Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
Sapplication14

Default Expansion Help!

Okay I recently purchased the actual copy of Munchkins(original) and I have some questions regarding expansions! Okay I've read so many posts saying don't get 7, don't get this first, don't get that first. I'm begging someone please help. Do I buy all expansions at the same time and have a 1000+ deck, or do I use 1 expansion at a time, or what?!?? And does it not make it balanced??
Sapplication14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
Rev1L

Default Re: Expansion Help!

I'd encourage just getting them in order somewhat gradually. That way you get a chance to get to know and enjoy the expansions plus learn the different classes, races, & rules that get added into the game. Munchkin 2 & 3 for the most part add similar changes so it may be worth getting both at the same time.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Solelron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapplication14 View Post
Okay I recently purchased the actual copy of Munchkins(original) and I have some questions regarding expansions! Okay I've read so many posts saying don't get 7, don't get this first, don't get that first. I'm begging someone please help. Do I buy all expansions at the same time and have a 1000+ deck, or do I use 1 expansion at a time, or what?!?? And does it not make it balanced??
This is a great question, and every answer you are going to get will be a bit different, but I'll try to give you a fairly balanced answer.

Expansions 2-5 and 8 are what I would probably call 'core' expansions. They generally add a new race/class or a new mechanic, such as steeds. individually these all work fairly well, and can possibly be purchased really in any order, but bare in mind that as you go through the expansions, each one will add onto the others.

6 (demented dungeons) is a separate entity entirely, as it adds a new deck, new mechanic, and has specific instructions for setting it up blended into the rest of your set. I would get this one after you get the others listed above.

7 is specifically designed for when you are adding LOTS of decks together, be it lots of fantasy cards or multiple sets. While I do keep mine combined with my fantasy cards, this is one that is not required unless you are always playing with everything else.

Also remember all of the finfoil packs, which add micro amounts of different flavors to your decks.

I hope this helps a bit.

-Jason
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
I suggest buying one small booster expansion at a time to start. Play three or four times with what you own before shuffling in another set, that way you can learn as you go and the new cards are more rewarding over time.

Throwing too much in at once may dilute the experience a little since it will take so long to cycle through all of the cards.

Another suggestion: Don't put everything you own in the same set. Build different sets and then you can keep opponents on their toes.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Sirskipptillion

Default Question About Expansions and Boosters

I recently got my own Munchkin deck after being a long time fan, specifically I have the Special Holiday Edition, which comes with what I think is a vanilla munchkin deck, as well as the Waiting for Santa expansion. I was wondering what the difference between boosters, deluxe sets and the various core sets was? And, if I were to purchase a couple expansion type things, how I would mix them with my current deck, and whether that would lead to me ending up with a bunch of copies of the vanilla deck with some "flavored" cards mixed in?
Sirskipptillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #6
Sapplication14

Dear Philreed, Explain booster packs? And how do i keep my opponets on their toes? We all have the chance of getting the same cards(no smartass comment intended) and we dont build sets? Im so confused
Sapplication14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirskipptillion View Post
I recently got my own Munchkin deck after being a long time fan, specifically I have the Special Holiday Edition, which comes with what I think is a vanilla munchkin deck, as well as the Waiting for Santa expansion. I was wondering what the difference between boosters, deluxe sets and the various core sets was? And, if I were to purchase a couple expansion type things, how I would mix them with my current deck, and whether that would lead to me ending up with a bunch of copies of the vanilla deck with some "flavored" cards mixed in?
Quote:
Dear Philreed, Explain booster packs? And how do i keep my opponets on their toes? We all have the chance of getting the same cards(no smartass comment intended) and we dont build sets? Im so confused
I merged these threads because they're asking different versions of the same thing.

If you're looking to add to your Munchkin game (thank you!), there are a few different approaches you can try, and you can mix and match among them.

1. Expand the game you have.

Most Munchkin sets have at least one numbered expansion, such as Munchkin 2 - Unnatural Axe. These provide a few dozen new cards that you can shuffle into your existing set. Many of these numbered expansions also have a new play option: a new Class or Race, for instance.

We also offer 15- to 30-card "booster packs," which are either in loose foil packs or in a cardboard-backed blister, depending on the age of the set. Most of these are fantasy-themed, so designed to work with the original brown-backed Munchkin game, but we do have some for other sets such as Star Munchkin and Munchkin Apocalypse. Most of these sets are intended to add a little bit of flavor to a game you already have for a low added cost.

Some of the boosters that have gone out of print are collected in Munchkin Holiday Surprise (which has the first four Christmas-themed boosters in a single box) and Munchkin Game Changers (which has four boosters that each take a different approach to changing how Munchkin plays).

2. Get a new game.

You can also try an entirely new variety of Munchkin, such as Munchkin Zombies or Super Munchkin. These are full, complete games on their own. Most of them also play nicely when mixed with one another, so if you wanted to try steampunk cowboys, you can mix Munchkin Steampunk with The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin for a steam-powered Wild West game.

3. Add swag.

We have produced a few (no, a lot) of accessory products to add to your Munchkin game. None of these are required, but if you are the kind of player who likes more things in your card game than just cards, they're available. If you want more cards, I'd go with one of the first two options for now and come back to the accessories later if you want.

To answer the question about keeping your opponents on their toes, I think Phil was suggesting that if you have more than one game, especially more than one fantasy-themed game (Munchkin, Munchkin Conan, Munchkin Legends, Munchkin Oz, and Munchkin Pathfinder), you can mix some boosters into one game and some into another so your opponents will be less sure of what is in what set. But that's a very advanced technique, especially if you only have one game to start out.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:26 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Everything Andrew said plus:

http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/boosters/
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
Sirskipptillion

Quote:
2. Get a new game.

You can also try an entirely new variety of Munchkin, such as Munchkin Zombies or Super Munchkin. These are full, complete games on their own. Most of them also play nicely when mixed with one another, so if you wanted to try steampunk cowboys, you can mix Munchkin Steampunk with The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin for a steam-powered Wild West game.
Sorry, my understanding is that new games have similar rules and share base cards with original munchkin, but have very different themes, similar to a really big booster, is that close to right, or are they something completely different?
Sirskipptillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirskipptillion View Post
Sorry, my understanding is that new games have similar rules and share base cards with original munchkin, but have very different themes, similar to a really big booster, is that close to right, or are they something completely different?
I'm not sure what you mean by "base cards." In some cases, there might be a duplication of Classes (Munchkin Legends, for example), but often times there are very few cards that are duplicated (Wishing Ring, Loaded Die, and Wandering Monster being the cards that seem the least likely to get re-named). Often times, there are new Classes, Races, or even something completely different (Accents in Munchkin Booty, or Loyalties in Munchkin Impossible).

However, all of these games can be blended together, sometimes with really cool effects, sometimes with really weird ones. Near the top of the FAQ, there is some discussion in at least one of the important notes about handling how certain types of cards work, and whether they represent the same concept, or something completely separate.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big deck, boosters, expansion, expansions, order