Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #28
Phoenix_Dragon

Default Re: Fan Dungeon for GURPS DF now Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Only the last one is actually true. I might note that a 25% chance (roughly taking into account low damage rolls benefitting the players) per second (against two of them, like I said, which is highly likely for at least one midline fighter) knocking you down is high.
Be very careful using such simple mechanical chances in trying to determine the outcome of a fight. For example, according to such simple mechanics (And Nymdok's balancing formulas in particular), my PCs should have lost the last fight they were in, and lost horribly. Like 70% chance of the group "average" being hit and forced to death-check each second. And that was after rounding up all player abilities, assuming they used every single buff available (They didn't), that PCs struck only unarmored locations (Without even suffering hit location penalties), and completely ignoring the big demon-champion's most vicious attack, an explosive attack that couldn't even be fully dodged, and ended up being the only thing that caused even a little injury on them.

Also, I'd point to Bruno's line about "assuming those worst fighters aren't doing anything special to help in their own defense." That was an important distinction, which I'm sure is why she included it. Defenses can be bumped up nicely if you're focusing on it, from simple options like Retreat, Extra Effort, or choosing a defensive maneuver instead of a regular Attack, to more complex ones such as Defensive Grip, Cross-Parry, or defensive Feints. Poorer fighters, or support characters, are much more likely to use their full defensive options, sacrificing offensive power, to survive an attack, while the more capable damage-dealers focus on killing that attacker. And that's not even getting into the much more vague area of tactics, terrain, etc, which can greatly skew things.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, adventures, dungeon, dungeon fantasy, gurps dungeon fantasy