Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Infornific

Default Henchifying GURPS Action

I'm very fond of the GURPS DF: Henchmen supplement and it occurred to me GURPS Action could benefit from such a treatment. After looking over the templates. it seems to me you could just henchify the existing templates. They're not the best at what they do, but they're above average. Consider the following modifications to create 125 point templates:

Assassin

Attributes: Drop DX to 13, drop IQ to 11.
Characteristics: Drop Speed to 6.00
Advantages: Drop Craftiness to 1. Drop Luck. Drop optional Advantages to 15 points. Add Luck and Craftiness to optional Advantages.

Cleaner

Attributes: Drop DX and IQ to 12.
Characteristics: Drop Speed to 5.25
Advantages: Drop Luck and Unfazeable. Drop optional Advantages to 20 points. Add Luck and Unfazeable to optional Advantages.

Demolition Man

Attributes: Drop DX to 11. Drop IQ to 12. Drop HT to 11.
Characteristics: No changes
Advantages: Drop Enhanced Dodge and Luck. Drop optional Advantages to 25 points. Add Enhanced Dodge (Dive for Cover) and Luck to optional Advantages.

Face Man

Attributes: Drop DX to 11. Drop IQ to 13.
Advantages: Drop Luck. Drop Smooth Operator to +1. Drop optional Advantages to 20 points. Add Luck to optional Advantages.

Hacker

Advantages: Drop Luck and Quick Gadgeteer. Drop Born to be Wired to +3. Drop optional Advantages to 20 points. Add Born to be Wired and Luck to optional Advantages.

Infiltrator

Attributes: Drop DX to 13. Drop IQ to 11.
Advantages: Drop Luck and Perfect Balance. Drop optional Advantages to 20 points. Add Luck and Perfect Balance to optional Advantages.

Investigator

Characteristics: Drop Speed to 5.25.
Advantages: Drop Intuition and Luck. Drop optional Advantages to 20 points. Add Intuition and Luck to optional Advantages.

Medic

Attributes: Drop DX to 11. Drop IQ to 13. Drop HT to 11.
Advantages: Drop Higher Purpose and Luck. Drop Healer to +2. Drop optional Advantages to 20 points. Add Healer, Higher Purpose and Luck to optional Advantages.

Shooter

Attributes: Drop DX to 13. Drop IQ to 11.
Characteristics: No changes.
Advantages: Drop Gunslinger and Luck. Drop optional Advantages to 20 points. Add Luck to optional Advantages
Skills: Drop Acrobatics and Jumping from Primary skills. Seriously consider putting at least 8 points into your primary Gun skill.

Wheel Man

Attributes: Drop DX and IQ to 12. Drop HT to 11.
Characteristics: Drop Per to 12. Drop Speed to 6.00
Advantages: Drop Absolute Direction, Higher Purpose and Luck. Drop Driver's Reflexes to +3. Drop optional Advantages to 15 points. Add Absolute Direction, Driver's Reflexes, Higher Purpose and Luck to optional Advantages.

Wire Rat

Characteristics: Drop Per to 13. Drop Speed to 5.25.
Advantages: Drop Luck and Quick Gadgeteer. Drop Circuit Sense to +3. Drop optional Advantages to 25 points. Add Circuit Sense and Luck to optional Advantages.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Infornific

Default Re: Henchifying GURPS Action

OK, I've gotten views but no replies so I'm not sure anyone's interested. However, I already did the rest of the templates so I'll list them here. These are from Furious Fists. Since the henchmen versions lack Trained by a Master/Weapon Master, they will need Special Exercises or Unusual Training Perks to buy Exotic Advantages and cinematic techniques and skill. Consider those Perks add to Martial Arts Abilities for all these templates:

Big Guy

Attributes: Drop ST to 14. Drop DX and HT to 12.
Advantages: Drop DR, Luck and Trained by a Master. Drop optional Advantages to 15 points. Add DR and Luck to optional Advantages.
Martial Arts Abilities: Drop to 8 points

Fast Guy

Attributes: Drop DX to 14. Drop HT to 11.
Advantages: Drop Luck and Trained by a Master. Add Luck to optional Advantages.
Martial Arts Abilities: Drop to 10 points

Ninja

Attributes: Drop DX to 13. Drop IQ to 10.
Advantages: Drop Luck and Weapon Master. Drop optional Advantages to 20 points. Add Luck to optional Advantages.
Martial Arts Abilities: No changes

Traceur

Attributes: Drop DX to 13. Drop HT to 11.
Characteristics: Drop Per to 11
Advantages: Drop Luck, Perfect Balance and Trained by a Master. Drop optional Advantages to 20 points. Add Luck and Perfect Balance to optional Advantages.
Martial Arts Abilities: Drop to 10 points

Weapon Master

Attributes: Drop ST to 11. Drop DX to 13.
Advantages: Drop Enhanced Parry, Luck and Weapon Master. Drop optional Advantages to 20 points. Add Enhanced Parry and Luck to optional Advantages.
Martial Arts Abilities: Drop to 10 points. Add Heavy Weapons Perk to optional abilities.

I figured these scaled down templates could be used as a base for a low level team opposing a street level superhero or other 400 point type character, or as the base for generic high end grunts in a cinematic campaign. Alternately they could simply be used as PCs or NPCs in a low power action campaign. Or as henchmen for a high tech dungeon.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
sonic232

I think these would work awesomely and are a good baseline for a reduced-cost version of those templates. Reducing all the way down to 125 points really makes you consider what all is important to the template. I think nobody's commented because there's nothing really more to say. A good write-up on the concept of Henchmen in Action.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
Infornific

Thanks - I basically followed Kromm's logic - power levels in GURPS are distinguished more by points in Attributes and Advantages than skills. They could probably use more polishing - I keep wanting to give Perfect Balance back to the Traceur - but I think they're good for above average but not world's best characters. The original designs were very clean and easy to scale down.

Tags
action, henchmen, templates