Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
GodBeastX

Default How does SM affect Ballistics/Beams?

I have not seen any information on how SM affects ballistics and beam weapons? Imagine you got a larger species of aliens, for example, how can one scale up weapons like a Heavy Pistol, or a blaster pistol, etc.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: How does SM affect Ballistics/Beams?

http://scigamer.blogspot.kr/2013/08/...modifiers.html

Well, this helps.

I hear there's some sort of Douglas Cole approved ballistic spreadsheet around that you could find, should help you figure out damage based on actual bullet dimensions. I'd figure the caliber of a comfortable gun scales linearly with the height of the user, and maybe you could put it all together to make rules for guns work?

Don't talk to me about beam weapons, though, I don't have a clue.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
I have not seen any information on how SM affects ballistics and beam weapons? Imagine you got a larger species of aliens, for example, how can one scale up weapons like a Heavy Pistol, or a blaster pistol, etc.
Damage and range wise? For beam weapons, this based on how tight of a focus the beam can maintain relative to its output. Assuming all things being equal (and at lest in GURPS, things are a bit more complicated in real life), the damage and range of the beam weapon will go up with the cube root of the size increase while power consumption will go up with the weight increase cubed.

For bullets... Things get complicated. With in a small increase regime you can get away with increasing the damage and range liner with the increase in weapon size so long as velocity remains constant.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Most human-scale rifles have a ST of 10 and weigh around 10 lbs for a 7d attack. An ST 20 alien could plausibly carry a rifle weighing 35 lbs and firing .50 BMG for a 12d attack. An even larger alien might carry a 20mm autocannon at 120+ lbs doing 18d per bullet.

Scaling up for ballistic weapons seems to rapidly hit diminishing returns: doubling damage increases weight by a factor of 8, tripling by a factor of 24, which suggests a cubic relation.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
weby

As said by others, it gets complicated fast, so using heavy crew served weapons as personal weapons at slightly higher strengths and then eventually tank guns when you get big enough...

You could of course use the rules for beam weapon design in pyramid #37 to design heavier weapons.

But in the basic approach you would go with going up the chart one step each time the ST and size raises enough to use the weapon in question in the lower role so for blasters:
Holdout Blaster->Blaster Pistol->Heavy Blaster Pistol->Blaster Carbine->Blaster Rifle->Heavy Blaster->Semi-Portable Blaster->Blaster Cannon

And the same way for other weapon types.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
GodBeastX

Alright, taking in all this, I guess my option is to just be "Close Enough" in the math proposed. Thanks for the input everybody.