trying to be as fair as possible. When Grumpy the 'wizard' piled down with metal gets tied up and falls over, he's not going anywhere. Draziw could have used multiple castings of Magic Fist to knock Grumpy into the bottomless pit; and I think I erred in giving Draziw the Open Tunnel spell, as he doesn't -- quite -- have enough ST to cast it. But it stands...)

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
platimus

I know this isn't in the description for the Rope spell, but what if the players wanted to use the rope to cross a chasm? I assume most would allow that. This of course involves commanding one end of the rope to bind to something on the other side of the chasm...

...so what if the players wanted to use rope to wrestle the staff from Grumpy's hands?
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #14
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I know this isn't in the description for the Rope spell, but what if the players wanted to use the rope to cross a chasm? I assume most would allow that. This of course involves commanding one end of the rope to bind to something on the other side of the chasm...

...so what if the players wanted to use rope to wrestle the staff from Grumpy's hands?
Ooo. +1d of difficulty to hit the staff (unless Grumpy is doing something silly like Defending with his staff...), and if it hits, make a 3/ST vs. 3/ST contest. If the player wins, Grumpy loses hold of the staff. If the player crit wins, the staff flies out of Grumpy's hands... and someone has to dodge it, or take the damage for being the fool who touches a wizard's Staff!

Rope is a Creation spell, though, and can only be created within the caster's "megahex of megahexes", meaning the caster's megahex or any megahex touching it. If the other end of the chasm is within that range, then sure! If not... I don't know? +1d of difficulty per additional megahex?

Last edited by Chris Goodwin; 10-02-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
Ooo. +1d of difficulty to hit the staff, and if it hits, make a 3/ST vs. 3/ST contest. If the player wins, Grumpy loses hold of the staff. If the player crit wins, the staff flies out of Grumpy's hands... and someone has to dodge it, or take the damage for being the fool who touches a wizard's Staff!

Rope is a Creation spell, though, and can only be created within the caster's "megahex of megahexes", meaning the caster's megahex or any megahex touching it. If the other end of the chasm is within that range, then sure! If not... I don't know? +1d of difficulty per additional megahex?
Thanks for entertaining the notion. While I waited, I read the following about Bolas and Lassos...

If the bola hits...Arms: The victim will drop his/her weapon(s), and will not
be able to pick them up for the next two turns, while his/her
arms are entangled. The entangled figure may move normally

If a human or humanoid target is lassoed, the lasso may
go for the neck (doing 1d+2 damage), either arm (causing
whatever is being held to be dropped, but doing no damage),
Old 10-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #16
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Thanks for entertaining the notion. While I waited, I read the following about Bolas and Lassos...

If the bola hits...Arms: The victim will drop his/her weapon(s), and will not
be able to pick them up for the next two turns, while his/her
arms are entangled. The entangled figure may move normally

If a human or humanoid target is lassoed, the lasso may
go for the neck (doing 1d+2 damage), either arm (causing
whatever is being held to be dropped, but doing no damage),
Hmm. Maybe if the caster has the Bola and/or Lasso talents, they can use the Rope spell as a bola (without the damage) and/or lasso. In this case, treat the Rope spell as a Thrown spell rather than a Creation spell. Maybe also when using it to cross the chasm.

Edit: Ooo. Rope-like objects, including bolas, can be enchanted with the Rope spell!

Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #17
platimus

Actually, I was thinking to skip the Rope spell and just use the bola. Lasso would be second option.

NOTE: The bola doesn't suffer from any -DX modifier for aiming at the arm according to the RAW.

Last edited by platimus; 10-02-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:24 PM   #18
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking to skip the Rope spell and just use the bola. Lasso would be second option.
Oh, heh. Wires crossed and all. Still, new house rules!

Old 10-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #19
JLV

See SJ's new staff rules over on the other forum. It changes the premises of much of this discussion...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #20
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
See SJ's new staff rules over on the other forum. It changes the premises of much of this discussion...
That it does. Might almost make it worth gaming it out again.

Did you ever play Gauntlet Legends (video game)? In that game, every so often you encounter Death, who makes a beeline for you and has this automatic persistent life drain attack. That's what it felt like fighting Grumpy with the auto-hit free-action occult blast attack.