Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Lamech

Default Re: Advantage affecting everyone in sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless One View Post
I've decided to add the hearing as a condition as well and to go for Afflication with Malediction, which eliminates the need for Affects Others. My draft writeup is now:

+1 to all weapon skills [2], effects of Striking ST 1 [5] and Mind Shield 1 [4], Affliction +110%, Malediction +100%, Doesn't Require Will Roll +5%, Sense-Based (Hearing and Vision) -15%, Emanation -20%, Doesn't Affect Self -50% [26]

I still need something like Area Effect and Selective Area, but taking Area Effect for +550% doesn't seem reasonable when extreme ranges will rarely if ever be used.
For hitting everyone add reduced time* 1, but you need to ditch emanation, and selective area. Its now instant, so you can fire it as much as you want, up to a reasonable limit (say once per person per second). To get rid of the roll you need both "Feature: only affects targets that waive resistance roll, set duration, and cosmic: no roll required." The +1 to all weapon skills will be a 10-15 point talent. Also note your range is limited by how far you can keep the modified will above 3. (So with will 10 your range is only 7 yards.) For more range add malediction +150%.

P.S. I'm not sure if reduced time works on maledictions/afflictions actually. I know its illegal for attacks but this isn't one. So that part of the build may be utterly wrong. The point of increased weapons skills, and the cosmic still stands though.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
Nameless One

Another question about this advantage, although it may be slightly out of topic. Since this advantage actually represents and exceptional use of Charisma, is it possible to add Limited Use (number of days equal to Charisma level) limitation? Would -30% be ok for a limitation like this?
Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
mhd

Quote:
I see your point. Another problem is that GURPS doesn't seem to offer a way to set a default duration without a roll.
Do you see a reason why Fixed Duration wouldn't apply here?
mhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
Nameless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
Do you see a reason why Fixed Duration wouldn't apply here?
The Psionic Powers again. I didn't take that one into account much. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
demonsbane

Quote:
Inspiring Leader
All who can see the character and are loyal to him (allies, dependants, etc), get +1 to weapon skills [2] and effects of Striking ST 1 [5] and Mind Shield 1 [4].
These effects remember me the ones included in Aura of Might and Aura of Focus in the Auras of Power article (Pyramid 3#19).

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
munin

For Affliction, I usually estimate both Self Only and Not Self as -20% Accessibilities. The fact that you are just one of possibly billions of targets is offset by the fact that you're always available to be targeted (and in practice would be the target most often affected).

If the uses are limited to your Charisma level, simply apply the correct value for your level (if you have Charisma 3, add Limited Use, 3/day, -20%). If your Charisma improves, you'll have to pay to improve your ability too. Charisma shouldn't change so often that it would be a problem.

Quote:
... I chose cost of 2 points for weapon skills bonus because it truly affects only one weapon skill, the one currently used...
It would be worth 2 points for a +1 bonus to a single skill, but only if that single skill is defined when the ability is created. If the ability can give a bonus to any combat skill, then that's afflicting a 15-point Talent (there are more than 12 combat skills). Just saying "it only helps the skill being used" isn't enough, because that could be anything. You have to actually define what you're improving.

You might be able to munchkin the cost by afflicting a modular ability each person could use to boost one specific skill, or by restricting the bonus to a specific (narrow*) purpose allowing you to afflict Higher Purpose, but that gets cheesy. I'd recommend just using the Talent -- it's worth what it's worth.

* "support my leader" or "defeat the enemy" isn't enough.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
Nameless One

I solved the initial problem, but next I needed to create a beneficial aura that is automatically effective as soon as an ally comes within certain range of the character, much like paladin's aura in D&D. Force Field would affect only attacks from the outside, which is not what I want. I found a useful detail in the FAQ which seems to solve a lot of dilemmas:

Quote:
Powers states that an always-on damage field requires Aura (+80%), Always On (-40%), and Melee Attack (-30%). That's a range 0, "if I touch you or you touch me" type of thing. An actual radius would amount to adding Area Effect on top of it all. That might not be "canon," but it's logical and the simplest way to do it. So a 4-yard field would add Area Effect 2 (+100%) and the net modifier would be +110%. I don't see any conflicts: Aura covers the "free attack" effect, Always On addresses the "constant effect" angle, Melee Attack takes care of the "ground zero is at range zero" element, and Area Effect handles the "blankets an area" aspect. You can omit Always On -- for a net +150% -- if you want it to work like an ordinary Aura that you can switch on and off. The other aspects don't seem negotiable.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #18
Langy

It should be Emanation instead of Melee Attack. Melee Attack isn't allowed on Area Effect abilities. That's a +10% increase in price.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #19
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
It should be Emanation instead of Melee Attack. Melee Attack isn't allowed on Area Effect abilities. That's a +10% increase in price.
Melee attack is specifically allowed on Aura+AOE abilities, that's right from the FAQ he's quoting there.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Melee attack is specifically allowed on Aura+AOE abilities, that's right from the FAQ he's quoting there.
That just means that the FAQ is wrong. Melee Attack is completely nonsensical when used in conjunction with Area-Effect. Alternatively, the Emanation limitation shouldn't even exist if you could take Melee Attack along with Area Effect, especially since Melee Attack results in a harsher penalty. Also, what penalty should you use? Is a 16 yard radius area effect a Reach 2 weapon? A Reach C weapon?

None of that makes any damned sense. That's why the Emanation limitation exists in the first place - to make it so that area effects originate from the user of the ability. That's what you want in that Aura.

Of course, the only problem with this is that Aura specifies it has to have Melee Attack at the -30% level, so I suppose that answers the question. Aura is a +50% enhancement for things that are ranged, and a +80% enhancement for things that are melee attacks already, period. I think that's a clearer description.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, auras, enhancement, pyramid 3/19, sense-based, sight