Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default [Basic] Skill of the week: Shadowing

Shadowing is the IQ/Average ability to shadow someone: to follow them through an urban environment, including crowds, without being spotted. In a non-urban environment, you use Tracking and Stealth. The defaults are IQ-5, Observation-5, or Stealth -4 if you're on foot. If you're travelling some other way, roll at -2, and you can't use the Stealth default. The only skill with a default to Shadowing is Observation. The skill appeared at GURPS 1e.

To shadow someone, roll a Quick Contest every ten minutes between Shadowing and the target's Vision. If you win, you keep shadowing him. If you lose, you lose the target; if you lose by a margin of 5+, you are spotted (but presumably have not lost the target). Once you are spotted, roll a Quick Contest every five minutes between Shadowing and the target's Shadowing or Stealth. If you lose, you lose the target. If you win by a margin of 5+, the target thinks they've lost you. If you critically fail, you lose the target and follow someone else.

Presumably, the target's Vision could be replaced by some other long-range and precise sense if they had it. Shadowing someone who has such a sense, if you don't have it, sounds pretty hopeless, -10 to your skill. Presumably, a target who has spotted you doesn't have to try to get away: they may be happy to just lead you somewhere.

There are lots of modifiers, mostly connected with the ease of the target recognising you. You're at -3 if they actually know you, and there are penalties for being Skinny, Overweight or (Very) Fat, for Dwarfism, Gigantism, Unnatural Features, and Hunchback, and conditional bonuses for Discriminatory Hearing. Several of these penalties become bonuses if the target has them. The target gets bonuses to detect Shadowing from 360-degree vision, and Peripheral Vision.

It seems plausible that you could get equipment bonuses to shadowing, for things like swiftly reversible coats, a selection of different crushable hats and other things that let you change obvious features of your appearance very quickly. This does have the downside that the target will be certain they're being shadowed once you are spotted.

Shadowing is a significant skill on templates for spies, counter-spies, investigators, thieves and assassins. Action gives an extra use to Shadowing, for merging into a crowd, and clarifies the rules on Shadowing someone in a car, and on getting close enough for watching, or listening. AtE warns that Freakishness is bad for this skill. DF scouts and thieves use Shadowing, for trailing monsters back to lairs, and ninja and assassins for more conventional purposes; manuals are available at high prices. Fantasy has templates that treat Shadowing as an alternative to Stealth, and Horror has journalists and slayers that use it. Mysteries reckons that Shadowing works best using a team, but doesn't give rules apart from "Roll once, for the worst skill". There are perks, talents, quirks and wildcard skills for Shadowing in the Power-Ups series. Powers gives bonuses for use of Warp, and Enhanced Senses and The Weird have several abilities that boost the skill, or help counter it. Social Engineering reminds us that social skills can create invaluable distractions, and Tactical Shooting lets you use it for ambushes. Ritual Path Magic has a ritual that makes your nature obvious, giving -3 to Shadowing, Ultra-Tech has hearing boosters that help with the skill ... and moaning Zombies are easy to Shadow.

Fredrick Forsyth's novel The Fourth Protocol has some fine examples of team shadowing, by a fictional MI5's "Watchers." The Mysteries rules do simplify things, but that book is from 2008, and we have a few more tools these days. To make a group of people into a team, we could have a "Shadowing Team" perk, a bit like Battle Drills or Teamwork. That lets them work in a coordinated way without a need for much communication. With that, you could use something like the abstract rules for Tactics on p60 of Martial Arts, with the leader of the shadowing team using Leadership in place of Tactics, in a contest against whatever skill (if any) the target is using for evasion. If the shadowing leader wins, they get rerolls equal to their margin of success to be used by the team. This mostly represents assigning the right team members to brief periods of shadowing, usually peeling off within 10-20 minutes to be replaced by someone else. Does that make sense?

My main encounter with this skill was as a victim -- at the start. In the Elizabethan M:tA campaign, my character noticed he was being followed while out on his own in London. Hmm ... I'm a fairly dangerous target. I bet that shadow has another man following him to report back if he has problems. Let's lead them round a few blocks and see if I can catch No.2. It worked. I have no idea if No.2 existed before I mentioned him to the GM, but it made sense, and he was there. If we were followed after that, it must have been by someone much more skilful.

Where has this skill led you?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
RogerBW

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Shadowing

I think the "be seen on a failure by 5+" is meant to reflect the situation one sees in film: A is following B, A loses track and hurries on to try to catch up, B spots A bursting out of the crowd/alley/whatever.

I think it's a shame the two aspects (keep track of someone, don't be noticed) are conjoined. I think I might try a three-way contest of skills: Shadowing vs Shadowing or Stealth to keep track of the target, Shadowing vs Vision to avoid being seen, using the same Shadowing roll for both comparisons. As things stand, you don't get the situation where B spots A but A doesn't know that it's happened, so B can lead A into a trap.

Similarly I'd be inclined to use an appropriate vehicle skill as a Complementary Skill for tailing by car, motorcycle, etc.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Mithlas

A similar example is given in Shadowrun 5E short fiction where a triad stooge follows the viewpoint shadowrunner, and when the runner stops moving to scope his surroundings notices the stooge (a heavyset man with a probable bullet-resistant vest under his suit) fail his Shadowing by pausing to examine the first available storefront - baby strollers.

Some examples, tricks or techniques to lose or alternately pick (back) up a character you're being followed by (or following) could help expand the skill. I can't think of any at the moment.
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
I think it's a shame the two aspects (keep track of someone, don't be noticed) are conjoined. I think I might try a three-way contest of skills: Shadowing vs Shadowing or Stealth to keep track of the target, Shadowing vs Vision to avoid being seen, using the same Shadowing roll for both comparisons. As things stand, you don't get the situation where B spots A but A doesn't know that it's happened, so B can lead A into a trap.
It'd be nice if there was a mechanism where you can lean one way or the other: -2 to the "follow" roll in exchange for +2 on the "not noticed" roll. or vice versa.

If you use a mechanism like that it interacts strangely with quick contests. I think... maybe there is a way. hmm.

Also, what happens if someone doesn't know of a specific tail but wants to loose anyone who might be following? what roll is that? streetwise?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
jason taylor

I actually had this be a high-demand skill for personal servants. A gentle has duties other then keeping an eye in back such as keeping up his family's negotiations while not getting to drunk in the process. But no one watches servants except those who know who would only be from those who have Cultural Familiarity. Thus a valet who makes a spy can signal his principal.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
I think the "be seen on a failure by 5+" is meant to reflect the situation one sees in film: A is following B, A loses track and hurries on to try to catch up, B spots A bursting out of the crowd/alley/whatever.

This is one of the reasons I long ago dropped Shadowing as a skill and replaced it with Observation and Stealth.

Following tracks - Tracking.
Visually following someone - Observation and Stealth.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #7
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
This is one of the reasons I long ago dropped Shadowing as a skill and replaced it with Observation and Stealth.

Following tracks - Tracking.
Visually following someone - Observation and Stealth.
I like that idea! In some types of campaigns, it would be helpful to do it that way.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

On reflection, it seems clear that Area Knowledge is a possible complementary skill for Shadowing.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
Ulzgoroth

I agree with RogerBW about it being a shame that the thing is conjoined, but I don't think sidelining Shadowing in favor of other skills is a great idea - It's not clear Stealth properly covers blending into crowds at all, and while Observation does somewhat fuzzily include not being obvious about your surveillance, the the need to keep track of a moving subject without arousing suspicion places unique demands. If you did insist on eliminating the skill, there almost certainly should be a Technique involved.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
On reflection, it seems clear that Area Knowledge is a possible complementary skill for Shadowing.
Very much so. Probably also Disguise - while you don't have time for a 30-minute good disguise during the hunt, I think it's still the right skill for cleverly arranging layers and accessories that can be swapped to make you harder for your mark to notice as the same person who was around a few blocks earlier.

Tags
basic, shadowing, skill of the week